NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Tow Vehicle on Order

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
Author
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Tow Vehicle on Order
    Posted: December-31-2021 at 6:39pm
My 2014 JGC Ecodiesl still going strong at 230Klms. Flash tuned when warranty expired at 100K to disable EGR. Fitted crankcase Provent catch can at around 50K to minimize crankcase oil reaching inlet manifold,intercooler and turbo. All emissions equipment still installed.
I plan to keep this vehicle going as long as I can as Jeep no longer bring the diesel option in any of their vehicles to Australia Cry

If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2021 at 8:50am
She probably thought Peugeot sounded sexy rolling off your tongue
But those trunks were weird with the hump. Kinda cool grill
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2021 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by 67 ski nat 67 ski nat wrote:

Mr Quest, those Audi 5000 were super cool euro stuff back in day. I always thought chics would dig them. Wasn’t that the Quattro too

Chicks dig big German cars.  My 5000 wasn't a Quattro, but the Q was very cool.  My wife (back then she was my girlfriend) loved the Euro cars I drove.  I was importing "gray-market" cars over from Germany.  My cousin owned a shop in northern Germany and would send me gray-market cars regularly.  I always had a Porsche, Audi, BMW or Mercedes as my daily-driver.  I even had a Peugeot 505 for a few months.  My wife LOVED the Peugeot.  Go figure...

JQ

Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2021 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Paul the highest I've seen on the road not towing so far was 38, the above being city driving. I have to keep perspective- the Avy would have been getting 12. 
It will be interesting what JQ gets on the truck, I'm sure it will beat the Avalanche with ease

MPG
Well the rig has over 500 miles on it already.  I haven't filled it up yet as the long-bed has a 48 gallon fuel tank.  I may need a 2nd mortgage when I have to fill it.  According to the Ford factory "trip computer" this beast gets 18+ MPG around town.  This assumes no warm-up idle for 10 minutes in my garage.  On the freeway today (I-15 and I-80) I got 23-24 MPG on cruise at 65 MPH.  At 70-72 MPH, the mileage dropped down to 21 MPG.  The real test will come when I tow the Ski Nautique down to the lake.  THAT is the number I'm interested in.  Anyway, not too shabby for a 7,500 pound truck.  

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2021 at 1:39pm
Paul the highest I've seen on the road not towing so far was 38, the above being city driving. I have to keep perspective- the Avy would have been getting 12. 
It will be interesting what JQ gets on the truck,I'm sure it will beat the Avalanche with ease
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2021 at 9:12am
Mr Quest, those Audi 5000 were super cool euro stuff back in day. I always thought chics would dig them. Wasn’t that the Quattro too
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2021 at 8:49am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Gary only 40.3 at an average 28mph ??  My VW gets 38 at 80 mph. 100 mi round trip commute 98% highway
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2021 at 8:40am
Oh by the way my '04 Jetta has over 320,000 mi and in the spring I picked up a new to me '14 Passat TDI (LOVE IT)

MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2021 at 8:15pm
My first Diesel was a GM 6.2L in a Suburban, 140 HP and maybe 245 TQ, got good MPG but had very little power, with the boat on the back it was a toad, took forever to get up to hwy speed.  We drove it 14years.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2021 at 3:40pm
Well I could always plug in at home but it was at work where my troubles usually began and I could not be late picking up our son at day care. After burning out glow plugs and fuses eventually I found out that much like you did JQ that it would fire right off if I towed it. One day found a piece of rope the line gang had thrown out,tied a loop on each end slipped it on the bumper and a buddies hitch. In less than 10 ft it would be running but.... he had to take at least 2 laps around the lot just because he could!
JQ talk about torque steer- that Rabbit had unequal drive shafts and because of that would pull to the right when slippery. Not quite a mile from home is almost a 1/2 mile grade and if it wasn't plowed yet I'd have to start going up it in the other lane because if I didn't by the time I got to the top I'd be in the ditch. As it was I would end up on the right hand shoulder. 
We also had your cousin-

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2021 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

Gary:

Were you man enough to handle all the torque-steer that came with the Wolfsburg monster?

40.3 MPG is pretty snappy.  Back "in the day" I had an Audi 5000 diesel with a 5-speed manual tranny.  In the winter, I would add 10% gasoline to the #2 diesel fuel to help mitigate fuel gelling and to improve starting,  Well, that Audi was damn cold-blooded and did not want to start using only the starter motor and glow-plugs.  So, I came up with a sure-fire (pun intended) trick that I would use to start the German ice cube.  I lived way up in the foothills and the road leading to my house had a nice 6% grade.  When the weather turned cold, I would park the Audi so that it was pointing downhill.  I would turn the key on and put the tranny in neutral.  I would coast downhill until the speedo hit 30 MPH.  Clutch in.  Tranny in 4th gear.  Release the clutch pedal.  It never failed to start with that method.  Yes, it rattled and smoked, but it started and ran.  No doubt that it was hard on the engine to start it like that...but what the hell...

JQ

I love stories like that!  Actually not so hard on the engine, more so the clutch I would think.  Sounds like a block heater would have helped.

The early diesels, Audi and Mercedes and VW, were some of the most bulletproof ones.  No emissions, very robust injection systems.  They had their issues but worth putting up with for those that liked the diesel experience. 
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2021 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

Just a few key things to remember:
Don't put gasoline in the fuel tank.

My wife used to have guys yell at her when at the gas station, that she's putting diesel in her '07 Jeep GC CRD . 
She would tell them that her husband told her to do it, and they would roll their eyes.  LOLLOL

I had similar experiences myself, several times.  I drove an '06 Jeep Liberty CRD, looked like the last thing you should be putting diesel in.

Gary, in the early '80's our neighbor commuted around 150 miles a day in a Rabbit diesel pickup.  The mileage was jaw dropping, he didn't mind the lack of power at all, and utilized the pickup bed quite a bit as well.  Really a pretty amazing vehicle.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2021 at 2:19pm
Gary:

Were you man enough to handle all the torque-steer that came with the Wolfsburg monster?

40.3 MPG is pretty snappy.  Back "in the day" I had an Audi 5000 diesel with a 5-speed manual tranny.  In the winter, I would add 10% gasoline to the #2 diesel fuel to help mitigate fuel gelling and to improve starting,  Well, that Audi was damn cold-blooded and did not want to start using only the starter motor and glow-plugs.  So, I came up with a sure-fire (pun intended) trick that I would use to start the German ice cube.  I lived way up in the foothills and the road leading to my house had a nice 6% grade.  When the weather turned cold, I would park the Audi so that it was pointing downhill.  I would turn the key on and put the tranny in neutral.  I would coast downhill until the speedo hit 30 MPH.  Clutch in.  Tranny in 4th gear.  Release the clutch pedal.  It never failed to start with that method.  Yes, it rattled and smoked, but it started and ran.  No doubt that it was hard on the engine to start it like that...but what the hell...

JQ

Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2021 at 1:46pm
For you diesel newbies, back in the day VW recommended 10% gasoline added if you could not get #1 for winter use. Much like electric cars it was part of being an early adopter. At the time the closest diesel station being 10 miles away much like charging stations are today. Diesels were so rare then that during the last gas shortage,early 80's, I was the only one in the station filling up since gasoline sales were spotty. Someone came in trying to get gas wondering why I was able to buy "gas" and they weren't. The attendant had to explain to them that they had diesel fuel but no gasoline. It had a blistering 48 hp with 58 ft lbs torque but could get 60 mpg on the road,35 was normal around town. Here is my personal best,so far, of my current-

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2021 at 11:20am

Just a few key things to remember:
Don't put gasoline in the fuel tank.

My wife used to have guys yell at her when at the gas station, that she's putting diesel in her '07 Jeep GC CRD . 
She would tell them that her husband told her to do it, and they would roll their eyes.  LOLLOL
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2021 at 10:17am
Originally posted by 67 ski nat 67 ski nat wrote:

I’m not a diesel guy. But a good friend put a BANKS ‘peddle monster’ with a ‘derimger’
Appearantly changes that gas pedal response issue w/o a tune ??
He loves it. Unplugs from port when it goes to dealer. Dealer no findy

Banks Power makes really good stuff. If I go with a tune, it will likely be a Banks.  

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2021 at 7:19am
I’m not a diesel guy. But a good friend put a BANKS ‘peddle monster’ with a ‘derimger’
Appearantly changes that gas pedal response issue w/o a tune ??
He loves it. Unplugs from port when it goes to dealer. Dealer no findy
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2021 at 4:39pm

If I had a new truck I'd hesitate to tune it due to warranty and especially if I planned to service it at a dealership, which I do with vehicles still within warranty.  But I'm fully on board with the benefit of the tunes.

Yeah the warranty is always a concern.  Mine is a bench tune so I actually own 2 separate ECM Modules which I swap if the Jeep ever has to go in for something like a recall.  I put the factory ecm in, let them do whatever they need to it and as soon as I get home I swap the tuned one back,  every time I do that it amazes me how horribly awful the factory tunes runs.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2021 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

My son is a tuner for high performance engines both gas and diesel.  He just told me this week that he has shut down this side business.  Says new laws have the Smog stations checking for tunes in the system and red flags the smog test if you are not factory compliant.   With 1,000 pounds of torque I am not sure it needs more power.

The issue isn't power.   Yes the EPA came down hard a couple of years ago but that has created a new market for compliant tunes.  Many are now geared towards driveability and  reliability issues more than adding power and rolling coal like the old days of tuning.  I'm not talking about deleting just tuning with intact emissions,   I strongly feel my tune is what keeps my Jeep out of the service department. 

Agree. Deleting the EGR function is the most beneficial and simple benefit of a tune.  The other thing is that 475 HP, 1000 plus ft.-lb. diesel can get much better mileage with a tune, without sacrificing power or towing ability.

If I had a new truck I'd hesitate to tune it due to warranty and especially if I planned to service it at a dealership, which I do with vehicles still within warranty.  But I'm fully on board with the benefit of the tunes.
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2021 at 3:37pm
Hey, at least with DEF contamination in your truck, you'll just pull off to the side. A couple of planes out of FL didn't have that option....one had a dual flame-out and successfully landed in SAV. Another had a turn back after having shut one down. Bad juju in my biz! 
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2021 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

My son is a tuner for high performance engines both gas and diesel.  He just told me this week that he has shut down this side business.  Says new laws have the Smog stations checking for tunes in the system and red flags the smog test if you are not factory compliant.   With 1,000 pounds of torque I am not sure it needs more power.

The issue isn't power.   Yes the EPA came down hard a couple of years ago but that has created a new market for compliant tunes.  Many are now geared towards driveability and  reliability issues more than adding power and rolling coal like the old days of tuning.  I'm not talking about deleting just tuning with intact emissions,   I strongly feel my tune is what keeps my Jeep out of the service department. 
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2021 at 12:48pm
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2021 at 10:08am
Beauty. Nice lines for a truck
NOW your gonna need bigger tires and rims, BF Goodrich KO for sure
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2021 at 9:48am
Originally posted by JD ski JD ski wrote:

I have done a lot of research on the diesel fuel and the above study is the best information I have found. It is an older study but still to the point. There is one newer product on the market called Hot Shot with something 4 added that has better luberosity.

I've run Hot Shots Diesel extreme, which for my mileage dosing is every 6 months but I also use Hot Shots Everyday Diesel additive with every fill up.  The Everyday is a cetane booster but more importantly is a fuel system lubricant.  Take care of that fuel pump.  
166,000 miles now with NO fuel system problems.

Also don't get too worried about the def shortage,  1-  2.5 gallon cube lasts me 8000 miles so 6 months.  If we can't find a cube of def in a 6 month period we've got bigger problems.  

I also know nothing about the Powerstroke aftermarket but in the ECO-Diesel world there are Emissions compliant tunes that work wonders and don't void warranties so worth getting on some forums and doing some reading.  I actually run an older non compliant tune which leaves all my emission gear in place but shuts off the egr.  My oil stays cleaner much longer than in stock form.

Enjoy the new rig, she's a beaut.
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2021 at 8:36pm
Nice truck for sure!  We have a 1999 f-250 diesel with 250000 on it and I still enjoy driving it because of the steady power it always provides.  Nothing like your new rod but gets the job done. Enjoy your travels. 
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2021 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Jonny, It's almost here............Christmas that is.

How about the truck, is it almost here or still "IN Production" ?  

Or maybe it's here already Wink

I must be psychotic or psychedelic or psychic or something

Or............maybe just curious Wink
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2021 at 5:28pm
I really do appreciate all the well-intentioned suggestions and feedback.  I'm a firm believer in the value of a preventative approach, so I will perform my due-diligence and come up with a plan on risk mitigation.  In the mean time, I'll be working on 0-60 times and lowering my E/T at the drag strip...

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
AlfaDon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlfaDon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2021 at 5:24pm
Congrats on the new truck. It’ll be fun. Calibrated Power makes great tunes for it when you’re ready.

I run the opti-lube as well. That is when I remember to add it to the fuel. Stanadyne makes a great product too. I added a new metering valve to my CP4 pump which has a finer screen to keep a pump failure from littering the rest of your fuel system when the CP4 explodes. I also went with a FASS aux fuel pump to take the load off of the CP4.
JD ski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2021 at 4:20pm
Yes Merry Christmas, do enjoy, I want one myself. That is why I have done the research on how to avoid a large issue. Just sharing how to keep it at it's best for as long as possible.
JD ski, slicing, dicing, and shredding since 1981

1999 Air Nautique, GT40 Pro Boss, Trail Rite trailer
1975 Century Resorter
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2021 at 3:38pm
Man, let JQ celebrate his new truck a while before offering the horror stories.   For many years Diesel operators added a quart of Tranny fluid, ATF to the tank to add lubricants to diesel fuel, the pumps last longer and it cleans injectors well.  NOT EPA Approved method for sure. 

JQ I read a full test of that truck and they are amazing, you can float down the interstate at 85 MPH and not know your speed, uphill or flat they just motor along.   You are correct about the power, it is just as fast in a 1/4 mile drag race as the best Muscle cars back in 1970, it could blow away a 1966 Corvette 327 4 speed with 4.11 gears in a drag race!   A 427 might beat you but not by a lot.   
Funny but with that type speed Ford actually de tuned it for hard acceleration runs so the drivetrain would last longer, when you floor it you don't get full power except when the tranny is fully engaged in the next gear.  Probably a good thing.  You might have to add a rear wing on your boat trailer to add some downforce and keep your trailer on the ground while towing.

Stay out of the races and enjoy your new toy!  Merry Christmas
Mark
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
  Share Topic