Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Steering Pre-2001 Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
NeilMcG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NeilMcG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steering Pre-2001 Nautique
    Posted: January-15-2022 at 8:07pm
The steering wheel is loose on a 78 Nautique. It's only the wheel itself; the column seems solid. I'm looking for any reference material, like a diagram or service manual. It may have been rigged by the previous owner, so I'm hoping it's an easy fix. I really don't want to replace the whole steering mechanism, but I've never torn into the steering of a SN. 
Thanks

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2022 at 8:40am
Not being sure what you mean by the column, have you taken the wheel off of the shaft so you could verify that the shaft doesn't have any play?

The wheel and shaft are a taper fit with a key and a nut under the center cap if it's the original steering wheel
NeilMcG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NeilMcG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2022 at 11:46am
Yeah that was a bit confusing the way it reads.

This video clip actually shows it.

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2022 at 1:56pm
Your video probably shows up for you, but for the rest of us it says it private Wink
NeilMcG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NeilMcG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2022 at 4:15pm
NeilMcG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NeilMcG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2022 at 4:27pm
Thanks fot letting me know. All set now, its public.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2022 at 7:39pm
If you remove the inner part of the center cap, it looks like you'll find your problem.

You have to remove a barely visible thin retainer ring  with a small pick type tool, then you'll be looking at 3 machine screws that hold the 3 spokes to the hub, along with the big nut that holds the hub on the taper

The retainer ring can be a pain in the butt Wink

I think you'll probably find loose screws

Here's a couple of pictures of the wheel and the hub and the outer portion of the center cap No picture of the inner portion of the center cap or the retainer ring.

NeilMcG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NeilMcG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2022 at 8:28pm
This is extremely helpful.
Thank you!!

Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2022 at 1:24am
KENO:  You never cease to amaze me with your library of photos and knowledge of, well, "stuff".

I'm waiting for the launch of  www.KENOpedia.org
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic