NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ski Boat Flipped by Big Wakes & Poor Driving

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ski Boat Flipped by Big Wakes & Poor Driving
    Posted: August-29-2021 at 7:16pm
The picture below is from a local lake (Jordanelle State Park).  My daughter was on a neighbor's G25 SAN "surf barge" and watched the Park Rangers tow the upside-down boat in to the marina area.  Based on the rudder and tracking fins, I'd say this is a Malibu Response.  My daughter asked the local Rangers and the incident seems to have been caused by big surf wakes and poor driving by the Malibu operator.

Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2021 at 7:43pm
Two of my friends were hurt two weeks ago by one of the large surf barges.  My brother driving his Keaton Jet boat, 18' boat and my buddy driving his Pro Am Skier both came around a corner to find a 5-6' wake staring at them.   My brother broke two ribs when his boat hit the wake and my buddy was hurt by the hard jam to his rump and spine when his boat slammed down after the wake.   Lucky both boats were empty just running to the dock to pick up more people in our party.
Next day I was pulling a skier on great water and one of the surf barges decided to take off in front of me so I had to cut all power and dump the skier to avoid flying over his wake.  The guy could have waited 20 seconds and we would have been past him, but no, no courtesy at all.
We used to ski on the deep water channel that has all the large freighters hauling goods in it.  We could ski on glass water most of the day but one or two freighters would pass.  Those boats throw a  6' plus wave but they were 100 yards long and 50' high, you saw them coming from a long distance.   
We need some regulations, the wakes are beyond safe for other boaters.  I have surfed, I acknowledge it can be fun but it is not safe.
I can see how the boat was flipped, our boats were not built to run in 6' waves.
Sorry but that is my rant.
Mark
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2021 at 6:43am
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

We need some regulations, the wakes are beyond safe for other boaters.  
Mark

I agree and at least in some areas like mine, the regulations are coming. Not only due to the wakes being dangerous to other boaters but also the damage they are doing to the shorelines. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2021 at 7:10am
There was a time when you saw an inboard boat and you knew that they were experienced well mannered . Wallies didn't buy inboards. All of that changed with the surfship craze . Now anybody with the cash or credit wants to surf. I used to get mad at tubers and wave runners now its the surfships causing all the problems . They are mostly operated by rude uninformed drivers that don't look any farther back than their rider to see what's happening with the wake. I don't know where they got you need smooth water to surf? One or more surfships in any cove will tear it up for everybody . The banning is coming ?   
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2021 at 7:38am
The next must-have will be a 'Bow-Cam' so you can show video to the DNR & your insurance adjuster.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2021 at 10:10am
Chris given what we've encountered this year i'm ready
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2021 at 1:37pm
Last year was the worst here,but I notice this year on the weekends they are the first ones out in the morning 
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
dkimball View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dkimball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2021 at 2:40pm
I agree the wakes can be annoying when you have to cross them in a smaller ski oriented (direct drive) type boat but I still do not understand how you could actually flip it over.  I assume it was likely swamped first and then rolled over as it was sinking? 

I don't enjoy crossing the surf wakes in my DD 216 but they can be done safely, you just need to slow down and throttle through them to keep the nose up.  If you have an inexperienced skier chances are they are going to fall if you pull them full speed through the wave so I typically slow down and sink them to protect the boat.  
Kimball
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2021 at 6:04pm
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2021 at 8:58pm
Catch one of those wakes on their inside corner anything bad is possible
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2021 at 9:12pm
Maybe not poor driving just bad luck.  Wrong place at the wrong time.  A couple of those boats in the same area of the lake going in different directions can produce some enormous wakes when they start crossing each other.
92 SN - Owned since 93
99 Pro Air
89 SN - Went to live on a lake in Texas
75 Donzi 16 - Sold in 93
FredWSauer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FredWSauer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2021 at 2:58pm
I can't see when I ski (wear thick glasses) and three years ago my younger son driving wasn't paying attention and the timing was perfect for me to being cutting out wide and right into one of those waves.  Smashed my face on my knees and herniated three discs in my back.  Two trips for deep spine shots and 3 months out of commission.  I do not like those boats. I do not like them Sam I am.   

Would the situation for flipping a ski boat be completely sideways to the wave?

When I see them coming, I time the wave and turn the boat so the wave hits my boat at a 45 angle from the back ski deck.
- FWS
1993 Ski Nautique
1978 Glastron T-160
1994 Weeres Pontoon - Wife's Boat
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2021 at 3:18pm
Fred are you skiing with no glasses at all? I have the same problem- Larry,75 Tique here told me about these goggles https://www.swimoutlet.com/products/tyr-corrective-optical-goggles-3465?ab=1&color=clearlens
When I had my last eye exam I asked my doctor which ones lens wise I should get,they were so inexpensive that I thought I'd give it a try. Worth every penny.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2021 at 7:00am
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

The next must-have will be a 'Bow-Cam' so you can show video to the DNR & your insurance adjuster.

I run with a dash cam on my comp boats windshield now.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2021 at 3:16pm
My vision is fading also, I have used contacts for snow skiing but I hate installing them and removing them so I only use them for snow ski days.  I did use them once for water skiing and they worked perfectly.  These are the soft disposable lens type.  They stayed put and vision was great.   I just hate the installation procedure.  So far it still takes me nearly 30 minutes each time.  If I could master the install procedure I would use them much more.   Removal is faster, less than 10 minutes.   I only snow ski about 12 -15 days per year and that is not enough to get good at using the contacts.  Other people use them daily and install is about 30 seconds each eye so it can be learned.

Fred I hope you had a full recovery, that is a terrible injury.   

Mark
DVskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2021 at 11:27pm
Another vision enhancement option is Restor Lens. This is a plastic Lens that’s inserted into the eye, first the Lens over the eye is peeled back, then the Lens is inserted. This Lens is typicaly used for cataract correction. This is covered under MediCare (if you’re eligible for MediCare). There is an option to include near vision correction as well ( not covered by MediCare). Since I hated wearing reading glasses for near vision I chose that option. It was $5k and well worth it, I am now 20-20 for near and distance vision. No correction ever needed. I had the surgery done 10 years ago and am totally pleased.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic