NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

oily mess

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: oily mess
    Posted: July-22-2021 at 9:22am
Naturally one week before our summer mini vacation I find this Cry  One more bolt to go- surprisingly the V drive came out easier than the trans so far

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2021 at 9:40am
Gary,
Is it the Walters with the leak? If so, make sure you get their "super special no one else has them" seals. Big smile

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2021 at 10:14am
Seems to me that if the V Drive was leaking, he wouldn't be worried about getting the transmission out Wink

And the Walters doesn't leak red stuff either
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2021 at 10:19am
I wish - the vdrive was way easier to remove than the trans. The tell tail sign is the red fluid in the bilge,only the trans uses it. The Walter's use non detergent oil.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2021 at 12:31pm
Any clue where your leak starts?  Maybe the cooler?  Good Luck
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2021 at 1:07pm
oh rat farts
I hope it works out
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2021 at 1:51pm
Thanks for the support- just got to power through it,seems like everything is breaking this year. Got it up on the bench and parts ordered- Skidim has everything in stock and is sending right out. It's a paper gasket between the front cover and the case. The pump mounts to that front "cover" - so as I understand from Zach who's walking me through this,the pump can stay in place but as I remove that front cover the drum comes out as well. So I'll get that all apart so that when the parts get here it can just go back together. Still got time- crossing my fingers. Number 18 in this picture-

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2021 at 10:52pm
Hats off to Skidim they sent out the parts yesterday UPS second day air-they arrived around 1030 this morning. Replaced the gasket,pulled the pump to replace the shaft seal and 3 o rings since it was that far apart. Did all of that in the garage while waiting for the boat to get shade, hot and humid all day. Could have got farther but when I needed that 3rd hand everyone was busy which was for the best as I could cool off. Zach warned me ahead of time but so far the hardest part was re installing that front cover,when you remove it the input shaft and the drum comes with it. When it goes back in the input shaft drops into a bearing and the drum has to align with the teeth of the clutch plates. Took several tries but finally popped right in. Now have to finish up the mounts,hoses,minor electrical and align. Should be ready to test tomorrow. Engine crane saved my back- sure has earned its keep.First I lift the trans off the bench, wheel it over to the boat then in on a 2x6 across the floor. I'm having a new pier put in,the guys doing it gave me a 5 foot section of 4" pipe that was left over. Slipped it over the engine hoist boom which than extended it enough to easily reach the center of the boat to do the heavy lifting. Since the angle is not as great as when getting it into the boat I don't have to worry about the sling slipping. Good thing I work cheap I think this would have been a expensive,long down time repair.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2021 at 11:04pm
You have nothing but time
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2021 at 11:13pm
I have to be on the road by Wednesday to make it to Bubba's for lunch on Thursday......
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2021 at 11:15pm
Good thing is you can drive your car straight to bubbas
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2021 at 11:40pm
Nice work Gary, I really like the team red colors!
Mark

PS. I have a similar hoist, I added a swivel hook to the hoist, it allows me to swivel the load smoothly 360* and made a big difference in usefulness.  I think the 2,000 lb swivel ran $50 but worth every penny.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2021 at 6:32am
Thumbs Up  Thumbs Up  

Gary,
Was the seal bad or did the shaft have any corrosion?  Ether way, great you got it. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2021 at 7:50am
Wow..... I'm impressed.... And to think you used to repair telephone land lines. You've come a long way young man. Looks like going to the gym has paid off too. Retirement is good to you Mr.Starr.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2021 at 9:39am
Pete that is what makes me nervous. There was some corrosion on the shaft which I cleaned with crocus cloth provided by IBT many years ago ;) but there was no oil in the bellhousing or anywhere on front end of the trans. Hoses and fittings were perfectly dry, cooler dry. Bottom inch of trans soaked, you could see oil in the seam. Gasket hard and brittle when removed but intact.
Tim in my young days I didn’t know what I wanted to do thought a automotive mechanic might be in the future. My dad said do you want to be standing under a car with the melting snow dripping on you when your in your 50’s?? Mom pushed me to the phone company since she had worked there many years before. Today marks 39 years that the young lady I met there have been married- she is spending the day watching her mom, I’m spending it in the boat.
Mark thanks- you great taste in colors ;) I don’t think I paid more than 150 for that HF hoist it really has come in handy, 150 does not go far at the chiropractor!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2021 at 9:57am
Gary,
We'll be crossing our fingers hoping for the best.

I just looked at the picture again and it sure doesn't look like you're down south! Did you come north to cool down? 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2021 at 10:35am
This job would be impossible down there,I had just the very minimal tool selection there or even the room to do this. Besides with that salt water this poor boat would have been a mess- fresh Fox River water only for this boat LOL
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2021 at 10:52am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Gasket hard and brittle when removed but intact.

Gary  - Do you think the gasket failure was just old age or was there another factor?
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2021 at 10:52pm
My old age or the gasket Chris LOL. I wonder if it relaxed and had it been able to be re torqued if it would have been ok?  Don't know- like I said I wish the problem jumped right out at me. Anyway just walked in about a hour ago completely done. Cleaned up the bilge earlier and test ran it on the hose going for a water test in the am. Got it aligned don't know how or even understand the whole system- why is the engine and trans rubber mounted but the v drive which is mounted to the back of the trans has it's own mounts that are rigidly attached to the "stringers" Confused I would think that would transmit noise and vibrations into the structure of the hull. Anyway got it to turn with one finger which is better than it ever was, sure is alot of stuff turning compared to a DD!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2021 at 11:56pm
Gary, a young man would have struggled to get all that done in a couple days.  You kicked some serious A**.   Nice work.   Hope the water test is equally impressive.  Your mount comments has me thinking you may have found why the gasket failed.  Paper gaskets seal pretty well but allow for zero movement.  Vibration may have took it out.  Have a cold beer or 6 and celebrate your win.

Mark
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2021 at 10:34am
Success !
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2021 at 10:40am

Success !

Clap Clap Clap

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2021 at 11:41am
Great glad you got it fixed.
 I don’t think I’d ever want an ass-pusher just because how difficult they are to get at when things go bad. Thumbs Down

PS;  Why does it take you 24 hrs to get to bubbas, your not in the Deep South anymore? LOL
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2021 at 5:09pm
WOW, 

I am impressed that you tackled that project yourself. You should be proud of yourself. Those ensure drinks must be keeping you fit. LOL !!!!

Donald 
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2021 at 7:42pm
Cousin Don, Quinner and I have a master plan to come down and have the Chicago Chapter of CCF take over your operation. As you know he's already there setting up, it won't be long now we've both been bulking up- we'll see who laughs last.....
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2021 at 9:01am

Cousin Don, Quinner and I have a master plan to come down and have the Chicago Chapter of CCF take over your operation. As you know he's already there setting up, it won't be long now we've both been bulking up- we'll see who laughs last.....

Gary, 

Yes, about two weeks ago, I spent a full day with Quinner drinking adult beverages and floating in the lake. I took my female Chocolate Lab with me and Chris had is Male Yellow Lab with him. Before arrival, I warned my female dog that both Qunnier and his male dog are very likely to try to hump you so please be on high alert.  LOL  It was hard to keep an eye on both of them at the same time, I am happy to report, no puppies were made. 

Donald 
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic