NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Tow Vehicle on Order

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
Author
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2021 at 8:36pm
You screwed up big time here Jonny. Wink

Since your 4Runner is gone, Ford is gonna notify you that your truck won't be produced for 2 more years and then you'll end up buying a Subaru Forester to tow your boat with
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2021 at 4:38pm
I've been thinking about doing similar, replacing my diesel 2500 with a newer version, and selling both the older pickup and my Durango.  While the prices on the newer (I'm looking at 2016-2018) pickups are frightening, the price I can get on the two vehicles is pretty compelling.

I heard this morning that GM is idling some US plants because of the chip shortage.  The prices on vehicles, new and used, isn't going to drop in the short term.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2021 at 3:37pm
We live in kooky times...

I'm preparing for the new F-350 truck, so I put my Toyota 4Runner up for sale to help finance the new diesel monster.  Well, I just sold the 4Runner -- and I got $3,000 MORE than I paid for it.  Damn.  Yes, it was a nice rig.  Yes, it had nice tires and wheels.  Yes it's a one-owner vehicle, but...32,000 miles...3 years "free" driving...plus $3 grand extra in the bank.  What the Ford is going on?

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2021 at 3:49pm
I spent the last 8 Years working in Heavy Duty, we supplied the internal Engine parts and Wheel end components, brakes, seals, bearings for Class 8 Trucks.  Prior 20 years in Automotive.  We had the OEM contracts for Cummins, Cat, Detroit, Ford and GM on many of the engines.  Our main competitor was Mahle.
We did not do much with the Volvo PacCar Diesel engines.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2021 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

JQ, what I struggle with on that Diesel scandal is the fact that those old illegal VW engines were getting an easy 50+ mpg highway but were illegal.  They fix the computer control and now they only get 36-40 MPG.  So they burn 20% more fossil fuel but now they are considered clean?  I struggle with that one.  We want clean air but it seems like someone wants less MPG in the process. 

[JQ Climbs on soapbox]  The "culture kookiness" is enough to make my head explode.  My company is in the petroleum, refining, mining and electric power industries.  All of these industries are coming under attack from some special interest group -- and often from governmental agencies.  The amount of MIS-information and DIS-information is shocking.  The vast majority of "John Q Public" is so poorly informed, yet it seems to be driving legislation, policy and public opinion.

Warning on your Ford, be very careful to never put the DEF in your fuel tank.  It is a $25,000 repair if that is done.  The DEF is very high acid content and it takes out the entire fuel system.  Fuel Lines, Injectors and the fuel tank.   It has happened so often that Ford now sells a repair KIT with all these parts included.  Might want a separate lock on that cap and keep control over it yourself.  

I've been around Class 8 trucks all my life, so I'm aware of the perils of Diesel Exhaust Fluid in the wrong tank.  Thanks, however, for the reminder as one foul-up will be a very bad, very expensive day.

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2021 at 1:20pm
JQ, what I struggle with on that Diesel scandal is the fact that those old illegal VW engines were getting an easy 50+ mpg highway but were illegal.  They fix the computer control and now they only get 36-40 MPG.  So they burn 20% more fossil fuel but now they are considered clean?  I struggle with that one.  We want clean air but it seems like someone wants less MPG in the process.  
Go to a Tractor Pull, those buggers put out enough black smoke to choke a city each night and that is legal.
Warning on your Ford, be very careful to never put the DEF in your fuel tank.  It is a $25,000 repair if that is done.  The DEF is very high acid content and it takes out the entire fuel system.  Fuel Lines, Injectors and the fuel tank.   It has happened so often that Ford now sells a repair KIT with all these parts included.  Might want a separate lock on that cap and keep control over it yourself.  
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2021 at 9:42am

You know a few years back Audi ran a 10 cylinder Diesel at the 24 hours of Lemans and WON.  The power and gas mileage gave them a step up on the competition.  Have not heard about them doing that since, regulations probably pushed them out of the race.

Keep thinking that Mark- could not have possibly been the cheating involved in the corporate diesel scandal 😳
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2021 at 8:55am
That M-11 cummins with a full payload going up hill will not get you a speeding ticket ever!
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2021 at 1:35am
Just think Jonny, in the future you will be able to tow all your friends boats to the lake, AT THE SAME TIME.
What is your new beast rated to tow 25-35,000 pounds!  BTW:  Car and Driver said Ford uses computer controls to keep your engine from breaking their parts so when you floor it the computer decides how fast you will take off.  The Dodge and Chevy were faster at the drag strip because of this programming but who cares, your truck will haul the bacon for you.
You know a few years back Audi ran a 10 cylinder Diesel at the 24 hours of Lemans and WON.  The power and gas mileage gave them a step up on the competition.  Have not heard about them doing that since, regulations probably pushed them out of the race.
Hope you see your new truck soon.
AlfaDon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlfaDon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2021 at 1:31am
"The lovely Mrs. Quest has decided that she wants a 5th wheel RV / Trailer. "

aka Jessie Bannon lol
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2021 at 1:03am
I’m still trying to get my head around 475 HP and 1,050 pound-feet of torque…2,600 and 1,600 RPMs respectively. 

I realize it’s an apples-to-oranges comparison, but the Cummins M-11 engine (Class 8 trucks) is 400HP and 1,450 pound-feet of torque…pulling 80,000 GVW.

Damn.  

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2021 at 12:18am
No doubt the newer diesels are the class in towing, my first diesel was a 1984 Suburban 3/4 Ton 4x4 with the 6.2L.   Got good MPG at that time but it had no power to speak of, I think it was 140 HP and 260 ft pounds of torque.  We did see over 20 MPG on long trips and it was great when not towing but towing I remember going up hills on the highway in 1st gear at 25 MPH and could not go any faster.  I bought a turbo to install to fix that issue and danged if the truck was not wrecked, we were rear ended hard.  Never got to enjoy the turbo.
My buddy owns a cattle ranch, located at 6,000 ft in Idaho, his Ford has so much power he says he has to slow down for turns going up the big passes near his ranch while towing 20,000 pounds.   His is 5 years old and I know they have more power now.  Car and Driver did a Test on the new Diesel full size trucks at the drag strip.   These full size 8,000 pound rigs were doing the 1/4 mile faster than a 1967 GTO with a 4 speed and 4.11 gears.   Who would have thought this would ever happen.  Amazing rigs.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2021 at 8:25pm
Awesome truck!!!  The power is beyond belief, my friend has a '20, combined with a remarkably good ride and fairly quiet depending on what you run for tires.

The power gains in these diesels is the story.  My '98 6.5 had 185 HP and 380 lb.-ft. torque, and it towed very well.  My '07 6.6 Duramax is 360 HP, 650 lb.-ft. and seems to be endlessly powerful.  The numbers on the new trucks are, at this point, almost overkill.  I know GM and Ford were both trying to be the first to get torque over 1000.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2021 at 8:01pm
my buddy bought one, platinum option, his wife has a very nice BMW, every time she goes to see the kids, a 240 mile trip she looks for reasons to take his truck now.  She loves it on the road, they go from Las Vegas to Newport Beach to visit kids and the truck rolls along any speed she wants and gets nearly 20 MPG not towing.
They are expensive for sure but deliver.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2021 at 7:58pm
VERY NICE TRUCK JQ!  those 6.7l diesels are incredible engines you will love it.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2021 at 5:47pm
This is what the "build" looks like...courtesy of the Ford website.

No DRW -- SRW only.  The DRW would be a very tight fit in my garage door.  As such, I had to get the power folding mirrors so that they can fold flat without some bonehead (me) tearing them off...

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2021 at 5:45pm
I had a customer that hauled heavy loads in his pick up bed.  He had Ford F350 long beds.  He was delivering engines so the load in the bed might be 2,500  pounds or more.  When he was buying single rear wheel trucks the rear tires lasted about 25,000 max, he was advised to switch to dually rear wheels and the same size Ford F350 now got more than 60,000 rear tire life and the load was much more stable to drive.  The width and extra sidewalls help balance and contain the loads.  Extra tire life was a bonus.  If you don't haul heavy loads probably will never need the extra wheels.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2021 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by 67 ski nat 67 ski nat wrote:

Round here, we see a lot of duallys for heavy live stock, expensive horses
Probably just adds a safety feature Incase of a blowout.

Well one thing a dually has going for it, if you are pulling a horse trailer or other heavy trailer over grass and dirt, the dual tire flotation will make it much less likely to get stuck in soft ground.

Love the old hunk of steel and cubic inches approach to American luxury cars of that era!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2021 at 5:28pm
Remember back in the good old days when you'd slap on a hitch and a trans cooler on your everyday car and go "camping"? Mileage was not much different than my Avalanche. 472 in '71 or 500 in '76 cubic inches of American made muscle. The 76 eventually went all the way to Alaska and back. Love that blue Don!

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2021 at 4:52pm
Round here, we see a lot of duallys for heavy live stock, expensive horses
Probably just adds a safety feature Incase of a blowout.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2021 at 3:20pm
No question dually's add some stability for towing, but ......

Rob's new pickup will be around 7,500 lbs. I think.  It will be plenty stable for nearly any TT he can put behind it.  Good tires, aired up to max inflation (75-80 psi) and that Powerstroke will pull it and stay planted with no issues.

Dually's are marginally useful IMO, and I've owned 2.  Snow traction is not as good, parking sucks.  I'd have to be really towing heavy to consider a dually as a daily driver.
AlfaDon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlfaDon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2021 at 2:25pm
Thanks Rob.  It does clean up nice for vacation!

I don't know how big your TT is going to be, but I read that a lot of the FT RVers like the DRW for stability

Just my $0.02
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2021 at 12:57pm
Beautiful rig Don.  Love the blue color.  

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2021 at 12:43pm
That is a pretty rig, can’t imagine how long it takes to load all that.
AlfaDon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlfaDon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2021 at 3:06am
AlfaDon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlfaDon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2021 at 2:56am
You're going to love it!  

I pull my boat with a 3 seater jetski in the bed.  Rumbling up highway grades at 1750 RPM/70 mph at peak torque. At least in my 2015 6.6L Duramax.

Make sure you get all the camera options. They're expensive to add later

Don't forget the extended warranty!  It is a Ford after all LOL
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2021 at 12:33am
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

JQ, congrats!  That truck is so long parallel parking becomes something you used to think about doing.

I looked up the turning radius in the spec sheet and it said “1 time-zone”

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2021 at 11:12pm
JQ, congrats!  That truck is so long parallel parking becomes something you used to think about doing.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2021 at 11:03pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

Originally posted by Smithfamily Smithfamily wrote:

That package come with 30 year financing?

At the current pricing it would have to for me to get a new one or used one for that matter. That’s why I’m still nursing my ‘06 Lariat Power Stroke along for at least another year or more.

The motor is as strong as day one but living in the rust belt is taking its toll Angry damn that salt.

Mine is WAY newer than yours. Big smile

2007 Duramax 2500HD crew cab short bed.  265,000 miles (I bought it with 204,000 4 years ago).  Running perfectly, in very good shape.  I've looked at replacements lately, but I can't justify the price.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2021 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by Smithfamily Smithfamily wrote:

That package come with 30 year financing?

At the current pricing it would have to for me to get a new one or used one for that matter. That’s why I’m still nursing my ‘06 Lariat Power Stroke along for at least another year or more.

The motor is as strong as day one but living in the rust belt is taking its toll Angry damn that salt.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
  Share Topic