NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

454 Big Block yea or neh?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2021 at 12:16pm
Diesel?
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2021 at 3:42pm
I was thinking Chevy vortec Ls3
An Intake and spark box is like 700 bucks. Much less heavy
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2021 at 3:56pm
LS3 is a very nice engine but everything would need to be purchased for that swap.  Exhaust, Water Pump adapters, Motor Mounts, Computer Harness, Marine conversion.   Might make sense if you find a boat with that engine set up parting out so it comes complete.  I think the 454 Horsepower and Torque band is at least 1,000 RPM lower than the LS3 so it would need to be propped to match the new set up.  No argument about the quality of those engines.  I just built a 6.2L a couple months ago.  They are a sweet engine package and pull like a big dog all the way to 6,000 RPM.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2021 at 10:54am
Not uncommon to see LS engines swapped into an Excel, the lighter weight does seem to help. Different price point or a massive project, though.

LongLakeWi, I sent you a PM last week… let me know if you saw it.
frankjgorke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frankjgorke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2021 at 8:17pm
Hi all. Forgive me if this isn't the right place to ask but after searching I couldn't find answers anywhere else. Please feel free to redirect me. Anyone know how is the slalom wake in a Ski Nautique with the Python? (Say, perhaps, a '99 Ski Nautique that I've seen for sale.) I saw comments earlier about the wake in a V-drive but haven't found anything about the direct drive. I'm coming from a 2001 Sport Nautique and I've found that wake okay but not great (at various line lengths). From what I've read the Ski Nautique will be better for slalom but I'm wondering if the bigger motor negates the improvement in going from Sport hull to Ski (TSC) hull. Frank
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2021 at 10:40am
'99 Ski Nautique is a better slalom wake than an '01 Sport, as you noticed yourself.  Lightly loaded Sport is pretty good, add a person and fuel and some stuff and the Sport is not nearly as good as the Ski.  I haven't skied behind a python powered Ski, but my guess would be that the few hundred extra pounds would not be a major factor on slalom wake, would still be a REALLY good slalom boat.  Hopefully someone with experience in a python powered boat will chime in.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2021 at 11:36am
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

I think the current ski record for the course is 41.5 off but maybe I am out of date.

Not exactly critical to the conversation, but just to update.  Current record is 2.5 balls at 43 off. (wow!)  Nate Smith. If you dont think the records are getting hard to beat, that was set in 2013. Even Nate has never beat it   I heard he  ran 3 balls recently in a tournament, but there was some discussion as to whether it would qualify because of the type tournament it was.  Not sure of the outcome of that discussion.  To put that in perspective, I just heard something last week that I did not know.  Only 12 skiers have ever completed a 41 off pass.  That surprised me.  Number 12 just did it a week or so ago.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frankjgorke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2021 at 1:52pm
Thanks 63 Skier. Appreciate any other experiences or educated guesses!

Good idea on weight for the Sport. We usually go w/ only a driver and spotter and only have a few skis and a paddle in the boat, but maybe I'll leave all the cushions on the dock. :) 

For color: I've recently gotten back to slalom and haven't skied behind a more modern ski boat. But when I compare video footage of myself crossing wakes vs. what you see of the new boats on social media or in marketing footage, the apparent wake size and shape differences are striking. (I tried 22, 28 and 32 off this summer and while the Sport wake gets better there's a pretty sizable trough outside the second wake.) Of course video can be deceiving....
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2021 at 3:29pm
The main factors for me are fuel and what I have in the trunk.  I'm not good at keeping the boat light so we compromise most days, plus our ski group is generally 4-5 people so we deal with what we have.  But on those days that we have just a driver and spotter, 1/4 tank fuel, leave the anchor and toolbox etc. out of the boat, the improvement in wake is very noticeable.

The other problem is rope length.  15 off no problem, 22 off at 32 and there's a big bump when you cross.  I'm not good enough to get into 28 and 32 off so not sure about that.  If you are trying those rope lengths I think you'll really appreciate the improvement with a Ski Nautique.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2021 at 11:31am
Frank, I sent you a PM.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frankjgorke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2021 at 12:11pm
Ah - let me not create a false impression! :) No buoys on the lake. Just free-skiing. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic