NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

'82 SN "Cyndi" post refresh

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '82 SN "Cyndi" post refresh
    Posted: January-10-2022 at 10:16pm
Here is a photo of "Cyndi" after rehab. (the boat, not her...)
An '82 that was given to CC team skier Cyndi Benzel (nee. Matranga). I haven't replaced her name since the graphics redo. (Originally had "Cyndi Benzel" hand-painted in script on each side). I used some colors which I felt had a bit more 'pop', while staying true to the original scheme. Runs exceptionally well. 

1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2022 at 10:54pm
Sweet !!!!!!!!!

1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2022 at 11:32pm
Great Looking Boat, my buddy Pat dated Cyndi, I skied with Pat a lot but never met Cyndi skied with her brother and her dad but she was away on the National Tour back then.
wetskier2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2022 at 8:09am
beautiful... Before pic??
Current: 1997 Nautique

Previous: 1987 Nautique

1964 American Skier
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2022 at 8:59am
Beautiful. Cool story.
Is cyndi still skiing
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2022 at 10:32am
Here's a before, and a bit of a story for winter reading:

July, 2019. Driving to Tahoe, saw this at boat dealer in Rocklin, Ca. Stopped to have a look. Filthy (esp. engine) but started and ran fine. Floors, upholstery, and carpet had been done. Asking $4500. Offered $2500. Not 5 minutes back on road phone rang. $2500. Pick it up on way home. Pretty much sat while I did bare-metal restos of '65 Porsche 912 and '69 Boss Mustang and complete re-upholster of Dunphy. This one fairly easy. Pulled powertrain, re-built short block, snapped on some GT-40 heads, cleaned it up. Sanded/polished hull bare, then painted stripes and added decals. replaced fuel sender...usual stuff. This is my 4th 2001, and arguably the best. Solid. Wakes are....well....it's a 2001. But did manage to slalom. Now that I have a '94, not sure where this one goes....
Yes, Cyndi Benzel is alive, well, and according to her, "still skiing behind a Nautique" while living in Florida. She remembers getting the boat, and over the course of her career, did receive several 'trophies'. 
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2022 at 10:53am
Super nice!! I would have been really conflicted about removing her name which I would guess might have been her signature..  Custom decals can be made for reasonable money these days... Thumbs Up 

1964 American Skier
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2022 at 11:25am
Agree about the "Cyndi Benzel"..but what is done is not necessarily done...

Had to sand hull bare to re-do it. Made good tracing of her name before, and have good sign painter who can repaint her name just as it was. Up to the next owner...
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"

MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2022 at 12:08pm
Nice work on that Nautique, you get right with it.   Now, for pictures of the 69 BOSS!
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2022 at 6:09am
Originally posted by MourningWood MourningWood wrote:

An '82 that was given to CC team skier Cyndi Benzel (nee. Matranga) for winning '82 National slalom title.

Art or Jody can confirm but I don't think she got her "signature" boat because she won the slalom title. I'm pretty sure ALL the Nautique team skiers back in 82 got a Nauti and was asked to sign it. Jody has or had Carl Roberge's SN and someone here has Cindy Todds SN. She might even still have it. I'll have to ask her hubby Les or even Cindy when we see him or them at the Ruckus. Not sure about the rest of them.

At any rate ...I'm glad to see it restored to her glory. Definitely Cool
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2022 at 7:56am
What did you do to refurb the hull? (every time I compound my boat for the haziness I hear an old buddy telling me "don't be scared, it's only oxidation". I'm scared anyway Cool)

1964 American Skier
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2022 at 8:25am
Looks great!
While I appreciate "originality" the color changes do "pop" and look excellent. Nice work!
Js
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2022 at 8:44am
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

Originally posted by MourningWood MourningWood wrote:

An '82 that was given to CC team skier Cyndi Benzel (nee. Matranga) for winning '82 National slalom title.

Art or Jody can confirm but I don't think she got her "signature" boat because she won the slalom title. I'm pretty sure ALL the Nautique team skiers back in 82 got a Nauti and was asked to sign it. Jody has or had Carl Roberge's SN and someone here has Cindy Todds SN. She might even still have it. I'll have to ask her hubby Les or even Cindy when we see him or them at the Ruckus. Not sure about the rest of them.

At any rate ...I'm glad to see it restored to her glory. Definitely Cool

I doubt that she got the boat for winning Slalom at the 82 Nationals, since Deena Brush  was the winner that year. Wink

She (Cyndi) did win Slalom in 1980, Overall in 1981 and Tricks and Overall in 1982

And to kinda go along with what Morfoot said here's a quote from Jody from an old thread

Originally posted by Fl Inboards Fl Inboards wrote:

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by Fl Inboards Fl Inboards wrote:

1984 Ski Nautique, No motor
Jody

Jody,
What happened to this one? Did it have a Ford in it and now you pull it with one of your Chevy's???

No this one is kinda like a not sure what to do with. It has some history as during that time period Correct Craft had their contract skiers signitures on their boats, this one has Carl Roberge on it in big hand painted script. I also know where the Cindy Todd boat is as one of mt best freinds has it. I am also not one of those guy's that belive in total orginality of boats especially having been part of a design team and seen some of the crap that gets out the door design wise.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2022 at 11:44am
Thanks for the kind words, and great input.
Never let the truth ruin a good story....Cool
Maybe it was for the '82 overall? Maybe it was for nuthin'...
The "82 slalom championship" thing came from the second owner (79-year old woman) who bought it from Cyndi. I bought it from her through the dealer on consignment. She must have been mistaken, and I never bothered to corroborate the story. Cyndi did tell me that she had received several Nautiques with signatures over her career.....maybe they were the CC teams 'promo' boats...appreciate the intel...
Come to think of it, when I was sanding the hull I saw faint remnants of "Deena Brush"...Geek
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"

MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2022 at 12:37pm
Just a tidbit, both Deena and Cyndi were Sacramento Water Ski Club members so they got their start here.  Unfortunately I am not aware of any since those two that have reached the top level in National events.
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2022 at 2:42pm
Damn.  That 2001 is fine-looking.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
j-draper@outlook.com View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j-draper@outlook.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2022 at 10:36am
 I have an '84 that needs fresh paint.  Does any one have a shop near Dallas that they'd recommend? 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic