Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starter solenoid wiring

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
AlfaDon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlfaDon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Starter solenoid wiring
    Posted: September-25-2021 at 4:38pm
I'm in the process of messing around with my wiring, and I changed the bracket that holds the solenoid and messed up the wiring. The engine will crank but not start unless I finesse the ignition switch when I'm turning it off and then it'll start. I think it's because I don't have anything hooked up to the "I" terminal on the solenoid. 

This is part of my Holley EFI swap and I'm not using the distributor or standard coil. Can I use the purple wire in the 8 pin harness coming from the ignition switch?  Will that let the engine fire while it's cranking?

Thanks

Pics coming soon :)
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2021 at 7:02pm
I seem to remember you using a semi home grown coil near plug setup.

In a normal ignition system you use the purple wire you mention, to supply the voltage to the ignition system.

When the key is in START or RUN, that purple wire has 12 ish volts feeding the coil and distributor,  (around 10 or so when the starter is running and around 13 or so when the engine is running with the alternator supplying everything) so you would seem to need that supplying your system.

The "I" terminal only gets voltage when the key is in START and when you go to RUN, it has no power supplied from internal to the solenoid.

The "I" terminal can get wired to give maximum voltage to the ignition system when the starter is running and dragging down system voltage. Basically a short path with heavy wiring to minimize the voltage drop.

The TRB diagram below shows how the wire would run from the solenoid to the coil or ballast resistor in a normal ignition system

Not knowing how your wiring is set up, I'd figure you can still use the purple wire and give it a boost with the "I" terminal.Wink

AlfaDon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlfaDon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2021 at 8:54pm
Thanks Keno. That's exactly what I'm trying to accomplish.

And you remember correctly. The coil packs are from a 98ish 5.0 Exploder. 

I think TRB's wiring comes pretty much from the factory this way for the GT40 engines.  The purple wire comes from the 8 pin connector and feeds the carb choke as in the picture. I'm using that choke wire as a trigger wire for the ECU and my coil drivers, and now I'll get the boost from the solenoid as described.  I just tried feeding the trigger directly from the battery and it started right up. 

I'll get the boat in the water this season yet. I'm up in Central Idaho and we're having gorgeous 70* days
AlfaDon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlfaDon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2021 at 11:29am
So it turns out that I need a new starter relay, with none within 200 miles.

Is it possible that I could use an automotive part?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2021 at 12:57pm
No construction difference between the marine and automotive ones.

They both have the same internals, and are sealed equally well Wink

Here are a couple of part numbers that could get cross referenced at your local parts place
Standard SS-598

Standard SS-598T

They both have the "I" terminal, some versions of the similar Ford solenoid don't have the "I" terminal, but cross referencing should get you one that does if your parts place doesn't have Standard parts.

If they need a vehicle, use a 92 F-150 with a 351.
AlfaDon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlfaDon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2021 at 2:46pm
Thanks. That's the one I was looking at.  The local Napa is getting a version by Echlin. I should have it by 10 am tomorrow. It's snowing today so I can wait :)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic