Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Impeller not working

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Jholtz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jholtz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Impeller not working
    Posted: July-17-2021 at 9:57pm
Just bought this 1995 sport natique 400 hrs everything seemed fine boat instantly over heated on the water . Pulled and fixed impeller still no water to the top of engine . Had it putting out a small amount of water under throttle is it possible the pump housing is shot? I’ve also checked and tried both directions on the housing no luck also checked for clogged lines with no luck . Any help or info would be greatly appreciated
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2021 at 10:19pm
There may be a blockage in the raw water inlet hose, the strainer and/or the transmission cooler.  Start there with your evaluations.  The raw water pump / impeller is designed to pull a vacuum to draw water from the lake, through the hose, through the strainer, past the transmission cooler and, finally, into the raw water pump.  If there is a blockage along the way, no water will make it into the engine.  Also, the hose clamps need to be tight.  Even a small air leak that allows bubbles into the system can cause overheating issues.  It doesn't take long to destroy an impeller (old or new) if no water is getting in to cool and lubricate it.

Another thing to look at is that the pump can be installed backwards.  I did this once.  No water is sucked into the pump if it is backwards.  
JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2021 at 11:21pm
Also when you mount the pump in it's bracket make sure this screw head faces the engine block. If you have had the body apart to check the impeller make sure the paper gasket and o ring are in good shape and in their proper places 

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Jholtz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jholtz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2021 at 11:48pm
Thanks you I was able to blow through both ways didn’t seem to be blocked although the strainer had a small crack I did notice bypassed with solid coupling still would not pump .
Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2021 at 7:21am
Did you install a PCM brand impeller? There are a lot of cheap off brand impellers out there . If its not genuine PMC brand then start there.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2021 at 7:27am
Originally posted by Nautiquehunter Nautiquehunter wrote:

Did you install a PCM brand impeller? There are a lot of cheap off brand impellers out there . If its not genuine PMC brand then start there.

Justin,
The PCM impeller is a rebranded Sherwood. Go with the OEM Sherwood if you can to avoid the possible PCM inflated cost. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Jholtz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jholtz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2021 at 12:24pm
That is what I installed said Sherwood in the rubber next to keyway
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2021 at 12:58pm
I have seen a few instances lately on the internet of Sherwood impellers spinning the brass hub inside the rubber fins. Happened to me and overheated my boat this week - one year old Sherwood impeller. Maybe there are some fakes going around or they might have a bad batch. Either way a close look at the impeller is warranted.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2021 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by Jholtz Jholtz wrote:

That is what I installed said Sherwood in the rubber next to keyway

Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Maybe there are some fakes going around .

Justin,
Were did you get the impeller? Did it come in the original Sherwood packaging?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
dmc346 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmc346 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2021 at 7:35pm
I also just hd the center of the impeller separate from the rubber fins on a 1 year old Sherwood impeller. The over heat light on the dash never came on, any idea how to check the light?

dmc346
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2021 at 8:57pm

This is for DMC 346, not JHoltz

I glanced at my magic search ball and it says that you have a 94 sport that got the PCM distributor conversion and the new engine wiring harness also, many years ago

Your dash light should light up every time you turn the key to the Run position before going to the Start position because you have low oil pressure since the engine isn't running yet. After it starts and oil pressure goes above about 5 psi the light goes out and will then come on if your pressure drops to about 5 psi or water temp gets to about 205 to 210 degrees while running.

With the new harness installation, you may have done away with the wiring for the oil pressure switch and coolant temp switch. You still have indication from the oil pressure sending unit and the temperature sending unit though. 

Those "assembled in US" Sherwood impellers just ain't what they used to be I guess Wink
Jholtz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jholtz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2021 at 10:47pm
I think I may have found the problem looking at the exploded view of the Sherwood pump. The previous owner must of lost the restricter plate /spacer and re assembled so that is what I assumed was right from the get go. Would this be the reason for the pump not building pressure? I’m assuming so
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2021 at 11:11pm
You mean this part # 25150  wear/end plate?  If so yes that would be a problem,matter of fact any parts left off could be the trouble.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Jholtz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jholtz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2021 at 11:46pm
Thank you might get on the water by this weekend after all
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2021 at 9:08am
I’ve also had a hub break loose from the veins, but it was a dry start so I’m blaming myself not the impeller.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2021 at 9:59am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

I’ve also had a hub break loose from the veins, but it was a dry start so I’m blaming myself not the impeller.

20 mins before this happened I took the boat to 4 runs where I held 5880 rpm for a couple seconds for data gathering purposes - but do I accept responsibility for my a””actions- absolutely not the previous impeller took worse abuse for 11 years.

1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2021 at 11:51am
5880! Weee!
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
dmc346 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmc346 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2021 at 12:02pm
Damn Keno, right on the money with the conversion, so is it my fault during the conversion not hooking something up or does the new harness not provide for the light?
Thanks
dmc346
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2021 at 5:17pm

the previous impeller took worse abuse for 11 years.

It's sure nice to hear that others have common sence with the life of a RWP impeller. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2021 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by dmc346 dmc346 wrote:

Damn Keno, right on the money with the conversion, so is it my fault during the conversion not hooking something up or does the new harness not provide for the light?
Thanks

DMC

I'll answer the first part and you'll then know the answer to the second part of your question Wink

It wasn't your fault
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2021 at 7:14am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

the previous impeller took worse abuse for 11 years.

It's sure nice to hear that others have common sence with the life of a RWP impeller. 

Most people who want to talk about their common sense would at least know how to spell the word Wink

Let's hear Pete's version of common sense when it comes to impellers, inform all those people who have or use no  common sense in your opinion  

Enlighten the world Pete
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic