NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

176 Rudder Swap

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 176 Rudder Swap
    Posted: November-26-2021 at 6:42pm
Finally pulled the trigger.  I never thought it was critical to swap out the crappy stainless rudder because I thought it was fine/adequate.  However, as we spend more and more time in the slalom course, and maybe pulling on the boat a little harder, I decided it was time to make the swap.  I was always a bit nervous about it as I dont like working with underwater holes in my boat and I wasnt in love with the idea of having to ream out the rudder port hole.  But, how hard could it be?

Before (and comparison)

This is the difference between the old port and the new.  Pretty minimal difference to ream out.

This little sanding drum  made quick work of the expansion

Completed

Havent water tested it yet.  3 steps:  1-will the boat sink  2-will it actually turn in the intended direction, both ways, 3- will it improve tracking, as claimed, tho I might have to wait till next spring and dragging someone through the course to find that out.  Looking forward to my test drives.

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2021 at 7:59pm

Now you won't be wondering any more Wink
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2021 at 8:12pm
Since Pete isn’t around I’ll step in… you bored the hole, not reamed it.

Any other off season boat upgrades planned?
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2021 at 9:52pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Well, I'll be.  Can still learn something new here every day.  I would have thought "bore" meant a new hole, not an expanded hole.

Nothing performancewise, but cosmetically....funny you should ask.  Three new skins from C&S just arrived in the mail today, skins that I ordered in April!!!  Another one of Nautique's not such a great idea was the embroidered stripe under the "Correct Craft" on the seat backs.  A definite weak spot that on my back seat and observer seat, split.  Stupid design.  So I got those two pieces along with the observer seat bottom, which split at a seam. Cant stand to see brown foam sticking out in boat seats, so I sewed them up with fishing line and least to close them up and keep them from spreading. Got me through the season.

Otherwise, just offseason freshening up, still looks pretty good for a boat that spends all summer in the water.

Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Now you won't be wondering any more 

What I am really wondering about is if I will really notice any difference, or has it all been overblown, especially with a five month break in between.

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2021 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Nothing performancewise, 

Unless you know anyone who is giving away (or almost giving away) a newer Perfect Pass or Stargazer.  That would be a nice addition, but not $1200 nice (or even $800 nice, as Jody just advertised a SG for that)
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2021 at 6:36am
Come on now - let the 4200 cure and lets splash it 
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2021 at 6:49am

Here we go trying to get all technical with terms

I'd just say that you made the hole bigger and leave it at that Wink
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2021 at 6:59am
Originally posted by NCH20SKIER NCH20SKIER wrote:

Come on now - let the 4200 cure and lets splash it 

What Greg said

You barely do anything to "winterize" down there and your 10 day forecast looks "OK"

It'll run a little more StaBil through your carburetor

Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

I am also in central NC, and although its a huge improvement over central NY or Cape Cod or Connecticut, it can still get cold enough to ruin an engine.  Happened to a neighbor of mine.  

I dont winterize other than to drain it.  That way, it is always ready for one of those rare, but it does happen on a gorgeous, warm winter day, ski outing.  I am careful about thorough draining, including all ports on engine, and trans cooler.  I am thinking this year of stabil in the tank as well, as in the spring I have been known to have a gunky carb.  
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2021 at 9:32am
+1
78 Ski Tique, 72 Skier w/302's, 93 SN w/351 & 17 GS22 w/zr409
Previous - 99 Sport Nautique w/GT40 and 87 Martinique w/351
DVskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2021 at 9:46am
I highly recommend installing the Perfect Pass Star Gazer if you’re skiing the course. I did it about 5 years ago and it greatly improves your consistency as you know exactly what the pull is every time. 
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2021 at 12:50pm
Come on Larry!  I am winterized already but its going to be 65 here on Thursday and I am hoping I get to winterize again!  Inquiring minds need to know before next spring.  Do it for the family....ClapWink
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2021 at 1:05pm
What do they say:   Take one for the Team!
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2021 at 1:05pm
A test drive is no issue.  I had hoped to last weekend, but schedule opening didnt happen. Like you said, maybe later this week when it is supposed to be low 70s, but that will only be a test drive, not a test pull.  Even if I wanted to ski, not sure I can conjure up a driver, plus, that wouldnt put me in the driver seat to feel for myself as I doubt I could talk someone else into skiing.  I'll keep y'all posted if anything develops.

Edit-Later that same day.  So due to all the pressure I've been subjected to, to try this, I dropped it in this afternoon.  Left it on the trailer on the ramp for a while to make sure there were no catastrophic leaks.  A few drops from the top of the rudder port, so about 1 more turn to the packing gland nut and that was good.  Took if for a spin, yes, pretty much a literal spin, or several. Ran well, maneuvered well, turned well and equally, both ways, very responsive.  Better than before?  Hard to say.  The real test will be dragging a hard pulling skier through the course, and that, will not be happening until april-ish.  Glad I did it?  Sure, if nothing else, it looks cooler on the trailer.

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2022 at 11:20am
Must be time for an update of some kind to this thread..................more pressure Wink
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2022 at 10:24am
Fair question Ken. Have been skiing a few times but only once with slalom course as we have been dealing with our typical spring winds. Is it better? I suppose so? It’s certainly not an amazing, life changing, orders of magnitude difference that some claim the swap to be, but, like I said, I suppose it might track a little better. It’s a little tighter, more responsive in the corners. My partners like it and claim it to be an improvement. They might be better judges as I am likely the hardest tugger of the group, so they might feel more of a difference. It is also supposed to improve low speed maneuvering, but again, no particularly outstanding difference. Am I glad I did I it? Sure, since I lucked into the 11a for very little cost. I certainly wouldn’t drop a ton of money on a new rudder for the difference.
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2022 at 12:02pm
Sweet boat.  I would love a 176 with a GT40…
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2022 at 1:26pm
Sounds like a good unbiased comparison to me, without any old cloudy recollections of various people about  what was done and why Wink

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2022 at 10:35pm
Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

Sweet boat.  I would love a 176 with a GT40…

I should have picked this one up back in '19- they were asking 3K, I just happen to have a 40 sitting around.....

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2022 at 10:52pm
That might have been a great buy.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic