NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Boat is just too small...

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2021 at 9:42am
I'll give my usual comment on Sport's, sounds like you're already there though.  While '93-'97 Sports are one of my favorite hulls looks-wise, I wouldn't give up the trunk in my '98 for anything.  I carry too much, some of that is just me wanting peace of mind, but being able to stow pfd's and ski vests and anchor and toolbox and fenders with room to spare, all out of sight, is one of the things that makes these DD Sport/Air's so practical.

We get by fine without a tower and I prefer the look, but I certainly understand the utility of a tower and if there ever is a next boat I'm guessing it will have one.

So I vote '98-up DD Sport/Air or, depending on budget, 206.  Playpen has worked fine for us, just a week ago I was lounging up there lying with my shoulders against the bow cushion while someone skied since we had a full boat.  I wouldn't turn down a '98 if it was the right deal.

Mark, have you been in a Sport or skied behind one?  I know it's a bit of a drive but any afternoon/evening you want to give one a try we could go for a ski and grab a beer after.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2021 at 12:58pm
Hi David, thanks so much for the offer. I do get up that way from time to time, so I'll reach out if I find myself up there before end of season.

My first Nautique was a '99 Sport, actually purchased from original owner, from this site. Michigan boat with almost no hours. I bought it in Spring of 2010, sold fall of 2013 when I got relo'd to SW FL, and my home was on salt water. I miss it Cry 

So, anyway, I'm up to speed on the Sports. I'll find one. Ideally would sell first, so as to keep the boss happy ;-) 

MJS

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2021 at 5:23pm
Yes, guess you know your Sports!  I'll keep my eyes open for one.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2021 at 7:49pm
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2021 at 4:21pm
So quite a few years ago there were a few threads that talked about the hull differences, from the first Sports to the '93-'97 to the '98 up hulls, and how the '98 up compared to the Ski's of that era.  I think I remember reading that the 216 is not simply a newer model of the '98 up Sport, that the hull is not as good a slalom hull.  Might be worth looking into before considering one.  I apologize is this is incorrect, I will try to look back for the thread but I remember it being mentioned.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2021 at 5:23pm
All good info. Yeah, not much interested in 216 and such. That's approaching 'barge-territory'!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2021 at 7:11pm
Here is a 99 Air on FB 20K and you could be in Team Red!     https://www.facebook.com/commerce/listing/291528385641530/?media_id=0&ref=share_attachment
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2021 at 8:13pm
Hi Gary. I sent her a note asking the usual questions on why a new motor and interior on a 500 hour boat!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2021 at 8:59pm
I didn't see that mentioned. That GT40 engine I rebuilt had come from Texas- they had burnt a piston and rather than rebuild they had found another engine. Maybe there's a connection LOL
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2021 at 10:16pm
So, the boat came out of Maryland from the original owner. Sounds as if it has been in NH with current owners for quite sometime. Was a very low hour boat that started smoking, lost some compression, so the new owners dropped a long block in it. They tried to sell last year, but thought the interior was turning folks off, hence the new skins. It is likely priced right or a touch high, given that prices are starting to come down. Doesn't appear to be anything fancy about the trailer it is sitting on....
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2021 at 10:32pm
If you are not in a hurry boats prices drop between Nov and February.  Don’t wait longer though, prices go up when the weather starts to get better.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2021 at 10:36pm
So, how do the later model 206's perform with the base 5.0 Pro Sport motor? My first thought is under powered, given 35 less HP than teh GT40 in my SN, on a boat that weighs almost 600 lbs more. Hmmmmm
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2021 at 10:45pm
They perform pretty good, they are slightly propped down so they have plenty of pull and likely won’t have issues pulling lots of skiers out of the water - the exception is barefoot skiing - they can pull a footer but it will be borderline
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2021 at 10:53pm
Thanks for the intel Joe. How's the boat coming? Update when you can Joe.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2021 at 11:22pm
I thought you were talking about that red 99 in Texas- did you look at it?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2021 at 3:12am
I believe the 5.0L PCM engine is the Chevy design, if a power upgrade is needed for the 206 the 350 chevy is a straight bolt in, std rotation or an upgrade to a 383 or even a 396 is possible with the 350 block for very reasonable money so an extra 100 HP is available if you think that boat needs it.  Labor is still very expensive for this type of conversion but the parts are available and easy to come by if you do the work yourself.  Not saying anything bad about the 5.0L they are good reliable engines just a little short on power compared to the other engines mentioned.
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2021 at 8:17am
What appears to be a nice 2001 Sport Nautique showed up on Facebook Classic Correct Craft Boats this morning.
Tony Johnson listed the boat for $29,500 obo 
Boat is located in Wetumpka, AL

Phone # 334.657.0705
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2021 at 8:29am
Thanks, another of the same in Atlanta. Plenty available as we get close to storage time:-)
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2021 at 8:46am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

I thought you were talking about that red 99 in Texas- did you look at it?

No, the red one in ATL.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2021 at 9:55am
Originally posted by ultrarunner ultrarunner wrote:

Thanks for the intel Joe. How's the boat coming? Update when you can Joe.

Long time ccfans Rob Leinen and Reid Pinkham have 5.0 206’s that were high Hour camp boats, then purchased and restored by Jmurph used for a few years and passed on - thought was the motors could be easily upgraded if needed but last I knew both were still happy healthy 5.0s.

My 2003 is coming along - have all the parts in hand and have cleaned up and prepped the used 98 Chevy Tahoe long block that is going in. Hope to paint and install over the next couple weekends while the SO is going to be out of town
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic