NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1991 Ski Nautique Stringer Replacement

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
bpurnell View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bpurnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1991 Ski Nautique Stringer Replacement
    Posted: January-31-2022 at 3:40pm
Hi Guys,

My 1991 Ski Nautique is in the shop right now having stringers replaced. I assumed that the main stringers had to be done in one piece. The shop is planning to use two pieces with splice right behind the in-floor cooler in front of engine compartment. The person working on it said the stringer was originally in two pieces nailed together. Can anyone comment on whether original construction was one or two piece main stringers, and if it is okay to use two piece stringers on a replacement job?

Thanks

Brian
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2022 at 8:03pm
Here's a link to the 91 brochure. They talk about the stringers in the brochure

I figure that if they had 2 piece nailed together stringers, they would proudly be advertising that feature and describing the nails in detail too  Wink

Are you the first and only owner of the boat or might it have been the victim of a "not so good" stringer job sometime in the past ?

A picture or 2 or 3 would be kinda interesting

bpurnell View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bpurnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2022 at 8:18pm
Keno

Thanks very much for your response. I will have to take some pictures next time I go to the shop.

I always assumed stringers were one piece, so when I ripped the floor out I didn’t even look to check. Hard for me to go against what shop is telling me because I didn’t check them, and they removed them.

If anyone else could confirm one or two pieces for middle stringers I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Brian
bpurnell View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bpurnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2022 at 8:20pm
I am not the first owner of the boat (I am the third owner) but I am positive that I am the first person to redo the floor.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2022 at 3:10am
I am not aware of any stringers being spliced.  I think one solid piece of wood has a lot more structural integrity when you are bouncing on wakes.  In all the stringer replacement threads on this forum I have yet to see one new stringer nailed together.   Might want to think over the shop choice.
bpurnell View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bpurnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2022 at 3:47am
Thanks for your feedback. I appreciate it.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2022 at 6:52am
They were not 2-pieced in any way that affected the structural integrity… but sometimes they tacked on pieces to the end to frame out the kick panel/air box etc. He is so close to the front of the boat at the battery box that I would direct him to go a little further forward and do the complete job.
wayoutthere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayoutthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2022 at 7:39am

They likely did find nails when the boat was cut open, the stringer system was pre built with 1 piece stringers and the crossmembers/bracing nailed in/on to the stringers before placing the assembly in a hull prior to being glassed in.

The first picture (A-D) is from a brochure in the reference section , pic A, shows a stringer system being constructed.
pic D, shows it being glassed in.

The second picture is from my boat, the main engine stringers in front of the engine where the pylon and seat crossmembers/bracing are located was the worst part of the floor and stringers.
The last picture and it can be seen in the second picture where glass wasn't laid because of pic A and  pic D.

The crossmembers were simply in the way of the guy on the right rolling on the resin, so glass just wasn't placed there,
It's outlined in magic marker.

Most likely, the construction and lamination process seen in the brochure pic was used when they began building fiberglass hulls all the way thru and up until they started using the fiberglass stringer system in 1993.

The stringers were 1 piece as built and the shop who performs the repairs for you should install 1 piece stringers individually with the cross members cut in and glassed individually as well (with fiberglass between each piece of wood) to stop or at least significantly slow water intrusion from going board to board,  that is my opinion of how wooden stringers should be rebuilt but that kind of work takes time and gets expensive.

wayoutthere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayoutthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2022 at 7:47am

You can see the crossmember location in the foam forward of the ski pylon.
bpurnell View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bpurnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2022 at 8:50am
Thanks very much for all the responses. I really appreciate them.

Brian
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic