Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New starter | which to get??

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
Spotrep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spotrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2022 at 1:53pm
Last night was using a torch to get ring gear off. Got it to move a little bit. We have a press at my work got it off in 20 seconds haha
Wilhelm Hertzog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2022 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by Spotrep Spotrep wrote:

I agree just didn’t wanna spend $200 or so haha.
Thinking about painting flywheel before I put ring gear on. I’ll tape off all mating surfaces first but do y’all see any harm in painting surface between damper plate and flywheel?

I painted mine (carefully taped off mating surfaces) to prevent future corrosion (had quite a bit of rust when I took it off). No problems so far.
1982 Ski Nautique PCM351W RR II Velvet Drive 10-17-003 1:1 II PerfectPass Stargazer
Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Spotrep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spotrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2022 at 4:00pm
Took a picture yesterday. Please disregard state of bilge haha

here is front of trans

Spotrep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spotrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2022 at 4:02pm
Is this the part number for the damper i need?

Got a 1;1 Velvet drive.

SKIDIM:
R140001
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2022 at 6:09pm

Is this the part number for the damper i need?

Got a 1;1 Velvet drive.

SKIDIM:
R140001

If you want to spend a lot, that'll work.

What gets used a lot by CCF people with a Borg Warner  is an Alto/Sachs damper, part number ALTDA-106 or 106A.

The 106 is advertised a lot for a Chevy 14 inch flywheel and needs a trim to fit the Ford flywheel or if you find a 106A, it costs about 20 bucks more but it's already trimmed to fit.

You only use 3 of the original 6 mounting bolts but it's , let's say CCF tested and proven"

Here's a link to a thread with some pictures 

And another link with plenty of reading

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2022 at 6:21pm
https://skidim.com/damper-drive-plate-gm-small-block.html
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2022 at 6:22pm
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2022 at 6:25pm
Good price at Skidim like in TRB's link, but it looks like they don't have any Wink
Spotrep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spotrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2022 at 6:43pm
What would I do with y’all?!

Thanks a bunch guys
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2022 at 6:43pm
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2022 at 7:31pm
I didn't buy one of these but I stumbled onto it on EBAY a few minutes ago, just cause I wanted to see if I could find a better price than Gary Wink

link  It even says Sachs on it and free shipping too

Hang in there Spot, he'll probably come up with a better deal.

Edit   PS ......... if you go to the Fred Warner  website you'll save a little more, not much but a little bit Wink
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2022 at 8:57pm
I saw that one Ken but it scared me off since the description never mentioned Sachs or Alto. I'm concerned they used a generic picture.
Here is the verbiage- HGE 4K2C Marine Drive Plate GM Chevy 305 350 26 Spline Velvet Drive 1004-650-006   In the description it says made in China Ouch
Here is the other listing,the one I bought- ALTO DAMPER PLATE DA-106 *NEW*
It came in a Sachs box.... Made in America......Brazil in this instance LOL

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2022 at 8:46am
Ermm from the looks of that picture with all that rust.....I'd definitely replace it. 
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Spotrep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spotrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2022 at 11:52am
Ill order it today. Fred Warner has them for $88
http://https://www.fredwarner.net/product/marine-drive-plate-gm-chevy-305-350-boat-damper-26-spline-1004-650-006-bbd0107ul/

The PO of this boat struck the prop on the trailer. I need to replace or repair the prop. I am hoping shaft isn't bent, I don't even want to check. Im gonna replace the strut bearing and rope seal I think its called. any quick tips I should be aware of?

Im gonna fix the trailer to work for the boat. I think im just gonna lift the trailer an inch or two with either shackles of maybe blocks and longer U-bolts and then lower the prop guard. The trailer is a really nice tandem axle aluminum.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2022 at 12:08pm
So your alright putting in a Chinese sourced drive plate? To each his own.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Spotrep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spotrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2022 at 12:30pm
Ah I didn’t even take notice of that. I’ll buy from your source
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2022 at 9:01am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

I saw that one Ken but it scared me off since the description never mentioned Sachs or Alto. I'm concerned they used a generic picture.
Here is the verbiage- HGE 4K2C Marine Drive Plate GM Chevy 305 350 26 Spline Velvet Drive 1004-650-006   In the description it says made in China Ouch
Here is the other listing,the one I bought- ALTO DAMPER PLATE DA-106 *NEW*
It came in a Sachs box.... Made in America......Brazil in this instance LOL

So just to make sure I got this right................you're OK with the Brazilian made damper plate since an American company is selling it?

How about if an American company is selling something that was made in China or has Chinese parts in it?
Spotrep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spotrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2022 at 12:58pm
Its likely the case that many "made in America" products have parts sourced from the same Chinese plants.

My issue with Chinese parts really isn't the quality as Chinese quality has increased significantly (in many cases) but rather their labor practices and id rather not give my money to the CCP.

Its possible that the one I ended up buying gets shipped from china in parts and they install the springs and call it Brazilian madeLOL

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2022 at 1:03pm
Brazil and Germany have always had a good working relationship. 
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2022 at 7:43pm
Well lucky for all of us, all these big Multinational companies with factories in cheap labor countries all over the world aren't using any of those cheap foreign parts in any of the things we buy and use over here.

PS Gary.........................I don't think I'd worry about your Brazilian plate, Alto has gotten them from Sachs who have had them built in Brazil for a long time  Wink
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2022 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

So your alright putting in a Chinese sourced drive plate? To each his own.

I followed up with Fred Warner as the listing did seem possibly inconsistent… this was their reply:

“These are manufactured by HGE and their part number is 4K2C. We used to get these through Alto (DA-106) but their quality was sliding, and the price was about three times higher. So we had them made by HGE for us. The picture is likely still the old one. Looking closely I do see it still says Sachs on it! I'll get the photo updated. The new ones looks identical but the metal is jslightly darker.

Thank you,
Fredwarner Marine
Sales & Support”
Spotrep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spotrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2022 at 12:04pm
Soooooo.. According to fred warner I bought the lower quality damper for a higher price?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2022 at 1:08pm
Or you could just shrug your shoulders and say I got a "good damper at a good price" and make sure you know where to cut it so you don't have to buy another one. Wink
Spotrep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spotrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2022 at 1:27pm
Im pretty confident I can handle it. I was going through William777 thread last night titled "blown" ford 351.
It was hilarious and quite the roller coaster. Props to him though for sticking in there Im super impressed.
Anyways, you posted a picture in the thread with purple lines showing where to bolt up.
Ill get it mounted and strike a line and remove it before I cut. Ive spent a lot of time behind an angle grinder.

Sidenote:
At what point do I just need to create a new thread for this project?LOL
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2022 at 6:38pm

Sidenote:
At what point do I just need to create a new thread for this project?LOL

If you want all your info in one thread just keep this one going.

Since you started the thread you have the "power" to change the title of the thread if you go back to the first post and select "edit" and then change the title to something catchy like "Spot's 85 SN project" Wink

There are lots of long project type threads on CCF.............although William's is pretty much a classic with a little of everything.

Spotrep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spotrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2022 at 7:03pm
Well boys I’m a bit perplexed. I (finally) received my damper plate. But the bolt holes aren’t lining up. I’m using my phone right now so can’t post photos but im using the same holes in this thread:

https://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=49835&OB=DESC

2 line up just fine. The third hole is maybe 1/32th of an inch off. Should I break out the die grinder and clearance the hole? Has anyone else experienced this?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2022 at 8:21pm
Don't even think about it, drop the grinder right now Wink

If you do the grinder routine you'll have the center hub off center and have problems getting the shaft thru the hub and if you do manage to get it thru. you'll tear up the damper plate and/or transmission in a short time.

Assuming the damper isn't flipped upside down and you're using the right holes on the damper, make sure you're using the right holes on the flywheel.

I'd pull the bolts back out and work your way around the flywheel with the damper till you get 3 holes that line up as they should.

Maybe you've tried every position already, maybe not.

Post a picture when you're at a computer if you still have a problem
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2022 at 11:33am
You find three holes that work yet ?

Of the 6 original holes that the bolts went into, you use 3 of them.
Spotrep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spotrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2022 at 8:29pm
I have indeed! There seems to be a slight amount of bend in the plates that were causing the bolts to bind slightly. I found that if I start them all with only 1-2 threads I had enough clearance otherwise I couldn’t access the holes without cross threading.

However- and I’m ashamed to admit- I found some freeze/casting/frost/etc. plugs in the bilge.. we had a cold Texas evening.. and I didn’t winterize.

I have to pull the motor in order to access the plug holes so I can drive new ones in. I’m praying that the block is okay. I’m gonna check the oil for water first thing.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2022 at 6:43am
Well maybe those plugs saved the day, maybe not.

Instead of pulling the engine and putting new plugs in, then installing the engine again so you can see if it survived, why don't you get some 1 1/2 inch expansion plugs( aka rubber freeze plugs) and put them in the holes and fire up the engine to check for leaks.

Not knowing which plugs popped out, even the difficult ones to access can be done without much problem.

Just call it a temporary troubleshooting effort and you can decide what needs to be done from there.

Sometimes "temporary" might mean a lot of years if there are no leaks.Wink

Now of course, those rubber plugs aren't gonna pop out in another freeze situation.

And............. if your engine froze and popped some plugs, there's a good chance that your manifolds froze and have some cracks internally/externally.

Here's a link to the plugs at NAPA. In keeping with earlier parts of the thread, as far as their country of origin, it begins with C and ends with hina.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic