Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

boat dies when put in fwd or reverse

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
koswimmer1967 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koswimmer1967 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: boat dies when put in fwd or reverse
    Posted: July-25-2021 at 7:16pm
Hello all, 

Our 1980 Ski Nautique let us down this weekend.   We are just now getting it out on the water for the first time this year.  I should start out by saying I have limited mechanical know how.  I changed the oil, replaced the fuel/water separator, replaced the impeller.  It ran like a dream in the driveway.  Idled perfect, no issues.  
We filled up 100% gas and went to Nik-a-Jak lake to get our first run in this year.  Idled fine on the trailer and I let it warm up like I always have.  I could not keep it from dying when I put it in forward or reverse.  In the past, I've had to rev it up some, push the button in and then "goose it" into gear rather than easing it into forward or reverse.  That didn't work at all.  

After clogging up the ramp and the dock for about an hour, I gave up and put it back on the trailer to go home defeated.  I've reviewed some previous threads on here that seem to discuss the same problem.  The thing of it is, like I said, I've got a limited skill set when it comes to mechanics.  I might as well own that rather than having you guys think I understand all the wisdom that is so often shared on here.  I'm grateful for that.  

I think what I'm really looking for is a good boat mechanic.  I've tried hot rod shops, the typical marina shops around here, and a few shade tree guys.  What do i need to look for in a mechanic for this boat and do any of you guys live nearby and have any recommendations.  

If you guys recommend things I should check out myself, I am thrilled to do so and learn.  I've searched YouTube and found a few videos but none that address this particular model of boat.  As always, I'm grateful for the help that is so generously shared here and if you had a lead on a good mechanic, that would be amazing.  We are in Chattanooga, Tn and I'm willing to drive a bit to get the boat running reliably.  There isn't much worse, in my opinion, than having two kids sweating to death in a hot boat while I try to stare at the motor until the gods of the water send me a sign....

Have a good one.  

k
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2021 at 9:09pm
Your poor running condition could be weak spark or dirty carb, maybe even both.

If you have a race track anywhere nearby, there could be people there that know old-school points & carbs, & might be willing to help you.

Most shops now just plug stuff in to a computer for diagnosis.

You might have damaged the raw water pump impeller when you ran it in driveway & at ramp.

I suggest changing that right away.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
koswimmer1967 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koswimmer1967 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2021 at 10:07pm
Thank you.  I'll change the impeller.  I put a new one on two weeks ago and only ran it in the driveway, with water connected, but I have an extra and will change it again.   We do have a drag strip.  Thanks for that advice.  

k
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2021 at 10:37pm
If you ran it with water connected or in the water you'll be fine. It's when you run it with no water is when you'll create cooling problems
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic