Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

73 Ski Nautique Morse Shift Lever Removal

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Mike1973 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike1973 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 73 Ski Nautique Morse Shift Lever Removal
    Posted: October-16-2021 at 2:15pm
I have a 1973 Ski Nautique. I'm trying to replace the shift cable. I'm trying to get the unit out of the boat, but I'm stuck. I've taken off the three mounting screws, but now it seems that everything else is screwed on from the back. I don't think I'm supposed to remove that. I'm trying to find a way to get the front cover off to remove the unit. Does anyone have any ideas or know how to do this? Thanks, Mike

Mike
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2021 at 2:48pm
You'll need a 7/16" wrench, a mirror, a flashlight.
If you haven't removed the cables. Remove both shift and throttle arms. Then remove the four bolts holding the plate on.
Keep it....from sinkin'
Mike1973 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike1973 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2021 at 4:47pm
I haven't removed the cables because I can't get to them. I'm trying to get the whole unit out to replace it. It seems like there should be an easier way to remove it all without cutting in to the fiberglass and without doing it blindly. Any other ideas? Thanks!
Mike
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2021 at 5:00pm
I would remove the seat and lay on your back to look up in there. You don’t need to take the Morse off to change the cables.
78 Ski Tique, 72 Skier w/302's, 93 SN w/351 & 17 GS22 w/zr409
Previous - 99 Sport Nautique w/GT40 and 87 Martinique w/351
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2021 at 10:20pm
The mirror and flashlight is used to aid in the "blindly"

Like Sam said, take out the seat, lay on floor, get comfy, have your mirror, flashlight and 7/16" within reach. Maybe put on some soothing tunes. This is the easy way.

The sawsall way just makes everything way harder than it needs to be.
Keep it....from sinkin'
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2021 at 10:32pm
Maybe do a google image for Morse shifter to see what you are dealing with.
And remember how the shift and throttle arms are oriented.
Because it will be easier for you to remember than it will be for us to explain how to put it back together.
Keep it....from sinkin'
Mike1973 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike1973 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2021 at 10:13am
Thank you for your help with this. I've taken the three mounting screws off the front. It's loose. Can I just remove the plate with the cables on it? Or do I have to disconnect the cables before I can get the thing apart? Is there a way to get the back of the shifter out to disconnect the cables, or do I have to take it all apart upside down?
Mike
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2021 at 11:30am
Yes, you should be able to leave the cables attached to the plate.
Just remove the two control arms ( 7/16" wrench). Then the 4 that hold the plate to the shifter.
The plate w/ cables should drop down so you can see it.
Keep it....from sinkin'
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic