Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2002 Air electrical fault

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
02Air View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 02Air Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2002 Air electrical fault
    Posted: September-12-2021 at 12:56pm
My wife and I purchased a 2002 Air Nautique with 300 hours earlier this summer, have really enjoyed the boat so far. Unfortunately we had an electrical issue rear its head the other day after about 20 hours of use this summer. When leaving the dock I went to turn on the blower, as soon as I engaged the switch I lost power to the majority of gauges and accessories. The temp and oil pressure gauges remained, but all other gauges, head unit, and accessories lost power. I attempted to cycle power with the Perko switch, this temporarily rectified the issue but after testing the horn button (horn made about 1/3 the sound of normal, possibly not getting full voltage?) the loss of power returned. Repeated this cycle a few times; turning the key off, cycle the perko switch to off, then 1 (or 2) battery, then restart the boat. When there is no power to the gauges I can I hear feedback from the subwoofer and the fuel pump prime, even with the key in the off position. The check engine light is also partially illuminated regardless of key position. Eventually I was no longer able to turn the boat off with the key, no matter what position the key was in the engine remained running. This led me to believe it might be an ignition switch issue, so I purchased and installed a Sierra switch, unfortunately that did not solve the problem.

I have pulled the dash away to check for loose wiring, have tightened and wiggled connections on the gauges and switches but nothing permanently resolved the issue. At the advice of a local independent repair shop I checked the main battery fuse for corrosion and attempted to reset the breaker, neither made any change in the symptoms. It appears that the issue (guessing loose wire or short) is either behind or underneath the dash. I say this because when I manipulate the harness under the dash the issues comes and goes, especially when working around the fuse block.

I have searched and read lots of threads but not found any that appear to be related to my issue. The boat is a 2002 Air SE. I have a keyed ignition, not the keypad. The boat had a myriad of accessories installed by the original owner (heater, sound system, tower lights, docking lights, shower, depth finder, etc.) so unfortunately there has been several different installers crimping onto wires and messing with things over the years.

The battery cables have been checked, new Interstate deep cycle battery was installed approximately a month ago (second battery was still holding charge, Optima). I have only set the Perko switch to position 1 or 2 since the new battery install for fear of causing an issue with the mixed chemistry batteries running in parallel. Engine is an Excalibur. All connections behind the dash have been checked for shorts/loose connections. I opened the dash and was a bit shocked at the rats nest of wiring, very little appeared to be factory which led me to believe maybe the gauges had been replaced previously due to a digital gauge failure. The original owner claimed the boat came from the dealer with analog gauges installed.

Sorry for long post and creating a new thread on an issue that has likely been covered in the archives. I have done lots of searching here and on other Nautique forum. We have a lakefront cabin reserved for a 3 day weekend starting on the 17th. I would be happy to pay somebody to repair, no appointments available. It is down to me fixing the issue myself or not bringing the boat on vacation. Please help!!
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2021 at 5:32pm
I think you've answered the question, when you manipulate the harness it comes and goes, especially near the fuse block.  Take a close look at the wires, and the block.  I'd guess you might find a few wires that have worked against a sharp edge to short each other a bit, or a loose connection at the block itself.  Since that wiggle makes a difference, if you can keep wiggling (I know, sounds silly Smile) in smaller and smaller groups you may zero in on it.

BTW, I think you also need to look closely at the ground to the dash, they tend to be undersized to start with and if it is at all compromised by a bad connection it will cause problems.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2021 at 8:35pm
This all kinda sounds like a bad ground on something, either the original stuff or some of the things that were added before you got the boat.

The current can't get to ground through the normal route and  it looks for another convenient route.

The end result is that it can drive you crazy trying to find it.

A halfway common example is trailer lights that have bad grounds and you might step on the brakes and the left turn signal comes on, or you put on one turn signal and they both blink with one being bright and the other dimly flashing or any of a number of variations.

Easy to say from here, but look for a bad ground connection as a start Wink

It could look normal but have a layer of corrosion between contacts causing the problem.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2021 at 9:10pm
I'd like to see a picture of the dash and how it was converted from a key pad to a regular key.
i agree with Keno that it sounds like a bad ground .
02Air View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 02Air Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2021 at 9:16pm
Bad ground is what I am thinking as well, I’m finding that locating the grounding points is more difficult on a fiberglass boat than it is on the old cars I normally work on! Can anybody tell me where I can find a wiring diagram for this boat or similar? Is it possible that the bad ground is on the fuse block? I just spent a couple more hours searching and have noticed some loose terminals on the port side of the fuse block. The fuse block is available from Nautique Parts, I hate to be a “parts swapper” but that tends to be my default when chasing electrical gremlins.

Appreciate your insight Keno and 63skier, helpful to have people who know Nautiques to bounce ideas off of.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2021 at 7:08am
Originally posted by 02Air 02Air wrote:

Can anybody tell me where I can find a wiring diagram for this boat or similar?.

Click on the link below from PN and you'll find "similar"

There are some 01 and 03 diagrams, but of course no 02 for some strange reason.

I'd probably start with the 03 stuff

Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2021 at 1:49pm
[QUOTE=02Air]s because when I manipulate the harness under the dash the issues comes and goes, especially when working around the fuse block.

new Interstate deep cycle battery was installed approximately a month ago (second battery was still holding charge, Optima). I have only set the Perko switch to position 1 or 2 since the new battery install for fear of causing an issue with the mixed chemistry batteries running in parallel. 

Likely not the cause of your current issue, but be sure to use only a starting battery for starting. Then you can have that deep cycle for radio when not underway. Maybe you are using the Optima as the starting battery and I am misunderstanding. 

Good Luck, 
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
02Air View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 02Air Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2021 at 4:22pm
I pulled the fuse block, cleaned all contacts and re-bent the slide terminals so that they properly attached to the fuses. Reattached all wires and tested, unfortunately it had the same behavior. Started chasing wires back into their respective looms and a ground wire came out of its loom with an slight pull. It was a bullet style slide connector deep in the loom that was spliced in for the stereo. I have a $4,500 receipt from the previous owner for the stereo equipment and install, yet they didn't solder the connections.... LAZY! 

Unfortunately I couldn't access the slide connector as it was behind the subwoofer box and heater, time to pull the boat apart a little further! The heater was installed on top of the subwoofer box by some genius, of course the heater core had a small leak and the MDF box was swollen in place. I couldn't budge the box despite pulling all mounting screws so I pulled the sub out of the box, at that point I realized the box had lots of moisture inside, sound deadening was partially soaked. Thats when I got out the hammer. I had to break up the box, which mostly fell apart with minor pushing and pulling due to the moisture. The heater was then easy to access and remove, small leak on the end of the heater core that will be soldered up this afternoon. I have a  replacement core on the way that I will install this winter and save the repaired unit as a backup. 

After removing the heater and sub I was able to locate the other end of the ground wire that had come disconnected from the bullet connector. This will be soldered back together to avoid this problem in the future, as it should have been when originally installed! I don't know if I will build a new sub box or just leave it out, may hurt resale but I don't really feel like I have a NEED for extra bass. I am so appreciative to those of you who responded to this thread, thank you. Happy with myself for not ordering the new fuse block this morning.  That was not the issue and I would have wasted $50 on overnight shipping and a day or two sitting around waiting for it to arrive. 

Gundriver- re the ignition, it wasn't done very well in my opinion. That said I can understand not wanting to pay $500 to replace a failed key pad. I currently have the dash pulled apart, steering wheel off, ignition panel dangling, heater out, and MDF scraps all over the floor, so I am not taking a picture at the moment. When I get it all buttoned back up I will take a photo and try to post it to this thread. If I could find good used parts to revert back to original without spending $1,000 I think I would jump at that opportunity for a winter project.  I may be getting overconfident after solving this problem, I am generally not a fan of electrical projects! 
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2021 at 4:34pm
Nice work Connor!  Glad you found that, it helps when you see the obvious bad connection instead of having to search and search for something less easy to see.  Sounds like it was good you had to get into the back space and found the leak and moisture issue, kind of a silver lining to the project.  I had enough problems shoehorning my heater into that space, surprised they could fit the sub along with it.

So is your dash old style with push button breakers?  If so, I'd stay with it, maybe not as fancy looking but reliable and easy to fix.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic