Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1990 Sport Nautique Good Starter Boat?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
ddvenne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddvenne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1990 Sport Nautique Good Starter Boat?
    Posted: July-08-2021 at 7:39pm
Hi everyone-

I am hoping to receive some advice. I have a younger family (8,7, & 4 year old) and we are interested in purchasing a boat for water sports and possibly a little fishing that doesn't break the bank. I have always loved the look of correct craft boats and am interested in purchasing a 1990 sport nautique.

My questions are...

Would a sport nautique be a reliable boat to take the family out for some skiing/tubing/wakeboarding? Or would you suggest I look into something else?

The sport nautique that I am looking at seems to be in really nice shape according to the photos. The engine was rebuilt and currently has a 1,000 hours on it since the rebuild. The boat has a Ford V8 351 cc marine engine with the PCM (Performance Craft Marine) marinization kit and a 4 blade stainless steel propeller. He is asking $8900....I am just worried about the number of hours on the engine...Is 1,000 a lot??

He also mentioned that his stringers are fiberglass and would not need replacing. I was under the impression that ski nautiques didn't use fiberglass until 1993 and newer...is it possible for a 1990 to have fiberglass stringers? The seller did mention that the only known issue with the boat is that it has issues with hot restarts....I am not sure what that would entail to fix or if it isn't even worth worrying about it.

I really like the look and quality of ski nautiques, but am just wondering if purchasing a boat this old and with that many hours is a mistake for a brand new boater. I posted two photos of the boat below....

Thanks!!!

-Dave

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2021 at 8:01pm
Is it reliable.  Well, any boat can have issues, but as far as a starting point, yes, it could/should be reliable.  The 351s (P=Pleasurecraft, not Performance) are pretty much bullet proof if cared for.  You normally dont hear about 1000 hours on a rebuild, you usually hear about 1000+ hours on a first engine.  If yours is truly a 1000 hour boat and a rebuild, it should have a lot of life left in it.  The boat was built with wood stringers.  If he is claiming "fiberglass" (unusual for a rebuild) I would want proof of the rebuild, receipts, photos... If he says it came with them, he is blowing smoke up your butt.  The sport is a good family boat, will do all things well, should be reliable, price is not bad considering today's market if the condition is what you say it is.

Mpost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2021 at 7:58am
does anyone run stainless props on their Nautiques???
This would be a great boat for the family, but not so good for fishing. 
84 SN Sold   98 SN    Lund Pro V   1975 Alumacraft
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2021 at 8:32am
I have a stainless 4 blade OJ from 20 years ago.  Just reinstalled it on my buddy's 89 last week because his original was beyond repair.  Not the best but moves the boat.  Looks super cool though!
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2021 at 9:01am
First, a 1990 Sport will still be wood stringers. As already mentioned, I’d want the original documents relating to the rebuild before I even considered looking at it. After that, it’s a great family boat! The Sport was my first Nautique.
pjsmoreno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjsmoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2021 at 9:33am

Thousand hours on an engine to me is like 60,000 miles on a new car. Still plenty of life left.  

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2021 at 10:07am
Originally posted by pjsmoreno pjsmoreno wrote:

Thousand hours on an engine to me is like 60,000 miles on a new car. Still plenty of life left.  

No doubt about that, especially if properly maintained.

I'm curious...is this a southern boat, or one in a climate where used year-round, or possibly a 'camp-boat'? My thoughts are if the engine went to overhaul on a normal schedule, and now has another 1000 hours on it post-overhaul, this boat could have a ton of hours on it. Not always a bad thing, but something to keep in mind is ski boats are wet ALL THE TIME, and this boat potentially has been in the water a LOT. Any compromise at all in the floor during the past 30 plus years, means it is wet under the floor. 

With that said, you can get some reasonable access for inspection by removing the rear bench and access floor aft of the engine, as well as inspecting from the engine box.

Where is the boat located? Chances are, someone on here is close enough to go check it out with you.

ddvenne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddvenne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2021 at 11:42am
Thanks so much everyone for your words of wisdom and help.  This community is amazing.

Ultrarunner, I am located in Wisconsin and the boat is in the Madison area.  In this climate, we get about 4-5 months of the year where one would actually use a boat.  The owner says that the boat is garage stored during the winter...

After I asked the seller again he did say that the boat has wood stringers, but he sounds like they are fine.  If anyone is interested and in the Wisconsin area, I would be happy to go see the boat with them...otherwise, I feel like I am too much of a boat newbie to really know what I should be on the lookout for and am a little too scared to purchase the boat.

Here is the link to the craiglist post if you want to check it out and encourage me to pursue this boat....

There is another sport nautique that is a 1997 (so fiberglass stringers), one owner, 650 hours with a 310 hp EFI engine...he is asking 20,000 though.  Is that a reasonable price for a boat that is only 7 years newer?

Thanks again for all your help!

Dave

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2021 at 11:59am
Hey Dave, you'll definitely get someone local if you want to look at the boat, I'd imagine. And there are folks on here that can and will give you a detailed list of how to inspect a boat with wood stringers. 

IMO, the '97 might be a better option. 20k is likely the top-end in $$ for that boat in this market, if in excellent shape...interior, good maintenance, maybe a couple options like PerfectPass and a heater, along with a well maintained trailer. The GT40, while getting old and not without issues, is an excellent option, and many of us on here are using that motor, including myself. You'll get some more options shortly Wink

Ultra
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2021 at 12:07pm
That one has the extra covid tax on it,it is after all a quarter of a century old boat. I paid that for a v drive boat that was 18 at the time with a brand new tandem trailer. One of the big concerns on any of these is the interior look for hard vinyl separating seams etc. Interior work is expensive. Boats get cheaper as the season wears on covid value tax won't last forever
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
ddvenne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddvenne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2021 at 12:16pm
Thanks Gary for the wisdom...When I NADA the 97 sport nautique, it says it should be closer to 15 and not 20.  Is NADA a good guide for knowing if a price is way off base?
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2021 at 12:34pm
NADA is not a good guide for boat. JMO. 
I love my 2002 Sport Nautique.  They are a great family boat. However, no good at all for fishing. 
1000 hours on a motor would not scare me. 2000 hours would concern me that an overhaul could be on the horizon. We have seen bottom end on these motors go 3000 hours. 

The stainless steel prop is likely not the best option for that boat. A new prop is about $450 via Delta Props a site sponsor. 

Correct Craft started Composite Stringers in 93. Prior to that it was Douglas fur wood covered in fiberglass with polyester ( Not Epoxy) resin. Moisture over time penetrates the glass due to the foam giving the water no where too go.  So boat like the V Drive Excel / Barefooter still had wooden stringers in 93 not all had seen the change over. 

COVID has made boats, RV's and Bicycles very expensive right now.   New and Used cars and truck have the same problem too right now.

It all comes down to condition. Not even location, but condition. I traveled 10 hours to pick up my boat. 

1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
ddvenne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddvenne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2021 at 12:37pm
Thanks Donald for the insight.  There is a 2000 nautique air for sale that is 20K as well.  Do you think that is a good price?

I also wonder if I would just be better off waiting this season out and crossing my fingers that prices go back to normal next season...
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2021 at 1:04pm
New can sometimes be better. CorrectCraft changed things up in the Sport beginning in '99, with some other changes in 2000. Those changes are a rounded-back rear end, with a large storage locker behind the rear bench, a "traditional" walk-through to the bow with seating, and less than desirable electronic keypads and gauges. Key pads are available and some folks have converted back to traditional gauges. If I go back to a Sport, I'll do a '99 or later. 

Again, pricing is contingent on condition, as we're still talking a boat over 20 years old....

Ultra.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2021 at 2:43pm
Don't give up looking though,prices traditionally come down as the season gets late and go back up in the spring. It seems they don't want to store them for another year so they price them to sell but if they still have them as the season starts they ask more.  Covid has screwed this all up. The added benefit of looking is that you will see and learn more. 93 and newer no wood,95 and later most have fuel injection 
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
RealDeez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RealDeez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2021 at 5:32pm
I have a 93 sport with about 1500 hours on the original hardware (minus the protec). Still pulls hard out of the hole and gets 46mph wide open with me and three kids in it... it has a carburetor and the protec was replaced with mechanical distribution which may not start as nice cold as fuel injection but works perfectly when warmed up. Some might say the carb models are easier to maintain and troubleshoot... depends on your perspective.

My cousins have a 90 sport with less hours on it but it also runs great and has the original stringers.

I guess what I'm saying is if you can verify the stringers are good, there's no reason to believe a well kept and protected (from excess water) 90 sport won't last and be reliable. If you can find a composite hull at a reasonable price it might be good for peace of mind long term... but good luck finding one at a reasonable price these days.
Lake James, IN
93 Sport Nautique
ddvenne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddvenne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2021 at 6:04pm
Thanks Real for the input....It is good to hear that your boat is running so well.  Just out of curiosity, what would you say would be a good price for a 1993+ sport nautique that was in reasonable condition?  I just feel like I have no clue what is a fair price and when I should be pulling the trigger.  I have literally only shopped for boats during the pandemic...so I am pretty lost here.
RealDeez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RealDeez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2021 at 6:24pm
In 2019 we paid $10k for the 93 with an original trailer... which sounds like a steal now. The trailer needed work but we weren't going far. The interior was in good shape. Speedos didn't work. Had to replace some of the other gauges because the plastic fatigued and they fell out of the holes.

Did replace the fuel pump which finally failed last year and just did exhaust hoses because they started leaking.

So some age related wear and tear but the big ticket items are still very solid.
Lake James, IN
93 Sport Nautique
ddvenne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddvenne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2021 at 6:31pm
Wow!  Yes that sounds like a steal now...how many hours were on your boat when you purchased it?
RealDeez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RealDeez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2021 at 6:36pm
1450 and change.
Lake James, IN
93 Sport Nautique
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2021 at 8:17am
Originally posted by ddvenne ddvenne wrote:

Thanks Donald for the insight.  There is a 2000 nautique air for sale that is 20K as well.  Do you think that is a good price?

I also wonder if I would just be better off waiting this season out and crossing my fingers that prices go back to normal next season...

Still seems high but all depends on condition. These came in two flavors. The Sport version had no blast or tanks for water.  You get a much larger rear trunk and a floor locker for skis that is really nice.  you can store skis right beside the drivers seat. 

The Air version were some of the first wake board boats so the on board water and tank system leaves a lot to be desired.  The tank in the trunk takes up valuable trunk space and is really not enough water weight to make a big different with a big wake.  The water pumping in and out valves were not great.  Many folks have removed the tanks and gone in with nothing or a more modern system.  There might be a tank in that floor locker too. I can't remember right now. 

If I found a Air in great condition, I would not let it stop me from buying it, but a 2000 and newer sport will give you more room. 

JMO, 
Donald 
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
waterskinut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waterskinut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2021 at 5:40pm
I purchased a 99 Sport in April and I searched for 4 plus months to find one that I wanted with a reasonable price. It has a GT 40 with 500 hours and a 2004 Trailer that was in good condition.  All the seat bottoms needed to be recovered as well as the rear trunk lid.  I was able to find a local shop to me that completed that work for $1200.  I also found a used tower for it that I paid $1000 for and so now I have the boat set up the way I want.  I paid $12000 for the boat and based on the current market feel like I got a great deal.  I had to drive 11 hours one way to get it but it was worth it as the boat was in great shape except for the seat bottoms.

I purposely looked for a 99 for a couple of reasons.  It has the same hull and top deck as the 2000 and newer version but it still has the analog gauges and starts with a key not a keypad.  The 2000 added the tech items (digital gauges and touch pads for starting as well as turning on and off the accessories) that fail and are more expensive to maintain. 

If you are looking for a family boat to keep for a long time that will be easier and cheaper to maintain then I would look for a 97 to 99 Sport Nautique.  If you can wait it out for this summer you will likely be able to find a better deal over the winter as prices decrease and Covid pricing readjusts back to more normal levels.  I know that right now I could not replace my boat for what I have in it and I just purchased it 3 months ago.

Paul
Current Boat-99 Sport Nautique
Previous Boats-1996 Tige FLSM, 1992 Sanger Barefoot
ddvenne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddvenne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2021 at 6:49pm
Wow Waterskinut!  I absolutely love your boat! The blue color and wakeboard tower are so sweet...I would love to find a boat like that.  I agree with you that I need to be patient and I will say that one silver lining to doing all this searching is that I am finding out what type of boat I want.  Through my research I have found I don't want anything older than a 93 (avoiding wood stringers) and ideally I would like something newer than a 95 so that the engine is fuel injected. I appreciate and agree with your advice about 2000 and newer....

I appreciate you sharing the costs for your boat.  It definitely helps put into perspective what is a fair price to pay...

Has your new boat been everything you had hoped for?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2021 at 8:06pm
Keep in mind on your search that year does not automatically mean fuel injected. Carb'ed engines are out there- fuel injected was just on the upgraded engines,usually the GT 40 Ford. Chevy's were available as well but for additional cost.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
ddvenne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddvenne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2021 at 8:08pm
Thanks Gary! I did not know that. I appreciate you sharing that info.
waterskinut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waterskinut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2021 at 11:46am
Yes, it was exactly what I wanted and expected.  Be patient and keep looking that the right boat will come along for the right price.  I have been around boats my entire life and Correct Crafts since I was a teenager working at a summer camp on the ski staff (we had a 86 Ski Nautique 2001).  They are awesome boats and will last you a lifetime.
Paul
Current Boat-99 Sport Nautique
Previous Boats-1996 Tige FLSM, 1992 Sanger Barefoot
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2021 at 9:53pm
Another 97 just showed up on facebook for 18. Interesting color combo
https://www.facebook.com/groups/longlakesaxeville/posts/10159345110744518/
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
ddvenne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddvenne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2021 at 10:28pm
Would you recommend I pursue that one Gary? Thanks for sharing by the way!!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2021 at 11:11pm
I don't know just by looking at the few pictures they posted. Interior does not look bad- drivers seat bottom looks like the stitching is letting go,but the rest looks decent. Are you close to it? Looking for something to do? Might be worth a look,but seems a little high priced yet,don't know your budget. You need to have some money left for unexpected expenses it is after all a 24 year old boat. Does say one owner though. When you do go to look at any of them make sure to check the prop for dings,rudder and strut to see if they are bent etc.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2021 at 11:38pm
I don't want to tell anyone how to spend their money but I wouldn't even think about buying a boat right now with these inflated prices.
I sold my pristine '95 Signature Edition with around 600 hrs in 2018 and had a hard time getting $12,500 for it.
 It then took me about a year and a lot of dissappointments till I found the 2000 Sport I have now. Moral to this story is take your time the prices will come back down to earth and the right boat will show up.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic