Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Monsoon 350 SS into a Nautique Sport 1992?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Ian H View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Monsoon 350 SS into a Nautique Sport 1992?
    Posted: August-18-2021 at 5:03am
My 351W  in my Nautiue Sport has dropped a valve an distroyed itself which I am now working through on another thread. In aparalleI have the offer of a Monsoon 350SS from a Malabu 2017 (In Hong Kong commercial operations swap out the gaoline for diesel leaving an orphan gasoline engine) Has this kind of switch been attempted before? It looks overwhelmingly complicated and a different kind of animal but at the same time has all the benefits of another 20 years of engine development. 
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2021 at 10:35am
You may get more help over on the Malibu site as they would be more experienced with the monsoon motors.
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2021 at 11:11am
The Monsoon is a strong engine -- no doubt.  If the engine has all accessories and is a true "drop-in" then the swap-out will be easier.  Keep in mind that you may need to find a transmission to match-up with the Monsoon.  Is the Monsoon fuel injected?  If so, then you will need to do some fuel system modifications in addition to the engine / trans swap.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2021 at 1:48pm
Jonny 

I really want to see a 2017 Monsoon 350 SS that came with a carburetor from the factory  Wink
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2021 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Jonny 

I really want to see a 2017 Monsoon 350 SS that came with a carburetor from the factory  Wink

One can never assume...maybe the P.O. put a QuickFuel carby on it for some REAL performance!

Good point.  A a late-model high performance engine is gonna be EFI.  So...there will have to be some modification to the fuel system to run EFI and electric fuel pumps with a return line.  Not a big problem, but one that has to be addressed.
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Ian H View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2021 at 8:11pm
 I got to take a first look I wonder if I can reverse the headers ? 

looks like mu A40 velevet drive will fit 
Mountings are basically in the right place 
Electrical is the biggest concern I am now hunting for some documentation but I am guessing this is a CAN interface with a display. I can already see that if I cannnot ge the wire harness or at least the engine side connectors it will be too expensive and complicated to be viable. 
But difficut to turn down when it is there for the taking. 
Ian H View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2021 at 9:01pm
By the look of it the stud pattern looks symetical so at least I could get the exhaust in the right direction. 
JD ski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2021 at 12:14am
It would appear that the Monsoon is a GM Motor not a Ford 351.With that said the changes would be many. Does the motor come with the ECU?
Is the rotation of the motor the same direction as your Super Sport? It appears that the Monsoon motor is out of a V-drive/wake board surf boat.
Do the motor mounting points match?
Will it fit under the motor box?
The raw water pump style of the Monsoon will not fit in the motor compartment but you may be able to fabricate the Natique style to work.
Your question all depends on your ability as a  fabricator/designer and how much money and time you want to spend.

If the Monsoon is free take it and sell it. Then take that money and replace your 351 with another 351.then you have a bolt in set up. Just change some parts over to the new block. You will be way ahead on time and money by sticking to a stock set up.

JD ski, slicing, dicing, and shredding since 1981

1999 Air Nautique, GT40 Pro Boss, Trail Rite trailer
1975 Century Resorter
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2021 at 3:12am
Originally posted by JD ski JD ski wrote:

If the Monsoon is free take it and sell it. Then take that money and replace your 351 with another 351.then you have a bolt in set up. Just change some parts over to the new block. You will be way ahead on time and money by sticking to a stock set up.

Would be my idea as well...
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic