NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Camshafts

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
Author
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2021 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

Well Ken glad you had entertainment this morning.   You are of course correct on safety and spark issues.
I have not seen an open path to open spark in a closed and sealed distributor  so yes I have run 3 automotive distributors in boats now.  In my brothers Supra we swapped the gear at install, I was thinking it was for rotation but I may have swapped for compatibility, meaning I did not trust the gear I saw on the new unit to work on our cam.
I would not use an automotive starter on a boat.
I do religiously run my blower in our boat.

I'd figure swapping for compatibility to have a cast iron gear sounds good.

GM HEI distributors had/have open vents in the bottom of the housing that don't have the appropriate spark arrestor screens and the area where the lever from the vacuum advance mechanism passes through the body isn't sealed or screened....there's an open gap.

That's why they weren't USCG certified.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2021 at 3:42pm
We just ordered a DUI Marine unit this morning for another friend, another odd Ski Boat, a Ski Ray, the Ski Ray has really nice lines, looks similar to the 90's Nautique but is wider taller and has about twice the storage space.  The ski wake suffers from this extra size but they are a nice boat,  I will look the DUI over on install.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2021 at 8:06pm
Must be a Mercruiser 5.7 in the Ski Ray. Sounds like a Sportster model, they were about Sport Nautique size and an open bow or closed bow

Unless he has a Spitfire, but they're kinda not too roomy and closed bow.

Good looking boats

Click on link for some Water Ski Mag info, pages 123 thru 127  Wink

link

You won't see any huge differences in the DUI, just the brass screened vents and a goofy plug to fill the space where the vacuum advance went through the housing. and the vacuum advance mechanism disabled/locked in position
bwinn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2021 at 9:36pm
I have a used cam I’d donate to the cause, it’s just in a long block……..
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2021 at 10:39pm
My buddies Sea Ray is the Ski Ray Sportster, the larger of their boats, I was surprised to read it is rated for tournament duty.  At nearly 3,000 pounds it does have a larger wake but like I mentioned, it is a nice boat with clean lines and drives good.  Long Line wake is large but shortline is not bad.  His does have the Mercruiser 350 ski rated at 260 HP.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2021 at 6:17am
Originally posted by bwinn bwinn wrote:

I have a used cam I’d donate to the cause, it’s just in a long block……..

I had a used cam too, according to the UPS people it should show up at Bucky's on Tuesday 

Save it for the next guy that needs one  Wink
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2021 at 11:06am
‘Kenos marine supply store’
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2021 at 10:44am
I was just about to post that I have one from out of my ‘85 with around 400 hrs on it would need polished and lifters. 

I also have a stock GT-40 cam with about the same amount of hours would need polished but has the lifters. 
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2021 at 7:58pm
Well here it is........... Bucky sent me a picture of the camshaft that came in his project engine

It was a Reverse Rotation camshaft and somebody did their best to stuff a distributor for a normal rotation engine in that hole.

"I just ain't seen nuthin like that before" were the first words that came to mind.

Probably stuck it in as far as it would go and pushed a little harder and bumped the engine over at the same time. Probably repeated that move a handful of times too.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2021 at 9:39pm
Amazing
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2021 at 8:37am
These same type of people curse Fords while doing this abuse
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2021 at 10:03am
Holy cow. I’m amazed it was able to kinda cut new teeth
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2021 at 10:11am
Shocked

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2021 at 10:23am
Y'all get all wound-up over a little scratch or 2?  That'll buff out.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2021 at 12:13pm
I was worried all tha missing metal is in the oil galleries but I guess if it never started and ran the oil galleries may still be clean but I would at least run a magnet through the oil pan.   That is a First.  Someone was very determined to make it work.
Buckyr2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buckyr2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2021 at 12:32pm
Will be sure to change oil and run magnet through it
Buckyr2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buckyr2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2021 at 5:10pm
Good news everyone! I got it all buttoned up and it runs perfect, I appreciate everyones input on the situation. It still has a long way to go but i look forward to having it on the water next summer
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2021 at 7:21am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
  Share Topic