NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

06 SANTE - Intermittent Limp Mode

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 06 SANTE - Intermittent Limp Mode
    Posted: August-03-2021 at 2:13pm
Hey Guys,    A friend from the lake had a heater hose burst over the 4th of july weekend.   The hose was repaired, but the operator filled the engine compartment with water trying to get the boat back to the dock.   I checked the Trans fluid and V drive oils before she ran it again.   The V drive was a vanilla milkshake, so I sucked out the oil and did a change.   PCM V drive, I put in the oil recommended by PCM, but how much was needed was questionable.   I filled it to the bottom of the site hole since there was only (2) plugs for the fill, neither with a dipstick attached as shown in the manual.    

Now the boat is going into limp mode intermittently... The orange light on the gauge flashes and beeps, but not long enough to read the display code.    Can anyone point me in the right direction to start pulling the trouble code?    

HIN  indicates a 2006 boat, but the V drive appears to be the same as a 2007 model year, so maybe a late production 06?  the dealer has "maintained" this boat since new, but seems to only do what is absolutely necessary or broken during the winterization.  Preventative Maintenance doesn't look as extensive as what I would do, but its nice that he's not gouging his customers. 

James T Brockma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James T Brockma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2021 at 6:15pm
There are only two conditions that put your engine into “limp mode”. One is a overheating and the other is low oil pressure. Assuming you have determined your engine is actually not overheating and you have normal oil pressure than the problem is with either the water temperature SWITCH (not sensor) or the oil pressure SWITCH (not sensor) failing and causing a “limp mode” condition when one does not actually exist. You can disconnect each switch (one at a time) and run the boat to determine which switch is failing. Be aware that when you run the boat with one or the other switches disconnected and an actual overheating or low oil pressure condition does occurs the boat WILL NOT go into “limp mode” so keep an eye on your gauges while you are sorting out which switch is causing the issue.
Jim '06 216

'98 SN 176
Mpost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2021 at 9:49am
This is fromt he 06 PCM manual. 

84 SN Sold   98 SN    Lund Pro V   1975 Alumacraft
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2021 at 3:25pm
Thanks Guys,    I think this does help point me in the right direction.    I am not super familiar with the Check engine light system, but it appears to me that there are (2) check engine lights?  

The Large red one in between the speedometer and the perfect pass, and the orange smaller one in the left speedometer "information display window"     

The one that is going on in my case is the orange one in the display window, not the larger red one in the dash.   I am guessing they operate on different parameters, but am not sure.   Can anyone point me in the correct direction? 

James T Brockma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James T Brockma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2021 at 5:36pm
I am happy to check on my 2006 216 tomorrow to verify but for what it is worth my memory tells me your “check engine” light, located between your speedometer and PP, will light after you use your code and press the start button to put the ignition in the “ON” mode. Your gauges will activate as well. Once you start the engine the “check engine” light will turn off (assuming no overheating or low oil pressure condition). The LCD screen in the tachometer, not the speedometer, typically includes the red “warning” light for severe conditions such as but not limited to low voltage, low fuel, low oil pressure, high temperature, RPM reduction mode etc. When the red
“warning” light comes on you should look at the LCD screen and it will say which condition present. Again remember only overheating and/or low oil pressure will cause the “check engine” light to come on and limp mode activation while the engine is running. Verify your “check engine” light is operable. If you have a 2006 owner manual you can find most all of this information. If you don’t have an owners manual go on PlanetNautique.com and click on “manual/brochures” at the top of the page then scroll down to 2006. Note: I believe there is also a red indicator light somewhere on the dash (possibly next to the fuel gauge) for the V-drive but being a DD owner I am not completely sure.

Jim '06 216

'98 SN 176
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2021 at 11:07am
Jim,    Thank you for the information!   I'll navigate over to PN and check out that reference material you've indicated.  I'll also  see if I can test drive the boat in the next few days and verify that the CEL is operable at start up , and will check to see what indication is flashing on the Malfunction indicator in the display.    it was so fast when I drove it last time that I couldn't tell what indication was coming up.   Being unfamiliar with this boat didn't help either.   Now that I have some background, I'll take another look.   

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic