Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Thermostat housing

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
simontodd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simontodd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thermostat housing
    Posted: July-30-2021 at 5:09am
Hi there, Im currently in the process of restoring a 1978 Ski Nautique and have run into a few problems hopefully someone can help with.

I've got a PCM 351 engine which was originally in a 92 Nautique which is missing the thermostat housing, does anyone know where I could source this?

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2021 at 6:28am
Hi There

A link and another link, both from SkiDim  Wink

The original upper isn't available anymore and the one is the link is a "custom machined piece" with a pretty high price tag.

link

Finding used isn't too easy, but there are some around, at least in this country.
simontodd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simontodd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2021 at 6:41am
Thanks for that Keno!
Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2021 at 7:57am
I might have one off an 80 2001?
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2021 at 9:20am
You may have more than one snag if you are planning on putting the ‘92 motor in the ‘78. The 92 is more than likely a lefty and the 78 came with a right handed rotation motor.
simontodd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simontodd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2021 at 10:58am
Oh dear, I can't turn the engine over at the moment. Is there any easy way to find the rotation?
simontodd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simontodd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2021 at 11:07am
If your correct on the engine rotation what would would be the best steps to take moving forward? Is this engine unusable?
simontodd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simontodd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2021 at 11:58am
Ok so as it stands,

I have a 78 Ski Nautique which has been fitted with a 92 Nautique PCM 351 engine, the engine was bought and seen running so firing order, dissy etc hasn't been changed.  I'm missing the thermostat housing and have added raw water pump which i believe can be turned upside down if necessary.

I bought a borg-warner 1:1 which can be set to LH or RH

Am i right in thinking that if the rotation is different I should only need to change the prop to suit?
simontodd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simontodd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2021 at 11:59am
current working firing order is 1-8-4-5-6-2-7-3
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2021 at 12:58pm
Yes you can switch the BW 1:1 to run lefty and then get a lefty prop. It has been done in the past but the majority seem to say it rides  awkward turning a lefty prop.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2021 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by simontodd simontodd wrote:

current working firing order is 1-8-4-5-6-2-7-3

If your engine runs with that firing order, working your way counterclockwise around the cap, then it's a reverse rotation engine right now.

Make sure you're going counterclockwise as you check the order.

It doesn't matter which way the engine rotates, the distributor always turns counter clockwise
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2021 at 9:32pm
I think he went backwards (clockwies) This may help

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2021 at 6:29am

Oh dear, I can't turn the engine over at the moment. Is there any easy way to find the rotation?

You can take the distributor out and see which way the teeth on the gear are slanted if you want a 100% definitive no guesswork involved answer on which way it's built to rotate.

If the teeth go like this //////................it's normal rotation

If the teeth go like this \\\\\\..............it's reverse rotation.

Or for a less intrusive but still 100% definitive check, take off the distributor cap, put a 15/16 socket on the harmonic balancer bolt and turn the engine over by hand in whatever direction you want while watching the rotor turn.

If the rotor is going counterclockwise, then the direction you're turning the engine is the direction it's built to rotate.

If the rotor is going clockwise, you're turning the engine the wrong way

If the right way has it rotating toward the drivers side of the boat.........it's reverse rotation

If it rotates toward the passenger side, then it's normal rotation.

PS my slightly cockeyed, cloudy look at the wire arrangement on the cap in your picture (here and on Planet Nautique), says if I was a gamblin' man, I'd bet some of Gun Drivers money that it's a normal rotation engine and I'd have more money than I started with. I might even split the money with him Wink
simontodd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simontodd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2021 at 6:41am
Thanks for all of the info!!

Yes you are 100%, i read the firing order backwards and this is indeed an LH engine, previous was RH which corresponds to the current RH prop (i believe this syncs with the hull?)

I think I may possibly still have the old engine minus marinized parts which is RH.  If this is the case would it be possible to use parts from the old engine to convert the newer LH to RH?

or

Do I reindex the BG and change to LH prop?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2021 at 7:10am

Thanks for all of the info!!

Yes you are 100%, i read the firing order backwards and this is indeed an LH engine, previous was RH which corresponds to the current RH prop (i believe this syncs with the hull?)

I think I may possibly still have the old engine minus marinized parts which is LH.  If this is the case would it be possible to use parts from the old engine to convert the newer RH to LH?

or

Do I reindex the BG and change to LH prop?

Since you already have the normal rotation running engine (minus the thermostat housing), the easiest, cheapest route would be reindexing the transmission and getting a LH prop. Make sure your raw water pump is oriented the right way too.

The "politically correct CCF route" would be to tear apart the engine and make a reverse rotation engine out of it.

The Gods of Reverse Rotation will tell you the boat will ride leaned way over to the right with just the driver. 

Put an equal weight passenger in the boat or some movable weight under the passenger seat or a trim tab on the back and things level out a lot.

I'd probably get it running with the LH normal rotation engine, get any bugs worked out and decide after you run it for a while if you want to convert to reverse rotation 

PS I think you have RH and LH mixed up in your third sentence in the quote

simontodd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simontodd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2021 at 7:23am
Thanks very much for the advice, I've been reading up and one person said it would be poor to dangerous running standard rotation prop which was concerning.

Getting it all running first makes sense.

I ordered the upper and lower housings from skidim so hoping to have them next week.

I have been looking at props but I have not got a clue on what I'm looking for.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic