NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ah Snap!

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ah Snap!
    Posted: September-18-2021 at 9:19pm
I took my Ski Nautique to the lake this morning.  A couple of weeks ago, I sold my Toyota 4Runner, so I needed to borrow a tow vehicle, as my new F-350 won't be built for another 4-5 months.  My daughter was kind enough to loan me her Ford Explorer with a V-8.  The Explorer ran fine for about 90% of the trip.  As I was coming up the last hill on the freeway, the engine suddenly lost power and the engine sound was "way off".  I applied a bit of throttle while scanning my gauges and reached out with my Spidey Sense to see what was going on under the hood.  Damn.  Oil pressure gauge at ZERO.  Not good.  So I start navigating as quickly as possible to get onto the right side emergency lane.  As I'm moving over, I feel the engine "let go".  RPMs drop to zero and white smoke is pouring out everywhere.  Damn.  Under the hood, there is oil everywhere -- and a hole in the side of the block that wasn't there this morning.  Double damn.

The worst part was when my daughter started to cry when I told her that I re-named her car the Ford Exploder.  Maybe I'll give her the F-350.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2021 at 9:48pm
Family or not that's why I don't like to borrow stuff. That is just my kinda luck as well. Whats the plan now? Good luck to you what ever way you go. 
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2021 at 2:19am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Family or not that's why I don't like to borrow stuff. That is just my kinda luck as well. Whats the plan now? Good luck to you what ever way you go. 

Well…since it’s really MY vehicle that I gave to her makes this a bit less painful.  I do all the maintenance for her and when it needed tires in June, I paid half.  She really can’t complain too much.  She is “the Princess” so she’ll come out ahead…

JQ (from in the doghouse)
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2021 at 11:54am
Usually the other way around
‘Daughter blows up dads new truck’
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2021 at 12:35pm
I think she will be just fine with driving that new truck, while you repair the damage you did to her vehicle or find her the appropriate replacement.  😂😂
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2021 at 1:42pm
Ouch JQ, that is a bad day, at least it happened on the way home.  It hurts more when you don’t even make it to the lake.   Complete new engine might = time for a replacement vehicle depending on how many miles it has on it.   Could list on Craigslist as a Mechanic Special.

I will edit:  if it has 125,000 miles or less a new 4.6L engine or used replacement will fix you up.   If above that number I might consider it time for a replacement unless that vehicle is in very good shape everywhere else.   The 4.6L is actually a very reliable engine normally and they run a long time.  The oil pumps were undersized and people that ran thicker than factory spec oils had issues, usually spun a rod bearing.   Melling makes a larger oil pump for these, I have installed 2 or 3 of them, with the Melling pump you can run 10-30W oil.
I think the factory said 5-20W oil.  If you choose to install a used engine it would be worth taking half a day and installing a new timing chain and guides along with the larger Melling Oil pump, that makes the engine very good for long term use and it is not much money.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2021 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

Ouch JQ, that is a bad day, at least it happened on the way home.  It hurts more when you don’t even make it to the lake.   Complete new engine might = time for a replacement vehicle depending on how many miles it has on it.   Could list on Craigslist as a Mechanic Special.

I will edit:  if it has 125,000 miles or less a new 4.6L engine or used replacement will fix you up.   If above that number I might consider it time for a replacement unless that vehicle is in very good shape everywhere else. 

206,000 miles on the clock.  That little Ford really doesn't owe me much.  I'm strongly considering what you are suggesting and listing it on CL and the local online marketplaces as a "mechanics special" for $900 or thereabouts.  I'm curious as to how much it will bring.  

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic