Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1983 ski Nautique 2001 blueprints

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Skigeaux View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skigeaux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1983 ski Nautique 2001 blueprints
    Posted: March-07-2022 at 12:48pm
Hello,

I see you are in New Orleans. I am just East of you in Kiln, MS and beginning a total redo on my 1982 2001. Also from New Orleans originally. Could be good to get together and compare notes, ideas, etc.. Phone is 504-931-7999 and name is Charles.
Chas.kearney@gmail.com
Wilhelm Hertzog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2022 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by boat rider boat rider wrote:

Absolutely I would like to hear of the settup there is never too much good info.

Apologies for taking so long, but here are some pictures of my setup. And apologies for the untidy state of things in the pictures, but I have a few things I'm working on, hence the cardboard/paper covering etc.

I had stringers and floor replaced when I bought the boat (all wood replaced with Nidacore), and the shop that did the stringers and floor for me also built and installed the tanks for me. For regulatory reasons I had to have a lot of foam added under the floor for buoyancy, so the factory battery box etc. all had to go. The tanks work really well as seating in the boat. Only drawback is that the side tanks cut down quite a bit on working space around the engine when one has to work on the engine.

The port and starboard tanks cover most of the space from the stern to the front of the boat, to a point in line with the front of the engine cover.They fit in snug below the coaming pads. They're bonded to the floor with 4200, and have a piece of fibreglass attaching them to the hull at the front. The tanks (except for the front) have sight windows with float level indicators.

The aft tank fits in between the two side tanks. It has two 'wings', which slide in behind the side tanks and keeps it from moving forward. It rests on the stringers, which have a small step in them (marked in red in the picture below) which the tanks snugs up against, preventing it from sliding back.

The green thru-hulls supply the pumps which fill and drain the tanks.

The front tank is fitted under the bow, held in place with a bit of fibreglass. It is shaped to accomodate the battery. It does make it impossible to access the navigation light without pulling the tank (likely a big job), but so far I haven't had to do that.

The pieces of wood glassed onto the front tank is for screwing a kick panel onto, which holds speakers, amplifier and fire extinguisher (regulatory requirement in South Africa).

Each tank is drained and filled with its own pump. The pumps are mounted at the back of the two side tanks, and against the sides of the hull next to the fuel tank.  Each pump is mounted on a piece of PVC foam core material that is bonded to the tank/hull with 4200. Mounting and plumbing those pumps was a major PITA, because there is very little space to work with.

The side and aft tanks fill/drain fittings as well as the overflow/vent fittings are at the rear. In hindsight the overflow/vent should have been at the front, as I do lose some water through the overflow while underway, with the bow of the boat higher than the stern. I intend  to plumb in a long loop under the gunwales for each tank to address this issue.

The hard tanks does add weight to the boat, so if you're concerned about keeping the smallest slalom wake possible, ballast bags may be better. But filling and draining the hard tanks are much less of a hassle than bags, and as I said, the tanks serve as really convenient seating as well, so overall I'm very happy with the setup.
1982 Ski Nautique PCM351W RR II Velvet Drive 10-17-003 1:1 II PerfectPass Stargazer
Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
boat rider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2022 at 7:27pm
Absolutely I would like to hear of the settup there is never too much good info.
Wilhelm Hertzog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2022 at 3:27pm
I have four ballast tanks built into my 2001. Shout if you'd like more info on my setup.
1982 Ski Nautique PCM351W RR II Velvet Drive 10-17-003 1:1 II PerfectPass Stargazer
Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2022 at 8:59pm
Great that’s awesome info on the ballast. As far as it sinking i have heard of people adding 1750 pounds in ( not the brightest idea but nevertheless it works.) I really appreciate how above and beyond y’all go to help me out.
wayoutthere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayoutthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2022 at 6:29pm
I'll try to explain a ballast tank idea thought up after your post today, not to scale and funny looking but think it work.

Get some melamine board, frp or masonite, the masonite has been successful for me, so has pvc board.
Remember to store your frp on a flat surface like the bed in the spare room, but keep the melamine and masonite out in the shed unless or untill you have to put it in the dining room so the balsa core can be cut to fit the transom template for a patio table project which oddly enough is in progress right now. 

Actually for some ballast tanks to make the mold in this case i'd use masonite because it's light and easy to work with, and with some planning can be used over and over.

It ends up being a funny looking half a box with the hullside and bottom closing it up.

Fit masonite to the hullside by scribing to fit, once you have 2 pieces cut a top and face.
It will go from the hull bottom up to the gunnel but not up under it because you need room to fiberglass it into place.

A fiberglass box could be fitted along the hullside next to the engine, another behind it that goes almost all the way back to the transom.
A big one under the deck would make 5 ballast tanks that dont take up floor space beyond the gunnels.

Lay your masonite box down and install some dowel rods, say 1/2 inch dowel for a 1 inch hose.

(fill, vent, drain tube locations in the box would have to be determined and some pump research is in order to see how many and what size tubes you need) ( think i'd fill them thru clamshells and forward motion, pump to drain) 

Glass up the box and wrap the dowel rod until you have the diameter you want, after the glass dries, pop it off the masonite, drill out your dowels and bingo ya got some molded in hose barbs.
Glass the 1/2 boxes right onto the hull sides and hull bottom

3-5 coats of meguires #8 maximim mold release on every and anthing you want to pull fiberglass off of

5 x18 x 48 inch tank is 18 gallons, say you got 2 tanks with 30 gallons a side and another 40 under the deck,
100 gallons 700 pounds spread out from front to back, it might go red october better ask how much extra weight that hull is good for.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayoutthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2022 at 5:53pm
67 ski nat, thanks for the kind words.

Boatrider, first pic is how i made an elevation drawing of the stringer so the parts could be re located after the new stringers were installed.
Second pic is how i would mark and cut out a bad floor, with a 2 foot level as a straight edge along the gunnel and mark both sides on the floor. Lots of options for rebuild depending on which direction you take plus more can always be trimmed off.

Lets wait until you decide how you want the floor and if there will be foam.

Another post coming with a ballast idea since you mentioned it.

ScottZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScottZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2022 at 5:10pm
This boat is actually a "barn find".  It has been sitting for 10 years.  The wind blew part of the roof off the barn a few years ago.  All original, unmolested.  Cats have been living in it.  Field mice have probably chewed up the wires as well.  The guy said $1500 is the least he will take.  The floor seems firm.
Scott Zuelzke
Lake Mitchell , AL

1984 Ski Nautique       
1972 Skier
ScottZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScottZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2022 at 5:07pm
Scott Zuelzke
Lake Mitchell , AL

1984 Ski Nautique       
1972 Skier
ScottZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ScottZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2022 at 4:46pm

That’s perfect. Do you have any information on the listing a phone number possibly?

John Thacker
205-755-9035
Verbena, AL
Scott Zuelzke
Lake Mitchell , AL

1984 Ski Nautique       
1972 Skier
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2022 at 8:30am
Hey boat rider. Have you looked at WOTs (wayouthere) project. Seems similar to your work ahead. WOTs is impressive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2022 at 1:31am
Originally posted by wayoutthere wayoutthere wrote:

What's your plan ? Factory/factory in appearance, custom.

I am trying for a half custom half factory if that makes sense. I want the seating and drivetrain factory(basically anything that affects the proformance) or as close as possible but I would like to add a tower, perfect pass,(I am a course skier) rear ballast bags and hand routed eva foam flooring.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayoutthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2022 at 10:13pm
not as stripped as it first sounded, windshield rubrail grab rails strut rudder steering engine/pylon mount good pylon w/ the ring tracking fins, it's got the cool hood scoop, nice color combo.

An engine and transmission will come along and the interior components are easy enough to fabricate.

I would start by making an elevation drawing of the starboard main stringer, from the transom moving forward measure the steering knuckle bolt hole distance from transom and height off the hull bottom then the engine mount then the engine mount bolts/lags. 
Mark your stringers vertically every foot and with a 2 foot level across the main stringers measure down for heights. 

(another member suggested leaving a few inches of the floor around the hull sides as a reference)
This is a great idea but i would leave approx 6 inches (i'll snap a picture to better explain & i got some what i would have done ideas)

Pull all of the screws out of the stringers and save them, they add up fast.

The engine mount determines your stringer width when you install then but that's a little ways off yet.

What's your plan ? Factory/factory in appearance, custom.

It'll be worth the effort and something to be proud of both along the way and when finished.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2022 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

Hull doesn't look to be in bad shape, like he said you might get by without wet sanding, and without having to replace decals.  I guess it depends on what level of resto you are doing.  Stringers are definitely bad?  Since you have them fully exposed it should be easy to evaluate.

Glad to see the pictures, definitely will be a project but you'll have a pretty impressive boat when you are done!
What a great project. Where the photo cuts out the stringer is pretty much hollow, and the floor is soft on the other side. Is there a specific type of wood you need for the floor and stringers? I know it needs to be marine grade but is the plywood 1/2 or 3/4 inch, or does it matter? Thanks for the good wishes everybody.

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2022 at 5:40pm
Hull doesn't look to be in bad shape, like he said you might get by without wet sanding, and without having to replace decals.  I guess it depends on what level of resto you are doing.  Stringers are definitely bad?  Since you have them fully exposed it should be easy to evaluate.

Glad to see the pictures, definitely will be a project but you'll have a pretty impressive boat when you are done!
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2022 at 5:33pm
Oh it does. Looks nice. Will prob polish up well. If it were me I’d start with compound on the gel and then polish and wax the whole thing (I would not use compound on the paint and decals). Question is if the compound brings the gel back or if you will need to do some wet sanding. Watch out with products on the paint and stickers…try a small spot first if you are trying to preserve.
78 Ski Tique, 72 Skier w/302's, 93 SN w/351 & 17 GS22 w/zr409
Previous - 99 Sport Nautique w/GT40 and 87 Martinique w/351

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2022 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Its white just the lighting is off

No, not white… taffy ivory.

https://www.correctcraftfan.com/reference/bview.asp?id=17#image20
Thanks good to know. i honestly thought it needed a good polishing.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2022 at 4:11pm

No, not white… taffy ivory.

https://www.correctcraftfan.com/reference/bview.asp?id=17#image20

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2022 at 3:12pm

wetskier2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2022 at 2:54pm
That's a nice looking boat... Off white hull??
Current: 1997 Nautique

Previous: 1987 Nautique

1964 American Skier

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2022 at 1:46pm
I wasnt kidding when I said it would be a PROJECT. It will take work that i am wiling to put in.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2022 at 1:44pm
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2022 at 12:48pm

Originally posted by Smithfamily Smithfamily wrote:

Welcome aboard Claude! Exciting project! Post some pictures when you can?
Here are a few I have so far.

Now about those pictures, I think you have some fixin' to do on the links, since every one says "website can't be reached" in this thread and the other one that you posted the same links in  Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2022 at 5:00pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2022 at 9:48am
That’s perfect. Do you have any information on the listing a phone number possibly?
ScottZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScottZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2022 at 10:54am
Hey Claude.  I am located in Central AL.  I looked at a 1982 Ski Nautique that is complete earlier this week that can be purchased for $1500.   It is all together. No trailer.  That might be a good option for you to complete your parts needs for your build. 
Scott Zuelzke
Lake Mitchell , AL

1984 Ski Nautique       
1972 Skier
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2022 at 8:58am
Welcome aboard Claude! Exciting project! Post some pictures when you can? (The fellas in the frozen North love to keep warm around their computer screen, observe and comment!!) Good Luck and if you are serious about this adventure, you sure are in the right place!!
Js

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayoutthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2022 at 1:13pm
It sounds like an opportunity for all your parts unless i'm misunderstanding the post from member "aupatking"

https://correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=50262&PID=603413򓔕
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2022 at 8:41am
Excellent news that your family knows boats, answers a lot of questions
Sounds like your in much better position to get this done. You said all right things
Good luck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2022 at 10:27pm
Thank you all this is more than enough help. I am sure I will have plenty of questions along the way and am so glad I have a place to get answers
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic