Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

When do secondaries kick in on 351

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
nobrainsd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nobrainsd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: When do secondaries kick in on 351
    Posted: October-01-2021 at 12:36pm
I have been having a fuel starvation issue. Checked the vent and the anti siphon valve. The fuel filter water separator is almost new, but I will change it today. The mechanical fuel pump isn't leaking. One of my associates was all about it being my secondaries not opening on the 4160 Holley carb on my 351 PCM Ford Ski Nautique. I am having issues initiate at around 20 mph. I think I should still be running on the primaries at that speed, but I changed the diaphragm anyways. Checked the vacuum passage too. Really going to be surprised if my relatively new filter is clogged. Tank had some debris from the deteriorated rubber ring (anti slosh) at the tank bottom, but not much. Alas. Hope a new filter is all it takes. But I really would like to know when do those secondaries come into play? 
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2021 at 1:19pm
An internal circuit pulls vacuum on the diaphragm opening the secondaries.  I can’t say exactly when the secondaries open but pulling out a skier, if they were big and strong I would sometimes hear the 4bbl open up while pulling them out.  You could always open the engine cover and have your observer watch to see them open.   It is really obvious, you see the throttle plate rotate as the vacuum pulls up on it.   You can even manually open it while driving as a test.   Care has to be taken to stay out of all the moving parts of course but it is a quick test to see if your secondaries open and if they function once open.

What you are describing sounds more like a fuel supply issue.

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2021 at 6:10pm
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

Care has to be taken to stay out of all the moving parts of course

Sound advice.

gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2021 at 8:38pm
Pull it together with a couple butterflies and some super glue and your back in business. LOL
Just remember “chicks dig scars” just make the story good Wink
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2021 at 9:55pm
Is that when the Foot was cutting up the horse?

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2021 at 6:04am
There's a little orifice in the right side primary and secondary venturis that internally connects to the secondary diaphragm housing and as air flow through the primary venturi increases, it creates a vacuum in that line that has to overcome the spring pressure holding the secondaries shut and then they'll gradually open. There's a little assist from the secondary airflow after they are open some also.

So..............you're thinking right, 20 mph lightly loaded, just cruising, they're closed and will be till probably somewhere in the 3500 ish range depending on boat weight and loading and the strength of the spring in the chamber.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2021 at 6:07am
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Looks like the story of Larry and the alternator Wink
nobrainsd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nobrainsd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2021 at 10:34am
Thank you all for the comments. I rechecked my vent and anti siphon. I changed my fuel filter/water separator and emptied it into a fuel filter/water separator funnel (a necessary item when fueling in Mexico). No water and no debris. Re tightened all fittings and replaced the secondary diaphragm  (which looked good but was definitely getting old). Still had issues, so I pulled the fuel bowls.
I blew air into the intake lines on the fuel bowls and operated the needle with the float. The primary seemed good, but the secondary had restricted flow even with the float all of the way down touching the bottom of the fuel bowl. Ah ha! My carb was a rebuilt purchase. One of the needles had a really hard rubber tip and was not sealing well. So I had rebuilt the carb. I used the gaskets that came with my rebuild kit that perfectly fit on the needle seat to fuel bowl body. That was my mistake. The added depth on the needle seat kept the needle/fuel float assembly from fully opening. Thus restricted flow. When I got up to speed I was draining the fuel bowl faster than it was filling. The fuel bowl levels were right and I never thought to check that they were fully opening. I removed the gaskets and re installed the needle seats without a gasket. Blew into the assembly and didn't have any leaks. Engine has full power now. Not sure what the gaskets were actually for. But the kit had some other parts that weren't applicable to my carb. I had tested the carb in the driveway and the no load results fooled me into thinking everything was good to go. Only had this boat in the water in no wake zones recently. It ran fine for that! So I thought the stumbling and lack of power had to be something else. Oh well. I guess examining whatever I did last should have been the first thing on my list.  The replies here and other posts I have read on CCF got me squared away. Thank you.

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2021 at 9:00pm
I'll boldly venture forth with a guess as to what those gaskets were for..............they go between the seat and the body Wink

Feel free to verify my guess

Like any other gasket they're there to form a leak tight seal.

I suppose that if you cram the brass seat into the pot metal body hard enough it won't leak..........maybe.

I'm a little confused about your description of issues at 20 mph on the primaries being resolved by playing with the secondaries which won't be open at that speed/load

But.........you were there, you fixed it, hope it stays "fixed"

Did you take out the front gasket too? I can't decide from what's written.

It sounds like a case of some mismatched parts.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2021 at 11:45pm
That is a Nasty Open wound.  Was someone less than careful?  Hope it healed OK.
nobrainsd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nobrainsd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2021 at 1:00am
Yep,  Keno, pulled out both washers. Hmmm, maybe a thinner washer? But not really seeing any issues. No leaking or dripping on either primary or secondary. Could not see how it would be possible to alter the float arm or float needle seat to change the dynamics of the situation. Maybe I'm missing something. The Holley parts diagrams I find are not for the older needle marine configuration. Do they have a washer/gasket originally? Not like I can't make a thin washer. Either the bowl is overfull or the needle isn't opening sufficiently with the washers supplied. Gasket loss changed that. Could be that I just had the wrong gaskets and a thinner gasket would be the solution.  Gasket or no gasket. that is the question :)
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2021 at 5:36am
i could measure the thickness of the gasket for you .I'll post it later

Meanwhile, it's working, so why mess with success  Wink
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2021 at 5:43am

That is a Nasty Open wound.  Was someone less than careful?  Hope it healed OK.

Alternator vs Larry, see link below

The meat eating alternator on Larry's engine Wink

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2021 at 6:15am
Meanwhile back at the carburetor.............here'a a picture courtesy of wayoutthere of some Holley needle and seat assemblies in unopened packages.

The bottom ones are like yours and the gasket is packaged with the needle and seat.

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2021 at 9:09am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

i could measure the thickness of the gasket for you .I'll post it later

Meanwhile, it's working, so why mess with success  Wink

The gasket is 0.031 inches thick.

I have some extras and could send you a couple, but you'd probably be better off buying a couple of Holley needle and seat assemblies with the gaskets if you run into issues with your setup you have right now.

Send a PM with your address if you want them
nobrainsd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nobrainsd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2021 at 5:45pm
Well, I figured I should go with gaskets. Cut an unused gasket from my carb to manifold. Tried all sorts of positions with the float. Raised the tab on the float, tried lowering the the arm. No matter what I'm getting overflow out the j tube. I have no idea what's up. Been at it all day. Tired of breathing gas fumes as I break open the carb again. Blowing into the bowl/needle seat assembly it sure seems it is sealing. But maybe I need a new needle and seat. Sure doesn't seem like it. I find it hard to believe it is a gasket leak, because the bowl fills up fast. Checked the primary diaphragm again. Made sure the linkage had a bit of play. Damn, there just aren't that many moving parts! May I ask, Keno, what material the gasket for the needle seat is made of? I was hoping to roll to a Fly In out of my area, but it looks like I'm waiting on Holley parts :) Oh the joy of boating!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2021 at 7:01pm
Kelson,
It would be interesting to know what the fuel pressure is going to the carb. I've had to use a pressure regulator once since the pressure was high enough to push past the needle. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2021 at 8:03pm
Originally posted by nobrainsd nobrainsd wrote:

May I ask, Keno, what material the gasket for the needle seat is made of?

They're metal with a pretty hard black coating on both sides

Do you still have just the secondary side having an issue?
nobrainsd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nobrainsd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2021 at 8:50pm
Well, at least I don't have a wound like Larry!
Should have probably been happy with the gasket less set up that did run, but it might have been a bad idea. Of course, I am trying to leave and go someplace! Don't all boat flails involve imminent departures? A lack of immediately available parts?
I spent all day sucking gas fumes. Hmmm, just a little crabby? Tried every variation of float tab and arm position. With a non adjustable set up it is a pain in the ass every time you want to make an adjustment. When I blow through the needle valve it does shut off. But who knows. I may be exerting more pressure by hand than the float is when floating in gas. It is an older needle/seat. I have another needle seat set arriving tomorrow. So maybe that will be the obvious/normal solution. Might be too smart for my own good thinking the needle tip is good because I can operate it manually. I did replace the other one. I could only get one locally. The boat starts great, runs awesome and then the j tube pukes on my day (and kills the stoke). It is now clearly a primary issue I'm chasing. 
Killed a couple of transfer tube o rings while I was having fun with the carb. No more at Ace locally. Will have to road trip. 
I did not whip out a lighter and flambe my boat... but thought about it.
I know it will all be good. This Ski Nautique has led me down the Protec conversion, it lost the TBI, this rebuilt carb lasted 8 years before acting up and after replacing my shaft, strut, rear engine mounts and prop it is super smooth... when it runs, which is most of the time until now.
Hope everyone is having a great evening. I am fortunate to live in San Diego, so I will get the boat running and I will ride all year. I am being optimistic right at the moment :)
nobrainsd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nobrainsd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2021 at 8:56pm
Yo Keno! I wouldn't expect a fuel pressure issue from a mechanical fuel pump, but I have read  that it does happen. May have to check it out. I will give it a go with a new needle/seat and float tomorrow. If it takes longer I will get back to it. I do appreciate your feed back. The overflow in the primary bowl is a simple problem of too much gas! Can't be that bad, if I have time for parts :)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2021 at 5:42am
The fuel pressure problem I referenced was with a mechanical pump.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2021 at 6:48am
Originally posted by nobrainsd nobrainsd wrote:

Yo Keno! I wouldn't expect a fuel pressure issue from a mechanical fuel pump, but I have read  that it does happen. May have to check it out. I will give it a go with a new needle/seat and float tomorrow. If it takes longer I will get back to it. I do appreciate your feed back. The overflow in the primary bowl is a simple problem of too much gas! Can't be that bad, if I have time for parts :)

Yo right back at ya............if you're confusing me with Pete, you've obviously been inhaling too many gas fumes and need a break.  Wink

Since you're only overflowing one bowl right now,I think your new needle and seat for that bowl is a good approach

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2021 at 7:12am
Maybe Pete will explain how he rebuilt his fuel pump and then it had too much pressure for some reason and he had to put a "non original part" on his boat.............then again, maybe he won't. Wink
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2021 at 7:50am

Maybe Pete will explain how he rebuilt his fuel pump and then it had too much pressure for some reason and he had to put a "non original part" on his boat.............then again, maybe he won't. Wink

Did I say it was my boat? NO! Did I say I rebuilt the pump? NO! 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2021 at 8:10am
Here's a little trip down memory lane for you Pete.

Your 312, your pump rebuild, your fuel pressure regulator.

I won't bother yelling in CAPS  Wink

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I too recommend Then and Now. The last time I delt with them was for a fuel pump rebuild kit also on my 312 Y block. It worked so well that I ended up having to install a fuel pressure regulator. I discovered the YH side draft carbs don't like higher pressures. They are very happy at 4 PSI and weren't at 9 PSI. 
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2021 at 8:30am
And if you stop and think about it, if nobrainsd's fuel pump just started mysteriously putting out more pressure for some unknown reason, to cause his problem, would you maybe fix or replace the pump or go and put a band aid (fuel pressure regulator) on it ?
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2021 at 1:19pm
It is well known that Carb Needle and Seat set ups work well at 4-7 PSI and fail when more than that is used regardless of mechanical or electric pump supply.   That is why pressure regulators are so available.   

I do agree in this boat, the pump was not changed and had worked for years so the pressure that worked a month ago should still work and a new needle and seat should solve the issue.

No reason to beat on Pete, he only tried to help.   He is a continuous source of help on this forum.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2021 at 5:46pm
I guess you could say that we have a difference of opinion about some of that "help" Wink
nobrainsd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nobrainsd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2021 at 8:25pm
My "by 11 am tomorrow" parts didn't arrive. I think my problem will just be the needle/seat. I had the float and needle assembly set so tight that it was restricting flow. It needed that pressure up on the low position float to actually control the bowl level at all. Now it just won't seal enough at any setting. Except for totally closed. How I hit a sweet spot with no gasket on the seat I don't know. Looking forward to getting the parts. Also, I now have the time, since I'm not going anywhere, to pick up a Quickfuel M-600 if I want. Which I do, because I needed to drill, tap and use inserts on my metering plate 4 times on this round of fun. The threaded holes for the plate are wearing out. Only two more to go. #8 inserts were a pain to source too. I think maybe this rebuilt Holley has given me my moneys worth. But I will throw the needle and seat in and confirm. Always good to have a spare :) 
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2021 at 5:45am

No reason to beat on Pete, he only tried to help.   He is a continuous source of help on this forum.

I guess you could say that we have a difference of opinion about some of that "help" Wink

Thank you

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic