Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

90 Ski Nautique-electrical problem

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Run View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Run Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 90 Ski Nautique-electrical problem
    Posted: July-26-2021 at 5:49pm
I purchased the boat a year ago with work needed.  Upon purchase till current all 3 dash light stay on all the time (volts,temp, & oil).  Gauges are working fine and indicate good readings.  Sometimes when I turn the key nothing happens (silent not even the solenoid clicks nor any starter noise).  Both are new and all battery contact points have been cleaned.  Also key ignition switch was replaced.  I even shortened the positive battery cable which was 4 feet too long.  None of these new parts changed the symptoms.  Other times it starts right up.  It also appears the electrical issue is draining my battery.  I suspect the dash lights are connected with the intermittent starting problem.  Any suggestions?  Has anyone experienced this?  Thank you!
Run
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2021 at 8:17pm
If you still have the warning circuit still hooked up, I'd unhook that.  I'm guessing that is what is making the warning lights come on.  (it is a black box under the dash IIRC).

Your best chance at finding the fault is to get a voltmeter & tracing the circuit.  Ken O has posted a schematic in another thread recently that should apply.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2021 at 8:58pm

This would be the wiring diagram for a 90 with the original style starter courtesy of TRB Wink

One thing you haven't mentioned is the neutral safety switch. When you turn the key to Start, power goes through the Red/Yellow wire to the neutral safety switch and if it has continuity (meaning the transmission is in neutral) then power goes to the "S" terminal on the solenoid, energizing it and putting power to the starter.

if you turn the key and get absolutely nothing, just deafening silence, try jiggling the shifter a little bit and if it then turns over, you probably need just a shift cable adjustment.

Like a couple of people already mentioned , you can work your way through the wiring using the diagram and a meter.

Run View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Run Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2021 at 7:56am
THANKS!
Run
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic