Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New horn no beep

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
wayoutthere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayoutthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New horn no beep
    Posted: December-05-2021 at 4:46pm

Thanks in advance for helping me sort out more electrical black magic.

New horn new harness/relay kit, new button. If the hole wasn't drilled in the dash, i wouldn't waste anybody's time looking for help.

I cut the harness ONE wire at a time to fit the boat so nothing is crossed.
So far i cut 30 red, 85 red, 86 black and 1 of 3 black wires that come out of the center of the relay plug.

--30 is fused and run to hot.

--from the middle of the plug there are 3 blacks 1 is clearly a ground that i shortened and crimped on a new ring terminal

the other 2 blacks are still in looms with 2 red 87 wires

the relay does not have a spade that goes into the middle slot in the plug

--85 red to button (that has 5 spades) the middle 3 are nc and no i have continuity when the button is pressed.

--86 black is not in the directions.

there is voltage to 30 in the plug

there is no voltage to 85 red

there is no voltage to either 87 reds

continuity exists thru all wires back to the plug.

no idea no clue no vowels or swear words left,

what did i do wrong ?

how do i make it beep ?

what do i need to get ?

Pinching #30

#30 is fused

Hot 30 and ground from center of plug now disconnected

Disconnected ground

Red 85 black 86

Macho Grande horns from fiamm

2 reds from 87, 3 blacks from the center of plug 2 are in looms that go to the horns. 1 black was clearly a ground

2 reds 87 and blacks from center of plug for the horns

New button-- the 2 terminals with blue ink have continuity when button pushed, no direction with button, no idea what the other spades do.

The directions came with harness relay kit

Came with horns

Came with horns

Double checked but no clear button wiring or black 86 direction

Relay on left came with horns, both relays are the same
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2021 at 5:04pm
I would bypass the relay by removing the connector at either 30 or 87 and touch them together and check if the horn blows.
92 SN - Owned since 93
99 Pro Air
89 SN - Went to live on a lake in Texas
75 Donzi 16 - Sold in 93
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2021 at 5:19pm
Your hand drawn picture shows 85 and 86 reversed from the instructions.  86 should be 12v and 85 should go to ground through the push button.  The coil should activate either way but I would connect it per the instructions anyway.
92 SN - Owned since 93
99 Pro Air
75 Donzi 16 - Sold in 93
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2021 at 5:35pm
If you don't have 12v on one side of the relay coil either 85 or 86 then the coil will not activate when the other side is grounded.  You stated no voltage at 85 so that is probably why it's not working.
92 SN - Owned since 93
99 Pro Air
75 Donzi 16 - Sold in 93
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2021 at 5:40pm
Looking back into the plug when disconnected from the relay you should have continuity between 30 and either 85 or 86 depending how you wired it.
92 SN - Owned since 93
99 Pro Air
75 Donzi 16 - Sold in 93

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayoutthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2021 at 6:29pm
The harness came pre wired to the plug and i didn't re wire the plug.  Most likely i don't understand what your saying.

I shortend 30, i shortened 1 of the 3 blacks that come out of the center of the plug that had a big ring terminal on it,
30 red to hot, black with big ring terminal to ground strip.

my drawing is probably marked wrong, i was aggravated.

I have voltage to 30, no voltage at end of red 85 with relay plugged in.
Didn't check for voltage on black 86, thought it was a ground.

Im finding out the pre made harness is not a do all and there needs to be a seperate wire from the button to the ground strip, the black 86 isn't used (but it's there and has a wire) 

Still don't understand what i missed or what is wrong, thank you for chiming in so quick and helping me.

Knew i shouldn't have have drilled that hole.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2021 at 6:56pm
I can explain how the circuit works and maybe that will help you figure it out.  The relay has an internal coil between 85 and 86.  When the coil is activated it closes the relay.  One side of the coil is connected to 12V at 86.  The other side of the coil, 85,  is connected to the button.  The button is connected to ground.  When the button is pushed it connects the coil to ground and activates the relay.  When the relay is closed it connects 30 and 87 together which applies 12v to the horns.

You should have 12v at 30 and 86 all the time.  When the button is pushed you should have 12v at 30, 86 and 87.

You should have continuity to ground on one side of the button and at the horns.  You can check this to the negative battery terminal with the battery connected.
92 SN - Owned since 93
99 Pro Air
75 Donzi 16 - Sold in 93

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayoutthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2021 at 7:29pm
I can explain how the circuit works and maybe that will help you figure it out.  The relay has an internal coil between 85 and 86.  When the coil is activated it closes the relay. 

One side of the coil is connected to 12V at 86.   86 at the plug with relay out ?--- via 30 which is connected to hot and shows 12 volts at the plug. And the wire coming out of 86 is not used ?

The other side of the coil, 85,  is connected to the button. Ok, got that

The button is connected to ground. How, a seperate ground wire or the third wire coming from 87a and that wire doesn't go to the ground strip, as in the relay harness isn't grounded ?

When the button is pushed it connects the coil to ground and activates the relay.  When the relay is closed it connects 30 and 87 together which applies 12v to the horns.

You should have 12v at 30 and 86 all the time.  At the plug with relay out ?

When the button is pushed you should have 12v at 30, 86 and 87. There is always 12 volt at the 30 plug, 86 and 87 will be hot with relay in and button pushed right ?

You should have continuity to ground on one side of the button and at the horns.  You can check this to the negative battery terminal with the battery connected

I will be back on it at first light and check whats hot not and continuity or not. 

Thanks 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2021 at 7:51pm

One side of the coil is connected to 12V at 86.   86 at the plug with relay out ?--- via 30 which is connected to hot and shows 12 volts at the plug. And the wire coming out of 86 is not used ?  Should be 12v with or without the relay.  30 and 86 are not connected internal to the coil so if there is a wire coming out of 86 it should be connected to 12v at either the wire going to 30 or at your 12v source (same as the wire coming out of 30.

The other side of the coil, 85,  is connected to the button. Ok, got that

The button is connected to ground. How, a seperate ground wire or the third wire coming from 87a and that wire doesn't go to the ground strip, as in the relay harness isn't grounded ?  A wire should go from one side of the button to a ground source.  87a is the normally closed output of the relay and is not used.

You should have 12v at 30 and 86 all the time.  At the plug with relay out ? It should be there with or without the relay connected.

When the button is pushed you should have 12v at 30, 86 and 87. There is always 12 volt at the 30 plug, 86 and 87 will be hot with relay in and button pushed right ? 86 should be hot all the time.  87 only when the button is pushed.

92 SN - Owned since 93
99 Pro Air
75 Donzi 16 - Sold in 93
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2021 at 7:15am
Originally posted by wayoutthere wayoutthere wrote:

knew i shouldn't have have drilled that hole.

Just put the switch in the hole with nothing hooked to it and get one of those really loud hand held horns Wink

And just remember there are a handful of ways to wire a Bosch type relay to do what you're doing, but the instructions you have work.

You made it through everything else, this is just a little tiny bump in the road.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayoutthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2021 at 2:20pm

thank you for the help, it was 86 black like you said, connected it to 12 volt source and it works great.
totally stumped, figured it was black and therefore a ground. Really appreciate it.

got dual usb charger and the horns completed, twisted the pairs thread them thru added 2 cushion clamps and 4 zip ties, keep it clean-'ish'

Everything you'd want in a horn loud and obnoxious, (the delay must be in the camera)

https://youtu.be/c7B2fhRAuxE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2021 at 4:04pm
Nice.  I wouldn't expect that wire to be black either.
92 SN - Owned since 93
99 Pro Air
75 Donzi 16 - Sold in 93
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2021 at 1:31pm
I'm old enough to remember the good old days when life was simple.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayoutthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2021 at 5:25am
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

I'm old enough to remember the good old days when life was simple.

Thats what i'm saying no black magic, the other boat has a boom blasters horn.
Red yellow black from the horn. Follow the written in english directions and your good to go.

The relay directions were in ancient hyroglithics not the written word.
Good thing theres some egyptologists on the site
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2021 at 10:10am
Directions! Who follows directions? Throw out the relay and wire it direct.  Just don't use that cheesy button they provided it would probably melt.
92 SN - Owned since 93
99 Pro Air
75 Donzi 16 - Sold in 93
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic