Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

'78 Mustang stalling issue

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
pooba2u View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pooba2u Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '78 Mustang stalling issue
    Posted: October-27-2021 at 9:49am
My 1978 Mustang (351/ 4 barrel Holley) has recently been stalling (bogging) after roughly 10-12 minutes of running.  Engine will suddenly begin to bog down and if I continue to feed throttle the engine will cut off (flood?).  If I immediately put into neutral at onset of stalling engine will idle but as soon as I engage, bogging restarts.   After sitting for 30 min. engine will usually start normally.  What is going on?

I have changed fuel/water separator within the last month, btw....burn non ethanol and periodically dose fuel with Sea Foam.
pooba2u
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2021 at 10:45am
Likely your Gazinta is full of shmeg

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2021 at 11:06am
Precise and accurate nautical terms, those.  Tom is likely on the money,  it sounds like the carb bowls are starving for fuel.  A plugged fuel tank vent and/or anti-siphon valve can slow down fuel delivery so that the carb bowls are not being re-filled fast enough to keep up with demand at higher throttle settings.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
pooba2u View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pooba2u Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2021 at 8:44am
Thanks for the pointers.....@GottaSki point me to the Gazinta?
pooba2u
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2021 at 10:19am
Look at the fuel-pick up line inside the fuel tank. Then look a the anti-siphon connection.  Those can plug up with debris and can cause grief.  

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2021 at 7:40pm
There's an old saying that 90 percent of all carburetor problems are ignition related.

With that in mind, it would be good to know if you have spark after it stalls and you're trying to restart it.

Your coil could be bad and heating up and losing continuity internally until it cools off again.

Next time it quits, pop the flame arrestor off the carburetor and see if any fuel is leaking down the throttle bores.

Assuming it's not, before you crank the engine, pump the throttle a couple of times and see if you get a couple shots of gas from the accelerator pump discharge nozzles. Nothing coming out would mean the bowl is dry due to a fuel starvation issue, then you could look at things like Gotta Ski's "gazinta" AKA the anti siphon valve at the gas tank or the suction line.

It looks like a regular barbed fitting screwed into the tank and the suction hose to the fuel pump is hooked to it, but there's a spring loaded little ball inside it that can get clogged with junk.

Your Mustang has an aluminum tank and you can't inspect the suction line inside the tank because it's welded in, assuming the tank is original.

Once the anti siphon valve is removed from the tank, you can blow air backwards down the suction line to be sure it's clear.

So, I'd see if it's out of fuel in the bowl like mentioned above, then crank it over to check for spark as a place to start figuring out your problem Wink
pooba2u View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pooba2u Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2021 at 8:22am
@KENO thanks for the walk thru.   Got my weekend project set i guess... 
pooba2u
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic