Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nautique 206 will not crank PCM 330

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
jenglemn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jenglemn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nautique 206 will not crank PCM 330
    Posted: September-13-2021 at 6:23pm
Hello,

I have a 2003 Nautique 206 (PCM EX 330 GM) and it will not crank. The battery is now new. The starter works and is new, can be jumped, and the relays are all new and good. The lanyard switch is good as the dash pod gauges lights up after the code is entered. The Alternator is now new. The neutral switch is good. When jumping the starter, it will not start. When I push the start button, I can hear the relay clicking, but no starter. Where should I go now? Thanks!
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2021 at 7:57pm
What relay do you hear clicking? under the dash or on the engine?

You have a starter relay on the engine, it looks just like the computer relay and the fuel pump relay, is that the relay?  They don't exactly make much noise.

All 3 relays are exactly the same, so you could swap relays with one of the others to see if it cranks.

It may crank but not start, because you need to have all 3 of those relays functioning, but at least if it cranks you'll know the relay is the problem.
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2021 at 7:03am
Could the noise (clicking) under the dog house be the perfect pass servo?  The noise that I recall hearing was not that much of a click but certainly was something I was not anticipating when troubleshooting another issue on my 206
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
jenglemn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jenglemn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2021 at 7:34am
When putting 12 volts on the starter solenoid (jumping it), the starter and motor rotate. When trying from the "Start" button on the key pad the relay clicks softly but no starter engagement. I have verified that the lanyard switch is operational. The neutral safety switch is also operational. When jumping the starter with the dash pod fully activated there is no spark or fuel pressure.

jon
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2021 at 7:49am
I don't think you answered the question of where this clicking relay is? Wink

Is it the same as the other 2 mentioned above?
jenglemn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jenglemn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2021 at 8:00am
One relay, of which all three are new, is lightly clicking when the start button is pressed.  I am assuming it is the Starter relay that is clicking.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2021 at 8:04am
I think knowing that, I'd go to your PN thread and take Nautique Jeff's offer of a keypad for testing.

Nothing to lose by trying his keypad.
jenglemn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jenglemn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2021 at 9:17am
I like that idea.  This boat has been sitting for a year with no attention, and lived through the 2021 Texas Freeze.

Jon
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2021 at 9:37am
Thinking that 03 was MEFI 4 as far as GM's engine control systems, do you have a PCM MEFI 4 diagnostic manual.

If you don't, then click on the link below

There must be an answer or some help buried somewhere in those 337 or so pages.  Wink

Good wiring diagrams too.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2021 at 12:43pm
Not knowing how you checked things , I'd check that when you hit the start button you have power going into  the Neutral Safety switch to at least narrow down the problem to upstream of the switch (something at the dash like the keypad or corrosion in the 10 pin connector connecting the boat wiring to the engine ) or something at the engine like the NSS itself (you say that's good) or power to the start relay.

If the relay is clicking, you'd have power going through the NSS from the keypad, but it would be good to verify that.
jenglemn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jenglemn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2021 at 1:06pm
Hello,

I am going to do some electrical diagnosis soon.

Thanks.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2021 at 1:07pm
In the manual look at page 5-30 as a start
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic