Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dip stick/ oil capacity

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
wayoutthere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayoutthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dip stick/ oil capacity
    Posted: October-15-2021 at 8:42pm
Whats the problem here ? 
Because of the carburetor issue and gas in the oil i changed it today.
I put a bottle of stp in it, filled the filter and 3 qaurts 1 at a time thru a 1 qaurt funnel that opens and closes
It's reading about 2 inches over the full mark, and i scratched it to see what it does overnight.

When i had the pan off  i put 4 qaurts into a competely dry oil pan and it read high then too.

Wrong dipstick ? What is true capacity ?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2021 at 10:50pm
This may help. Compare your oil pan to this PCM one,yours a Commander? which since supplied by Ford is probably the same anyway. Yours being a direct drive with a velvet trans is a 12 degree engine. I'd put 4 quarts in and fill the filter and see where it's at on the stick

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2021 at 6:23am

[/QUOTE]

It's a PCM engine Wink

Here's a picture of your normal looking dipstick tube in the normal looking location for a 79 PCM 351W engine.

It's got a normal looking dipstick handle too, so it may be the original dipstick.

How about a picture of the dipstick with a measurement of the total length below the handle and how far down from the handle the Full mark is?

You'll probably find a part number stamped into the dipstick too. It might be R041032

Plenty of people have the same problem of knowing how much oil to put in the engine and end up with about 4 quarts going back in  after an oil change.
wayoutthere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayoutthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2021 at 2:14pm

Thats the pan and stick, i can put the angle finder on the intake manifold and set it to 12 degrees.
This is how it read when i oiginally filled the engine after the pan was off.
Thank you.

Gary that's a great thread, it should always be at the top in the maintenance or frequent q&a sections.

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2021 at 5:51pm
That's the standard dipstick and tube from 71 till 85.

18 1/2 inches from the bottom of the handle to the end.

The full mark was 17 inches down from the bottom of the handle 

The add mark was 17 3/4 from the bottom of the handle.

Plenty of variety in peoples approach to changing the oil. Some filled it to the Full mark which was somewhere around 3 1/2 or so, others threw in 4 quarts and some added 5.

Some oil always stays in the pan when draining it.

Same engine, same hull, I was usually kinda happy with 4 total including the filter and never had oil level related issues Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic