Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

installing Kill switch

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
malones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: installing Kill switch
    Posted: October-06-2021 at 6:49pm
Hi all, new boat owner. I recently purchased 1987 ski nautique and wanted to install a kill switch since family will be driving the boat. but not sure how to wire it in. I have attached 2 images of my wiring, the kill switch has 4 prongs and the ignition has only 3..so not sure what to do. any help would be appreciated. thanks! Malones

Malones
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2021 at 7:36pm
Do you have instructions or a brand and part number for the switch?

I'm gonna guess it's a universal kill switch and that when the switch is depressed by the cap, 2 terminals will have continuity between them and the other 2 won't. A multi meter will make figuring things out a lot easier.

When you pull the cap, those 2 terminals that had continuity will now be an open circuit. You want to use these 2 terminals only.

When you look at your last picture with the keyswitch you have 2 purple wires attached to the Ign terminal One of those runs back to the ignition coil and the other is the dash switched feed.

Take the one that runs back to the coil and cut it and attach one end to one of your chosen terminals and attach the other end to the other chosen terminal.

The other 2 terminals aren't used for this application.

Now, with the cap installed, you have power to the coil and  distributor and if you pull the cap off you no longer have power to the coil and distributor and the kill switch has done it's job.Wink

It'll still let the starter crank the engine over, but you won't have any spark.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2021 at 7:45pm
In the diagram below, it would be the lime green circle that's drawn into the purple ignition wire. 

Doing it under the dash would be the best place to tap in, and you 'll probably need extra wire to run to wherever you install the switch

The diagram is a good representative diagram for your boat when it was new  drawn by some guy on here with the initials TRB Wink

malones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2021 at 9:20pm
Thanks KENO! it came with no instructions Disapprove The part number its MGS Switch SW-2711-G E251691, 
So I will start with purchasing a mulit meter tomorrow. And if I understand you correctly i am only using and splicing the one purple wire that lead to the coil! this sounds easy peasy.. thanks again! Malones
Malones
malones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2021 at 9:21pm
This is great thanks again!! 
Malones
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2021 at 6:25am
Originally posted by malones malones wrote:

Thanks KENO! it came with no instructions Disapprove The part number its MGS Switch SW-2711-G E251691, 
So I will start with purchasing a mulit meter tomorrow. And if I understand you correctly i am only using and splicing the one purple wire that lead to the coil! this sounds easy peasy.. thanks again! Malones

That's a universal switch like mentioned earlier. If you wire it like mentioned earlier you'll be good.

The other 2 terminals that aren't used would be for use on an engine with a magneto type system where you ground the system to kill the engine like a lot of outboards, snowmobiles etc. instead of making an open in the circuit and taking away the voltage like you're gonna do

Whatever wire you use to do the hookup should be the same size as the purple wire (or bigger) since all of the ignition current flows through the switch. I'd use a piece of 12 gauge .

PS..............you're not supposed to say it's easy peasy till you're all done and it works Wink
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2021 at 2:07pm
There is a pdf download on the manufactures website with instructions.

92 SN - Owned since 93
99 Pro Air
89 SN - Went to live on a lake in Texas
75 Donzi 16 - Sold in 93
malones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2021 at 4:44pm
ok so your right, darn-it..  I will never say easy peasy again..So connected it. and nothing happened.  I disconnected everything back to the way it was and still nothing happens..when I turn the key, the dashboard works battery gage works etc but the engine is silent. 
ugh... is there some type of breaker i need to reset?
Malones
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2021 at 5:24pm
Since you get power to the dash when you turn the key, you don't have to reset any breakers

From the "silly things that we've all done before" department are you sure the throttle is in neutral?  Wink

If it's not in neutral, you get that total silence from the engine.

It's a separate issue because the Start circuit shouldn't have been affected by anything that you did to the purple ignition wire

Or......check that you didn't damage/break the yellow/red wire on the Start terminal on the key switch.

See the same diagram from earlier and follow the circuit from the key switch to the Neutral Safety Switch to the start solenoid/relay and see where you do or don't have voltage when the key is in Start
malones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2021 at 7:17pm
Thanks Keno, well good news is she finally started and I have the Kill switch workingThumbs Up. But I don't know why she all of a sudden started. I was aware of the neutral thing, and took it in and out of neutral. Which got me wondering since this is a 87 and that neutral button looks a little old, could that be going? ah good times. but thanks again for your help! Wish I could say this will be the last time I ask for help but eyah sure I will be on again soon.. Wink cheers Malones
Malones
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2021 at 8:12pm
Not so much the button, but your cable ends at the throttle mechanism and at the transmission could be worn enough that the Neutral Safety Switch isn't made up every time and needs a little jiggling of the throttle.

If they're worn and sloppy, you could try and adjust the cable, but you're much better off getting new cable ends and then making any adjustments.

For now I guess you can be happy though unless it happens again Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic