Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Camshafts

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
Buckyr2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buckyr2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Camshafts
    Posted: August-11-2021 at 7:24am
I have a 1988 correct craft martinique that the distributor drive gear on the camshaft is chewed up, can i use a camshaft from a mercruiser 351w?
bwinn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2021 at 9:36am
they would interchange as long as the rotation of both engines is the same.  88 Martinique should be reverse rotation I believe.  
-burton
Buckyr2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buckyr2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2021 at 9:58am
So the rotor on the distributor should turn clockwise if its reverse rotation? My rotor bug rotates counter clockwise
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2021 at 10:06am
They both turn counter clockwise else no oil pressure
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2021 at 10:13am
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

They both turn counter clockwise else no oil pressure

Bucky,
Just to clarify what Tom stated, the distributor turns the same dirction on ether a standard or reverse rotation 351. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
1980nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1980nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2021 at 10:30am
If the distributor drive gear on the camshaft is chewed you will need a reverse rotation Camshaft to get the valve opening correct. And if the Cam gear is as bad as you say it is, don't forget to look at the distributor gear. That is a special piece as well. Melling for example makes reverse rotation camshafts as well as the necessary distributor gear.
Buckyr2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buckyr2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2021 at 10:33am
Do any of you know where i can get the right cam for it? Im wanting to stay with something close to factory so i dont have to deal with water getting to the cylinders
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2021 at 10:52am
http://www.camresearchcorp.com/   also check out their camshaft break in service as well. Don't worry about water reversion I don't think there is any reverse rotation camshaft that is that radical because of their limited application 
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Buckyr2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buckyr2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2021 at 10:59am
Gary im going to make sure I have a reverse rotation engine when i get off work, it seems like the crankshaft was turning clockwise when i was cranking it (before I realized what was wrong)
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2021 at 1:20pm
Here's a link with a good picture to help you figure out your rotation 

Once you're sure of that, things should be easier to figure out as far as parts etc. Wink

There's a reason your gear(s) got chewed up, you should have that figured out/straightened out before just putting new stuff in, to avoid a repeat.
Buckyr2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buckyr2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2021 at 2:48pm
It is a reverse rotation engine, someone must have put the wrong distributor in it, so all i need is a reverse rotation cam and distributor and im all set
Buckyr2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buckyr2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2021 at 2:57pm
And would any of you happen to know whether or not i have a 2 piece rear main seal or not, i dont know how to distinguish the two
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2021 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by Buckyr2 Buckyr2 wrote:

It is a reverse rotation engine, someone must have put the wrong distributor in it, so all i need is a reverse rotation cam and distributor and im all set

You can't put a wrong rotation distributor in it. Wink

The gears won't mesh at all and it comes nowhere even remotely close to being seated right.

If somebody replaced the distributor or the gear and the gear wasn't located at the right place on the shaft you could have issues with wear.

The teeth on your right hand rotation distributor gear would look like this  \\\\\\\\

A normal rotation is the opposite  /////////

The camshaft gears are opposite from each other too.

What do you have for a distributor now ?

Ford started with the one piece seal in 83, so if your engine is original it's a one piece.

You can find the block casting number hiding above and behind the starter if you want to verify when the block was cast or if you have the transmission, bell housing and flywheel out of the way you can see the seal.

Click on the link for some seal info

Buckyr2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buckyr2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2021 at 6:02pm
It has been converted to electronic ignition and there was an old points style distributor (assuming it to be oem) in one of the storage areas. I compared the teeth on the old one to the distributor that is in it now and it is indeed the wrong gear on the newer distributor so i believe I figured out what chewed the camshaft gear to pieces😡 so now i just need a camshaft for the left hand rotation. I looked on mellings website and i couldnt find one for that specific setup, maybe someone has a link?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2021 at 6:13pm
I think you are confused-  "so now i just need a camshaft for the left hand rotation".  Left hand is normal automotive rotation,Correct Craft used right hand rotation engines in their boats. If yours is right handed I gave you a link above- call them,Ford camshafts is all they do. If it's a left handed engine any stock flat tappet automotive cam will work. And like Ken said there is no way that distributor would fit into place and run to damage it like that. You need to find out how and why that damage happened.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Buckyr2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buckyr2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2021 at 6:21pm
Sorry for my incompetence, thats where i was confused, ill get a cam for a left hand rotation engine, and i have no idea how they got the new distributor in there but the gears are definitely opposite on the new and old distributor
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2021 at 6:44pm
Bucky,
Did you confirm the engine rotation using the ling Ken provided?  One post you say LH and the another RH. Here the link again again:

BTW, has the starter been changed lately?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2021 at 7:40pm
OK Bucky................we're gonna get this figured out. Wink

I imagine you could take a couple of pictures of the distributors showing the gear on the new installed one and the gear on the extra older one. In both cases show the whole distributor so we tell what brand they are.

You may have a hard time posting them here on CCF (don't worry, lots of people have that problem)

If that's the case, then e mail them to     keno439@gmail.com and I'll have my squad of "picture posters" put them here on CCF and we'll solve this mystery.

PS from the info you've given already, the starter is turning the engine in the proper direction since the rotor is going counter clockwise.
Buckyr2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buckyr2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2021 at 7:45pm
Yes i did confirm, it is left hand rotation
Buckyr2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buckyr2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2021 at 7:47pm
The starter is turning the engine clockwise and the new distributor is turning ccw but it stops and starts because of the missing splines on the cam, they both have different directions of the way the splines are facing, one is ///// and the other is \\\\\, like stated above i have no idea how they got the new one in there if the splines are backwards
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2021 at 7:52pm
You say clockwise, but what way are you looking at it?

Post a picture of the prop while you are at it
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2021 at 7:53pm
Send pictures anyways

Since you have a LH normal rotation engine your distributor gear on the newer distributor may be steel and not compatible with a camshaft that has a cast iron gear.

The end result of that is gear damage to one or both gears.

It sounds like somebody replaced or rebuilt your engine at some time over the years and it's normal rotation now.
Buckyr2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buckyr2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2021 at 8:00pm
Im looking at it from the front
Buckyr2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buckyr2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2021 at 8:09pm
Pictures should be in youe email inbox keno
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2021 at 8:09pm
Here are a couple of gears, they both are normal automotive rotation. (LH rotation in the marine world}

The rough one on the left is cast iron, the smoother finished one is steel.

Do your teeth slant in the same direction as these? 

Buckyr2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buckyr2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2021 at 8:13pm
The old distributor has a slant to the left if you’re holding the dizzy right side up and the newer distributor is slanted to the right being held in the same position, also the older gear is dull and looks like cast iron and the new one is smooth and shiny like in the picture you posted
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2021 at 8:14pm
Got pictures, will post in next 1/2 hour or so.

Your new distributor is a Chinese non marine automotive rotation unit for a normal automotive rotation engine and looks to have a steel gear that may have caused the problem.

Old one is a reverse rotation Prestolite (original to your boat)

Buckyr2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buckyr2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2021 at 8:14pm
Heres the link to the photo
https://share.icloud.com/photos/0hi-1hBfr_pE-6QkOJudcN2Bw#Madill
Buckyr2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buckyr2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2021 at 8:16pm
So would the difference in direction of the slants in the gears have anything to do with it?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2021 at 8:42pm
Here are the pictures

First one is the new and old distributors

As mentioned before it's a Chinese automotive LH rotation distributor and from here the teeth look pretty worn

Second one is his prop, which looks like a RH, reverse rotation original prop

That just leads to more questions like

Did you just buy this boat and has it ever run for you? I'm gonna guess that you bought somebody's unfinished project

The only way to make the boat go forward with that prop on it would be to have the transmission in reverse and the reverse portion of the Borg Warner transmission won't last long at all moving the boat forward.

Your 88 should have a Borg Warner transmission, could you verify that it does with the tag right near the dipstick or send another picture, this time of the transmission.

If by chance you have a PCM 40A transmission, then the boat is an 89 and that engine and prop would make sense together Wink.

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic