Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Goop on screws

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
GeoB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeoB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Goop on screws
    Posted: October-09-2021 at 11:04am
I pulled my 1985 SN swim deck and Pito tubes.

What is the white grease goo on the screws and lag bolts?

Will I need to replace it when I put all this back?
Geo
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2021 at 1:17pm
Sealant.  Probably 3M 4200.  Two common sealants for hull penetrations, 4200 or 5200.  The 4200 is sealant only and allows for disassembly.  The 5200 is sealant and adhesive and a lot tougher to pull apart.  Yes, you will want to reseal all the holes and fittings when you reassemble.  

DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2021 at 2:18pm
Yes, goop the screws.
Anything and everything below the waterline. Goop the part and goop the fasteners.
I prefer the 3M 5200. And avoid substitutes like Boatlife sealants, It will washout, sometimes less than 3 years. 5200 should be good for well over 20 years maybe more.
If your old sealant feels greasy, it's probably a cheap substitute.
Keep it....from sinkin'
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2021 at 2:49pm
What Doc states is correct, but I would not use 5200 on anything you may want or need to remove again in the future.

That stuff is just pretty much permanent. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic