Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New starter | which to get??

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
Author
Spotrep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spotrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2022 at 10:45am
Great idea Keno! I’ll give this a try!
Spotrep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spotrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2022 at 2:10pm
Update:

After looking I’m definitely gonna have to pull the motor. Or at least remove the mounts somehow. These are commander mounts. Not sure if they’re too much different but there is no way of getting a plug in otherwise that I can think of
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2022 at 5:15pm
You only have to get the front of the engine an inch or 2 up and have some blocking under the oil pan or harmonic balancer to let you unbolt the front mounts and get good access to the front plugs.

If you're equipped to lift it out, just lift it up a little .............or lift it higher or out and do your choice of plugs
Spotrep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spotrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2022 at 7:18pm
I have access to a chain hoist and a carport built out of semi truck frames!
I’ll lift a bit, block it for safety, remove mounts, put in new plugs and reverse to get it back in!

Then I’ll spend the week getting the flywheel back on as well as the starter and hope she runs - without leaking water everywhere
Spotrep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spotrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2022 at 9:16pm
Pulled the motor all the way out. Didn’t seem like much more trouble and having space to work is always nice. I’ll say though working on the boats is so much easier than working on cars, especially late model cars.

Drained the oil once I got it out. The oil is very thin but not too dirty. I think that there may be fuel in it. It’s my understanding that water won’t mix very well with the oil. Is this correct? Could I confuse fuel in the oil with water?

Also is there anything I should do to the motor while it’s out?
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2022 at 12:01am
Fuel typically mixes very well with oil.  Water has a higher specific gravity than oil, so the oil floats on top of the water.  If the engine was running with water in the oil, the oil / water mix doesn't emulsify well and the color typically looks like chocolate milk.  Milky brown oil is bad ju-ju.  Dark brown oil that is very thin would lead me to evaluate fuel in the crankcase.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2022 at 7:49am
Originally posted by Spotrep Spotrep wrote:

Also is there anything I should do to the motor while it’s out?

If everything was good with the engine before this happened, put it back in for it's test run to check for any freeze damage, otherwise one thing could lead to another and another and you'll end up rebuilding the engine  Wink

Put the transmission back on while it's out, it's easier than doing it after the engine is back in the boat.

If you're thinking about checking the cutlass bearing or wanting to pull the driveshaft for any reason, do it now while you can slide the shaft out front once the prop is off.

Much easier than pulling the coupling off to slide it out the back 
Spotrep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spotrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2022 at 9:46am
This is what I was hoping to hear! Thank you for the confirmation JQ!

Keno, I’m 98% sure the cutlass bearing needs to be replaced. I’ll order one today!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
  Share Topic