Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GPS versus Airguide

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
wetskier2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GPS versus Airguide
    Posted: December-26-2021 at 8:08am
I've often wondered about a GPS speedo for our 1997.... Isn't the GPS speed over land? We ski on a river that usually has a fairly strong current... Would a GPS unit be inaccurate by the speed of the river current? (insert snarky comment about a plane on a treadmill)...
Current: 1997 Nautique

Previous: 1987 Nautique

1964 American Skier
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2021 at 8:22am
Yes
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2021 at 8:32am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Yes

And the plane will take off too Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2021 at 9:17am
Do the GPS systems have a function to allow for a river current? Of course, it would probably need to be reset every time you turn around and go the other way, but....

No skiing on the river today.

1964 American Skier
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2021 at 9:58am
In my old 1994 Ski Nautique, I had one (1) new GPS speedo and one (1) original AirGuide speedo, side-by-side on my dash.  If you can configure something similar, you can set the AirGuide to match the Speedo in still water.  Then you can use difference between the GPS and AirGuide to see what the river current flow / speed is.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2021 at 10:49am
We ski on a river, most of the time there is not much current, but at times it's significant.  My gps PP just goes at the speed (over land, as you said) it's set, so either we adjust speed a little based on direction or ignore the variance.

And then there's the annoying lapse of gps connection when we go under a highway bridge, sometimes the boat surges faster, sometimes bogs down, can't seem to decide what to do but it recovers quickly.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2021 at 10:49am
Originally posted by wetskier2000 wetskier2000 wrote:

Do the GPS systems have a function to allow for a river current? Of course, it would probably need to be reset every time you turn around and go the other way, but....

No skiing on the river today.

Where is that?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2021 at 11:27am
Hudson. I only have minor complaints about the stock Airguides. I think we'd need one for PP or the like... They get clogged regularly in the fall. Unless someone has started to reproduce them, the pickups are no longer available. we have 1 black stocker and 1 white aftermarket.

1964 American Skier
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2021 at 11:58am
I thought I saw pickups available somewhere, will have to look, I need one.  I have one Airguide replaced with PP, the other isn't working due to pickup being broken.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2021 at 3:30pm
If you want a  pickup that's much more resistant to clogging, the Faria in the link below works great.

The inlet to the pitot is different and has much more of a sharp weed and leave cutting edge.

The hole spacing on the 2 bottom holes is a teeny bit wider than the 2 holes on the Airguide pickup, but a little work with a jewelers file makes quick work of that.

2 screws ( or 3 if you want to drill another hole), a little of your favorite sealant and you're all set

A little shopping around will find some better prices too  

If you're a "keep it original type" don't bother with any of this Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2021 at 7:06pm
interesting, looks a lot like the white one I have on the port side right now... thanks...

1964 American Skier
jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2021 at 10:18am
Bought some black speedo pick ups from NautiqueParts a few years back.  Not original, but look pretty good.

pjsmoreno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjsmoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2022 at 4:27pm
I didn't think they still made these speeddo pick ups!!
Thanks for the link Keno

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2022 at 5:00pm
I ordered one (plus a few other items) from Skidim.

pjsmoreno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjsmoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2022 at 3:12pm
Just haven't got to the point of breaking one so I really never look for one.
Always been on the back of my mind what would I do if I did......

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2022 at 4:01pm
The one I broke was by being a little too aggressive pulling the hose off....

1964 American Skier
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic