Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1990 Sport Nautique Good Starter Boat?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
ddvenne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddvenne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2021 at 11:23am
Thanks Gary and Gun Driver for the feedback.  I am so lost with prices because I have only boat shopped in a post pandemic world.  I am definitely trying to be patient and watch for the right boat.  I have no interest in WAY overpaying for something...but, I also don't want to miss a diamond in the ruff :)  Gun driver - I totally get what you are saying with the disappointment piece...there have been a few boats that I thought I was close to having and it didn't pan out.

Gary - You mentioned the seem splitting on the drivers seat in the boat that was posted.  Do you know if that is  something that can be fixed with glue or stitches?  Or does the whole seat need to be replaced with a new material?
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2021 at 11:44am
Hey Dave, check out the 93 which was just posted to the interesting craigslist thread. That is a great price on an all composite Sport, given prices today! Super clean looking boat.
ddvenne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddvenne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2021 at 1:17pm
Thanks ultra that is a nice looking boat!! I was kind of watching for a fuel injected boat. I know nothing about engines, but would you say having a fuel injected vs carb engine a big deal? Is there a way to tell what type an engine it is by just looking at a picture?
RealDeez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RealDeez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2021 at 1:28pm
That one has a carburetor if I'm seeing it right and looks like it still has the protec ignition... which will need to be replaced at some point assuming it still works now.

That's almost identical to mine but my protec has already been converted.

Some may try to tell you purple isn't a suitable color for a boat but they're just insecure.
Lake James, IN
93 Sport Nautique
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2021 at 1:32pm
That seat bottom comes off Dave. There is a company advertised on here that makes new ones or you could have a local company make one. IMOH your looking at $300
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
ddvenne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddvenne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2021 at 1:48pm
Thanks Gary that is excellent to know and gives me an idea of what it may cost total to get the boat where I would like it.

I also would like a wakeboard tower + speakers on the tower. Is that about $2000 to add (ball park?)
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2021 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by ddvenne ddvenne wrote:

Thanks ultra that is a nice looking boat!! I was kind of watching for a fuel injected boat. I know nothing about engines, but would you say having a fuel injected vs carb engine a big deal? Is there a way to tell what type an engine it is by just looking at a picture?

FI is good/reliable and there is a conversion kit for the protec that is on it now. I’d do that conversion.

That specific motor is the FORD 351 PCM.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2021 at 8:26pm
Another one just showed up- this one is a Pro Tec throttle body. 

You asked about the engines - this is a multi port fuel injected GT 40

This is a throttle body Pro Tec,carburetor version looks much the same 

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
ddvenne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddvenne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2021 at 10:48am
Gary - 

What specifically are you looking at in the second picture that tells you the engine is a carburetor version?

Also, is there really a big difference between fuel injected vs carburetor?  Is one version or the other something I should avoid as a buyer?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2021 at 10:42pm
Dave the big tip off is in the first picture- the big aluminium intake plenum. Obviously not on a carb or throttle body engine it is what sets off a multi port fuel injected Ford. The bottom engine picture is a ProTec but I'm not familiar enough to tell if it's a carb version or a throttle body. Easy way to tell a protec is that the "distributor" has no sparkplug wires coming out of it- they come out of coil packs mounted on the back of the engine opposite of where the "distributor" is. They also come in carburetor versions or throttle body versions.  Pro Tec either works or it doesn't. There no replacement parts available,but you can convert it to a modern HEI distributor or to a marine carb if the throttle body injectors quit. These models I believe have listed maximum hp of 285.
The top picture is a GT 40 multi port injection Pleasure Craft Marine Ford and used in Correct Crafts from 1995 to 2002. It used some parts off fuel injected 5.0 and 5.8 engines used in Mustangs and Lighting trucks,therefore parts and knowledge are more readily available. A stumbling block in the past has been the engine's computer but a fix for that has now been found and proven several years ago. There are also some PCM (Pleasure Craft Marine) parts that are no longer available for any of their engines but truefully rarely go bad,but if they do can turn up used if you have enough time. These engines are rated at 310 hp.
Either will get the job done but boat condition is more important than engine equipment but personally I love the GT40. I last used mine October of 19. This spring I drained what gas was left in it,put in fresh,and ran the pumps to prime the system since it sat so long. It started up like I ran it yesterday. Good luck on your search and don't get discouraged,I'm sure priced have peaked they just don't realize it yet. Prices normally start going down as people look at off season storage and obviously rise in the spring.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2021 at 4:08am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

These engines are rated at 310 hp.
Either will get the job done but boat condition is more important than engine equipment but personally I love the GT40. 
Looks like we converted him Big smile   Now if we can just get him to quit wearing dresses LOL

From a post back in 2012 

Gary S View Drop Down

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Originally posted by cgofort cgofort wrote:
I couldn't figure it out, and was done throwing parts at it. I sent the boat over to local marine shop. After 2 weeks, they believe it is related to the computer. Will see.

You gave up but since you were paying your mechanic thought he could throw just as well as you . I would be embarassed to charge someone to learn on their boat.I guess I'll just keep my carbed old beater.Glad you got it back,but if you can't do it yourself you'd better find another mechanic before you need one again 
ddvenne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddvenne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2021 at 3:07pm
Thanks Gary for taking the time to explain all of that to me.  Definitely helps!!!
waterskinut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waterskinut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2021 at 11:19am
If you are still looking here is one that has shown up on Craigslist.

https://glensfalls.craigslist.org/boa/d/schroon-lake-sport-nautique/7356525110.html

Paul
Current Boat-99 Sport Nautique
Previous Boats-1996 Tige FLSM, 1992 Sanger Barefoot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waterskinut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2021 at 11:22am
Here is another one, looks like it could use a little love 

https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/boa/d/allenton-1999-air-nautique/7358056561.html

Paul

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waterskinut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2021 at 11:56am
And another.

https://springfieldil.craigslist.org/boa/d/springfield-1995-sport-nautique/7354119064.html
Paul

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waterskinut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2021 at 11:59am
Another

https://akroncanton.craigslist.org/boa/d/canton-1997-sport-nautique/7355334118.html
Paul

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waterskinut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2021 at 12:05pm
One last one.

https://dothan.craigslist.org/boa/d/elba-elba/7340976870.html

It appears that things might be slowing down a little and pricing may be flattening out on some of these older boats.  I could not find this many for sale a month ago and some of these have been for sale for awhile.
Paul
ddvenne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddvenne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2021 at 2:46pm
Thanks Paul for sharing all these....I agree that the market may be slowing a bit...especially in WI (School is starting soon and the weather just isn't as hot as we move into August and September).  

Oddly enough, the one linked below is someone who is trying to "flip" a boat.  I tried to purchase that one when the original seller had it listed for 13,500...sadly it sold before I could even look at it.  Now it is back on the market...it started at 18,500, but has since been dropped to 17,500.  In the condition it is in, I think it is pretty overpriced still.

https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/boa/d/allenton-1999-air-nautique/7358056561.html 

Of all the boats you shared with me, which one looks the best in your opinion to pursue?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2021 at 2:52pm
Just add to the thread, the sport which is advertised in Milwaukee I don't believe is a 99 model year as it still has the playpen.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2021 at 2:54pm
I believe the sport which is advertised in Milwaukee is a 98 or maybe a year earlier as it still has the playpen but does have the bubble back.
ddvenne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddvenne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2021 at 3:02pm
Interesting....

I am not really interest in that boat because the guy just bought it to sell it and make some quick money.  I would love to find someone who is selling a Nautique because their kids have grown up and the boat was well cared for all those years it was used...maybe I am too picky, but I just don't want to end up in a lemon.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic