Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Throttle Control on 1997 Nautique is Tired...

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
jblake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Throttle Control on 1997 Nautique is Tired...
    Posted: August-21-2021 at 11:50am
We purchased our first official ski boat - a 1997 Ski Nautique.  It's quite beautiful.  The previous owner was into keeping it looking nice but not into maintenance. I have a few things to fix...  He said the throttle was a bit "fussy".  The handle nearly falls off.  And finding neutral can be a challenge.  I have assessed the situation and believe I need to replace what I think is a Morse MV-2 control (according to what's left of the manual).

Suggestions on what I should purchase as a replacement would be welcome.  Possible the Ski/Jet Boat CH2200P/2300P?

Thanks.
JayBird
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2021 at 1:00pm
If you click on the link below you'll see what Wetskier 2000 had for a throttle control on his 97 SN and what he bought for a new one Wink

The original was a Single MV Teleflex replaced with the control pictured in the link which came  from Seastar Solutions

Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2021 at 8:08pm
Do a search on Google for:

"Seastar Solutions 106266"  and that will take you to several purchase options.  I've used www.skidim.com with great results.  They carry this model.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Mpost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2021 at 8:29am
Jay, 
Where are you located in Minn?
Not sure how far you have gotten into the throttle control, but my 98 was quite sloppy when I bought it. A little time and some cleaning and grease and it was working like butter. Here are a couple of pictures of how to get the handle off and what it looks like. There is a very small allen head screw at the bottom of the handle at the blue arrow. there is a slot in the chrome ring that must be down to get at the screw. Also take the phillips screw out of the center and the handle should come off. This was where most of the slooppy handle came from on mine. 
There was also a lot of dried grease on the controls on the back side. A god cleaning and some new marine grease did wonders. 
Here is a link to another post when I was working on mine. link

84 SN Sold   98 SN    Lund Pro V   1975 Alumacraft
jblake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2021 at 9:48am
Thank you all so much for the posts and the suggestions.  I am located in Prior Lake, MN.  The boat is actually on a lake at my father-in-law's cabin in Cumberland, WI.  He is 84 and still ski's once a year!  Wish I was half as fit as he is.  I will take another pass at repair before purchasing new.
JayBird
winniskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote winniskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2021 at 7:12am
Years ago, my throttle action was very stiff, though the control was a little sloppy.  I convinced myself that it was the control.  I took it out, cleaned and greased it.  No luck.  Bought a new one.  Not better.  Replaced the cable.  All fixed.  Now I have the old control in a box that I look at once a year and wonder whether I should throw it away.  I'd be happy to send it to you if you pay for the shipping.  If you decide it worth something and you want to keep it, then I would ask you to make a corresponding donation to a local charity. Logistically, it could take me weeks to send it.  

If you don't want it, the offer is open to everyone on CCFan.

Let me know.

Jim
Jim
jblake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2021 at 1:16pm
Thank you for the offer Jim.  My new control from Nautique Parts is scheduled to arrive on Monday.  I may soon be in the same "one a year conundrum" as you.  Hopefully not as the cables seem to move quite freely.  We will see.  It will be several weeks before I will be able to attempt the change out.

- Jay
JayBird

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote winniskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2021 at 5:53am
Update?
Jim

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote winniskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2021 at 5:53am
Update?

Jim
jblake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2021 at 10:40am
Sorry for the very late reply.  Life, job, etc. got in the way.  I got up to the lake and took off the handle, it was trashed inside.  The spring clip was broken and the casting was cracked.  Not sure what gorilla was driving it.  Anyway, I put the new handle on, lined it up with neutral in the transmission and bam...we have a "new" boat.  I have a new spare control sitting in a box now... expensive handle... The old control seems to be operating smoothly - no tension at all in the cables.  I also winterized an inboard for the first time - I've had an I/O for 20 years.    Changed oil, drained water, put a hose from the intake filter to a pail with 5 gal of RV antifreeze, primed the line to the pump with antifreeze, idled the motor till the pail was empty and the driveway was a nice shade of pink.  Put fogging oil in each piston and rolled.  Think we are good till spring when I will learn how to get out of the water without having my arms ripped off...  Thanks for the advice!
JayBird
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic