Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

97 ski nautique pitot tube replacement

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
rtoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rtoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 97 ski nautique pitot tube replacement
    Posted: September-10-2021 at 8:58am
My golden retriever clawed the exposed tubing under the platform.  Do I need to replace the entire 20 length of tubing to repair or is there another way.  If need to replace it all, what is the best way to do it?  
rtoney
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2021 at 9:14am
Don't replace the pup, just don't let him swim under the platform Wink

If there's enough tubing left on the hull side, just use a little barbed tubing splicer, hose mender. hose connector or whatever you want to call it and a short piece of new tubing if necessary.

I could probably put a picture up later if it would help.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2021 at 9:32am
Or you could just replace the piece between the pitot and the damper which is normally located within a couple of feet of each other.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2021 at 9:34am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Or you could just replace the piece between the pitot and the damper which is normally located within a couple of feet of each other.

But most people don't want to go through the hassle of moving the gas tank and playing with that little through hull fitting  Wink
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2021 at 9:39am
Oh yea? I didnt want to to remove most of my drive train just to replace a 20 dollar gasket either but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2021 at 9:44am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Oh yea? I didnt want to to remove most of my drive train just to replace a 20 dollar gasket either but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

But, but, but............you had to if you wanted to use the boat.  Wink

He can do the temp fix if you want to call it that and take the tank out when his season is over or live with the temp fix for a long time.
rtoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rtoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2021 at 10:15am
Thanks guys.  I'll look into the short term fix for now.  Sounds like worse case is replacing a short piece of tube from the pitot, through the hull, under the gas tank into the "damper".  Not sure what is involved in moving the gas tank, but will cross that bridge when I get to it.  Thank you both very much!!
rtoney
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2021 at 10:39am
I coulda hacked it up by tightening up the case bolts and using high mileage 20w to swell any reluctant seals LOL
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2021 at 12:36pm

Here's a picture of the "temp fix"

You have to use fairly thick wall tubing like the original stuff or it's balloons out at higher pressures and gives some funky readings.

It makes it more convenient if you have to blow out the pitot, you disconnect at the connector and don't have to worry about maybe breaking off the fitting on the pitot itself.

This one's been "temporary" for at least 15 years Wink

Your damper tube should be on the transom behind the gas tank

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic