Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Repowering '54 Shepherd

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
stepper459 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stepper459 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Repowering '54 Shepherd
    Posted: September-27-2021 at 10:36pm
As some of you may remember, I was looking for an engine for my father-in-law's '54 Shepherd. Here's a link to the thread I started here, when I was expanding my search far and wide. 

Long story short, Art Cozier went WAY above and beyond getting an engine together for me, and I now have a beautiful 351 with a Holley 4bbl carb and a Velvet Drive 1:1 transmission, waiting for me to shoehorn it into the Shepherd. 

Last week I finally got around to taking enough stuff OUT of the boat to fit the engine in, and see for certain if it really does fit. I mean, we measured many times and looked at diagrams, measured again, and again, but sometimes you just can't tell what's going to be in the way until you try it. 

So I have had the engine in and out of the boat twice already, and it does fit. The oil pan hangs between two ribs. The motor mounts will work one way or another. I think the exhaust is manageable, and Art even gave me a muffler - the kind that combines the two manifold outputs into a single outlet, so I don't have to drill a second giant hole in the transom of the boat. Also, clearance for hoses isn't great. So that's excellent. 

Still left to figure out: 
- steering (modifying the 11' long pipe that is the steering rod, to go around the engine a little - the starter is where the rod used to be
- throttle and shift cables - adapting the old mechanisms to work with modern cables
- fuel
- wiring 
- gauges
- motor mount final mounting points
- exhaust fittings and adapters
- cooling (this should be easy, existing thru-hull has 1" or 1-1/8" hose barb already 

I'm sure there's more, but I'm just excited it looks like it will fit. Oh that reminds me, we'll need to build a new motor box. 

Pics: 

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2021 at 6:32am
Originally posted by stepper459 stepper459 wrote:

Looking good

Also looks like the perfect time to do oil change #1 and replace that drain plug with an oil drain hose kit of one kind or another next time it's out of the boat Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stepper459 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2021 at 10:59am
@KENO yeah, I was thinking about that. It's out of the boat now, and let's be honest, there will be lots of opportunities to add that hose haha. Still, I should add it to the list that's in my head, and put that list to paper soon. 

Speaking of adding to the list, it'll need a new driveshaft, coupler, and prop, maybe just do the cutlass bearing while I'm there... 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stepper459 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2022 at 10:15pm
Typical of projects like this, I got busy with my real job this winter and got nothing done between December and now. Thankfully my partners in this adventure - actual current employees of a marina - have been at it again recently and I'm hopping back in next week too. 

They've got the engine in place where it will align with the driveshaft. The shaft has been ordered and a new coupler of course. 

The steering is working with a couple elbows in the pipe that push-pulls the rudder arm. Simple in concept, tedious in execution. 

Wiring harness is mostly sorted! 

Bilge pumps have been improved, that's always been a disaster in this boat. 

The shift linkage will run off the steering column where the throttle used to be (left of the wheel) like a Century, and the throttle will likely be another Century take-off, in one of those knobs you pull out and twist, with a release button in the middle. I've always liked those in Resorters, so there we go. 

Still to be sorted: 

throttle and shift linkage connections
exhaust - hoo boy that's a fun one, there's no room
wiring harness is there, but needs to be tidied up
water intake routing (and whether there's room for a strainer?) 
fuel lines - thankfully, there's already a standard mount with a spin on filter in the stern near the tank. 
after reading KENO's post above - I've gotta add an oil drain hose while the engine is hanging in the air next time
lots, and lots, and lots of reassembly 
Ugh, engine cover if the old one doesn't fit. It might! But it probably won't. 

I'm sure I'm missing some things. I'll post some pictures later this week. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stepper459 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2022 at 8:42pm
I didn't think I'd have a lot of time today so I tried to just fit up the reducer to the muffler. Then my afternoon was canceled so I got a lot done, relative to my expectations. A rare occurrence indeed. 

The muffler "fits" but barely, and it dumps out basically right into the rib that the driveshaft goes through. The output is also 4" and will be reduced down to 3" anyway, so why not get that done right now and make a smaller hole in that rib? 

Step 1 was to cut back the 4" pipe a bit, along with the reducer (it's a 3.5" to 3" and was probably 10" long). Then dry fit. Grind, sand, try again. The idea is to put a 3" diameter fiberglass pipe right inline with the rib, with any hose connections just on the other (stern) side so we won't have to cut even the extra diameter of the hose or clamps. We'll see if that works out, but I did a lot of measuring before I got out the saw. 

It was a pretty nice dry fit by the time I was done grinding and sanding. I lathered it up with some epoxy mixed with a little filler and that's how it sits now (not pictured), until tomorrow. I'll grind back the drips and put a little fairing compound in with the next batch to smooth out the lip and then a couple layers of cloth on top of that. No messing around with this joint as it sits below waterline. 

I've started putting time in my work calendar for this project so I can chip away at it a little at a time, while the marina is getting busier and really, really wants it out of the shop. Every little thing is a project, but that's how these things go. I'm so excited to get this thing in the water, and that's looking more and more promising... 

In addition to cutting a hole in the rib we've got to get the transmission shift lever out of the way, it hits the muffler downpipe. If I get get it to be straight instead of a double-L-shape that would be ideal. I might be calling on a friend to make me one, rather than mangling the existing one. It almost looks like I could flip it over to get the L the other way but I haven't tried yet, I think it would hit the tranny case though. That's Friday, if I get enough time to do more than a coat of epoxy on the muffler. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stepper459 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2022 at 8:49pm
Here's the muffler more or less in place, you can see how it runs right into that important-looking crossmember there... don't worry we're not going to cut all the outlined bit!! Lots of pondering how to reinforce that area, too. A plate/bar across the top of that rib is likely to be in the future. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stepper459 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2022 at 8:32pm
Some more pictures today of the exhaust going into place. I dry-fitted everything then took it back out, except the exterior piece which I caulked into place, it doesn't have to come back out. 

The engine has to come out one more time so we can tidy up underneath it, drill holes for the motor mounts, etc. 

Still left do to: 
- run fuel lines
- run new water hose to trans. cooler and RWP
- tidy up wire harness, possibly shorten it
- run shift cable, possibly modify shift arm on transmission
- install new throttle control and run cable
- install new bilge pump outlets (2)
- general reassembly including seeing if the motor box fits - I think it might!?

etc. 

The thing is, all that stuff is pretty easy compared to everything else we've done so far. I can see the light! This thing will be in the water ... "soon." 
All boats are sinking, it's just a matter of how quickly.
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2022 at 11:16pm
I'm getting in here a bit late: a stainless steel strap running across the length of that rib, on top, epoxied and fastened with some small stainless lag-fasteners (570’s maybe) will put the strengthening support back into that rib.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stepper459 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2022 at 9:54am
Originally posted by ultrarunner ultrarunner wrote:

I'm getting in here a bit late: a stainless steel strap running across the length of that rib, on top, epoxied and fastened with some small stainless lag-fasteners (570’s maybe) will put the strengthening support back into that rib.

Yeah, we were thinking of something like that. Or a bar across the top, from stringer to stringer, countersunk into each stringer a bit and fastened to the rib at several places. 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2022 at 10:06am
You don’t have to go crazy with it. Plenty of rigidity in that area provided by the engine cradle.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stepper459 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2022 at 12:09pm

You don’t have to go crazy with it. Plenty of rigidity in that area provided by the engine cradle.

Good point, hadn't really thought about it that way. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stepper459 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2022 at 8:28pm
Installed a lot of hose clamps today

Changed the fuel filter while I was replacing the fuel line from there to the fuel pump, and put new water hoses between the intake and the RWP. While I was standing in the boat with some 1" ID hose in my hands, I replaced the t-stat associated hoses on the engine as the old ones looked... old. 

I hope to fasten the hoses in place tomorrow, and run control cables. Then I need to work on the engine cover which "almost" fits... but doesn't. 

I also remembered that I need to replace the oil drain plug with a drain hose kit when the engine comes out "one more time" soon. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stepper459 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2022 at 10:10am
I need to put together another update but in short, the boat is almost ready for the water. I've had some time lately to work on it, and it's really close. 

Still left: control cables, finish tidying up wires, run engine, test and check over everything, reassemble interior. 

Add to the list, "repair bow light" because I broke the red side of the lens yesterday taking the cover off. 

Pictures in no particular order: 

Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2022 at 10:49am
I’m curious to see how the split driveshaft / transmission coupling performs.  I’ve looked at those in the past but have no first hand experience.  I’ve often wondered why PCM used the solid “interference fit” coupling instead of the split coupling.  Boat looks great.  Nice project.  

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stepper459 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2022 at 10:56am
Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

I’m curious to see how the split driveshaft / transmission coupling performs.  I’ve looked at those in the past but have no first hand experience.  I’ve often wondered why PCM used the solid “interference fit” coupling instead of the split coupling.  Boat looks great.  Nice project.  

JQ

Thanks, it's really coming together and I am so excited to get it done. 

On the coupling, do you mean a two-piece coupler? This one has bolts that clamp it down some but it's one piece. There's also a set screw that goes into a detent on the shaft. It is different from those that I've used before, but I would imagine it will work the same. 

The only problem I had was the 4 bolts were too long, by about 1/16" and they hit the transmission case. They also wouldn't go in with the "clamp" bolts in place, so I had to take those out to put the 4 coupler bolts in. I put a thick stainless lock washer on the bolt head end to get the extra clearance, rather than modifying the bolts or trying to get shorter ones. I'd like to get the right bolts in there but it's unlikely I'll ever go back and swap them out. 

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2022 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

I’m curious to see how the split driveshaft / transmission coupling performs.     

I'm sure it will be just fine- the V drive boats with the Walters drive has them from factory. You can't get to it without being a contortionist though.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stepper459 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2022 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

I'm sure it will be just fine- the V drive boats with the Walters drive has them from factory. You can't get to it without being a contortionist though.

No doubt it will be fine, it's just different I suppose. I was just annoyed after spending 90 minutes on alignment, I figured it would be 5 minutes to put 4 bolts through the two flanges and it ended up being like 20 minutes of messing around and trial and error. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stepper459 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2022 at 9:09pm
The Squamasee went in the water today with its new beating heart, the transplanted 351. 

A very slow and careful forklift ride: 

Followed by a brief paddle over to a boathouse, with slings waiting and ready. It needs to soak for a while and swell up, so I figured, get it in the water then finish up lots of details. Like getting it running. 

Here it sits, hopefully soon to be running around the lake. It looks in the picture like it's lifted out of the water, but it's not. The slings are just there with almost no weight on them, to keep it from going to the bottom if the batteries or bilge pumps die (although there is a trickle charger to keep the batteries up). 

Speaking of getting it running, it did fire up and run for a bit. I had time constraints as usual, plus I also wanted to spend time with my wife and kids this beautiful day, so I didn't have much time. It fired up and ran but it sounded like it wasn't running on all 8. It even backfired through the carb a couple times - glad I had the flame arrestor on. 

I verified firing order to what was written in marker on the engine by Art: 1-8-4-5-6-2-7-3. I checked the cap and rotor, they look excellent. All the wires are on tight, but maybe one got damaged over this winter somehow. I seriously ran out of time and I considered going back tonight to work on it. This week I am going to struggle to find a single hour, maybe I'll go tomorrow night late, like 9pm. We'll see. 

Forgive the TERRIBLE video, I was running around the boat and trying not to drop my phone. 

Still left to do: 

- get engine running perfectly 
- install fuel tank
- control cables 
- lubricate the steering column it's noisy! 
- tidy up wiring
- reassemble interior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stepper459 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2022 at 10:33pm
For those of you who are following this (anyone?) and didn't seem my other thread, the engine runs great on a 18736245 firing order, it must have a 302 cam (?) but it runs great so I don't care why. 

I've made serious progress in the last week or so, the boat is in the water, running, floating on its own, and today I hooked up the throttle and shift cables, bracket modification required all around. I tidied up wiring, and got the fuel tank installed. Most importantly: I WENT FOR A BOAT RIDE 

Just a few things left, most notably, building a base for the motor box so it's raised up a little. Then reassembly of interior and a few details beyond that. Then DONE!! 

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2022 at 10:49pm
Two wooden classics in the same pic! Love the progress.

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2022 at 7:05am
Well, it looks like you're near the end of that long and winding road Wink

I guess you can tell your wife that you couldn't drive it away from your wedding 14 or so years ago, but you could take her for an anniversary ride in it this year.

Get the gas tank in it though, so she's not tripping over the outboard tank

And to go along with your split coupler, it wouldn't hurt to slap a split collar on the driveshaft as one of those "just in case" cheap insurance type things.

Here's a link to one

And...................don't worry, I won't ask if you put that oil drain hose on it Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stepper459 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2022 at 8:12am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Well, it looks like you're near the end of that long and winding road Wink

I guess you can tell your wife that you couldn't drive it away from your wedding 14 or so years ago, but you could take her for an anniversary ride in it this year.

Get the gas tank in it though, so she's not tripping over the outboard tank

And to go along with your split coupler, it wouldn't hurt to slap a split collar on the driveshaft as one of those "just in case" cheap insurance type things.

Here's a link to one

And...................don't worry, I won't ask if you put that oil drain hose on it Wink

For sure, my wife and I will have to go for a ride with some champagne - we probably won't wait for our September anniversary date! 

The fuel tank is in now, but I need to finish it up, and it has a rather expensive problem... it's EMPTY! 

Good idea on the split collar, it's not hard to put in any time. Speaking of which... I DID put on the oil drain hose when the engine was last up and out of the boat. You can see the hose here: 

gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2022 at 7:25pm
That is such a cool area with the covered bridge and old boat houses, where is it?

Oh and the expensive empty tank remember it’s Putin’s fault🤬 LOL
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2022 at 8:03pm
Little Squam Lake Ashland NH,  Click on the link below and you'll find some info 

Built way, way back in 1990

I'm sure Stepper could tell you a lot more than I could about it though Wink
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2022 at 9:27pm
1990 would be old to the guys on the other Nautique site😂

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stepper459 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2022 at 10:07am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Little Squam Lake Ashland NH,  Click on the link below and you'll find some info 

Built way, way back in 1990

I'm sure Stepper could tell you a lot more than I could about it though Wink

That bridge is pretty neat. Built by a local company that used oxen to pull the main structure into place. They also built the Smith Bridge in Plymouth which is supposedly build to Interstate Highway specifications, but also a wooden covered bridge, 2-lane. 

1990 WAS a long time ago, at least if you ask my kids. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stepper459 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2022 at 9:25am
Well, there are a few details to iron out as always, but the boat is running great and we all took it out yesterday - my father in law, his wife, my wife and our kids. It was great! 

The only thing is, the stern light seems not to have made the return trip with us. We pulled into the boathouse and as we covered it, I noticed it was gone. I can't imagine really how it bounced out, but there's really no other explanation. We actually took my Nautique out for a spin just in case we could find that needle in the haystack, re-tracing our route from earlier. Unsurprisingly, no luck. 

A quick google search tells me I can get one for $350 at ClassicBoating.com, but I'm open to other ideas or leads. Here it was: 

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2022 at 10:00am
Bummer on that stern light. If it were me, I’d get an off-the-shelf unit just for the lower and upper, then put a piece of hardwood in a lathe and be done. You can likely find a spindle already turned that you can start with. Center drill it with a long bit and attach the hardware.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stepper459 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2022 at 10:21am

Bummer on that stern light. If it were me, I’d get an off-the-shelf unit just for the lower and upper, then put a piece of hardwood in a lathe and be done. You can likely find a spindle already turned that you can start with. Center drill it with a long bit and attach the hardware.

That's an option, although I don't have a lathe. I was just having myself a little victory lap on this project when I'm looking at another project like that. Finding a friend with a lathe, sourcing the parts, staining and varnishing, modifying the existing socket or replacing it... this might become a winter project unless I can find a complete unit or close to that. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stepper459 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2022 at 9:51pm
So today I went to button up a few remaining items on the Shepherd. 

First, I have to admit that while I believed it to be a '54 based on Shepherd ads and such, it turns out that there's a serial number on it (somewhere) that was verified to be '56. So there you have it. 

Anyway, today I had some time so I fixed the bow light, worked on the steering, and finished up some interior bits. I put a trickle charger on the batteries so it can be plugged in easily, in particular when it first goes in the water, or for longer periods of sitting, just for extra insurance I suppose. 

The engine cover base I built was deemed "good enough" and I painted it satin black, put it back in place, and that's probably where it will stay for the next 30 years, as much as I want to have a proper motor box on this thing. Functional things have a way of sticking around. 

I also took the steering column all apart to clean and grease it up, and after all that work it's exactly the same. I think there's some rust or just dry rotating parts in the steering box itself, which is a bit of a mystery and I don't want to open it up right now. Maybe this fall... or I don't know. I'm done dealing with minor issues now that everything properly works. The steering is a little stiff and "it's always been like that" so I'm calling it good for now. 

I was able to locate a replacement stern light and I'm giving it to my father-in-law for father's day. It fits perfectly and the light even works! Of course, it needs a little modification, but nothing much. And I found a Shepherd pennant on Etsy to replace the flag, so that will be cool when it comes. 

So other than the stern light, I'm calling this DONE. It's a great feeling, and a little odd, to actually bring this project to a close. At times it felt like it would never end, but it's as done as it will ever be - we're fully in the stage of fixing little stuff that all boats, especially old wooden ones, will always need. 

I'll have to get some updated pictures when I get the Shepherd pennant on it. Until then, I'm done with this project. Thanks for all your help and inspiration from other build threads I've read over the years. And if anyone is on Squam this summer and wants to ride around in a Correct Craft/PCM/Ford powered beauty, let me know. I hope to have Art come up sometime and take this thing for a ride, for sure.  

Cheers
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic