NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Trailer HUB FAILURE!

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
Author
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trailer HUB FAILURE!
    Posted: July-03-2021 at 9:42pm
We’re halfway between Warrenton and Winchester, VA enroute home. Someone flagged me so we pulled over. Hub had failed, outer bearing gone. Was just able to pull into a parking spot just off 17 before the wheel came off. Must have had a brake dragging. Hard to say at this point. BoatUS locating a tow service. Clearly headed home without the boat:-(
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2021 at 12:46am
Sorry to hear your news, makes for a long day.  Someone just last week posted they always travel with a set of wheel bearings, I guess I should put a set in my tow rig but I guess that means you would need a washer, nut , cotter pin,, grease and maybe a seal also.  Might save being stranded some day.  On the road these parts can be unobtainable.

Some kids were gathering to party where we park our trailer and car for multiple day ski trips.  Two trailers we know of lost a wheel driving home.  We think the kids got bored and loosened lug nuts.  Now we check lug nuts before driving home.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2021 at 8:22am
Hubs all serviced before my trip. Glad it happened on the way home. We’ll leave it and hopefully to a shop today and get fixed next week. A complete spare hub all built up along with an axle only way to defend it with spares.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2021 at 9:45am
Before your next excursion get yourself a temp gun- you will know within 10-20 miles if your getting the bearings too hot. HF ones work fine and are not very expensive.
I had a similar but not so a disastrous trip this spring. After 30 miles I looked out the mirror and saw smoke. Checked temps that one was at 195 the other 3 were less than 100. I was a block away from Harbor Freight so I pulled into their lot and pulled the hub. I always carry bearings and seals with that trailer and the Mustangs trailer. The Nautiques trailer with the Vaults I have not bothered but now thinking I should. Wasted 2 hours taking it apart and putting it back together finding nothing, but better doing it in HF's lot than on the Tamiami trail in the middle of nowhere. Backed off on the brake adjustment just in case it was dragging.  Within 20 miles temps still the same,deciding to press on since temps were not rising. After another 50, temps still up so I pumped some extra grease in and continued. After another 200 miles the temp had gone down to what the others were. Have no idea what the initial problem was but the smoke I had saw drawing my attention was from the Fluid Film I had coated the drums with to keep them from rusting as it sat in the carport all summer long!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2021 at 9:49am
The older CC trailers have different harder to find bearing size compared to more modern. So I bought 2 sets and carry one
The grease, nut, cotter are easy to get at Orielly
Do not forget to carry a large socket to tap in race
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2021 at 10:41am
Note to self:  Buy an extra set of bearings/races for trailer.  Get spare cotter pins.  Buy spare small grease gun and cartridges.  Buy cheap H.F. socket for race installation.  Put in toolbox for boat trips...

JQ
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow (for sale)
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow (sold)
Aqua skiing, ergo sum
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2021 at 12:37pm
I used to adjust the trailer brakes the same as drum brakes on a car, yep I’m old enough to have owned cars and trucks with drum brakes.  I found boat trailer brakes had to run adjusted much looser than car brakes.  Now I adjust them so they are close to the drum but the wheel still spins free with zero brake drag.  Last I apply a little pressure on the brake actuator so the brakes barely start to apply/drag and check both brakes to see if theyhave equal drag at that point, if one is tighter I’ll loosen it to match the other.  Takes a little time but it works and the hubs don’t get hot and both brakes apply equally.
Now to remind myself to get those spare parts.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2021 at 12:42pm
Get a set of hub grease caps too- your bearing buddy is not going to fall off in an area close to a NAPA either, I loose one every big trip,does not matter what hub,what wheel/tire combo which trailer. I also carry a rubber hammer for those
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2021 at 1:11pm
I've always tried to understand why trailers have so many problems with wheel bearings. I can understand the smaller tired trailers where the RPM's are higher at the bearings but our trailers with 14" and 15" wheels seem to have issues too. You hardly ever see a car or truck on the side of the road without a wheel but I've seen plenty of trailers sitting there without a wheel. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2021 at 1:34pm
I know what your saying- I personally very rarely submerge my car wheels Wink  I have only changed two front wheel bearings one was only to prove a point to a transmission mechanic who said it was a problem rather than admit they made a mistake. The other was a 4wd hub assembly on a Jeep
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2021 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

I know what your saying- I personally very rarely submerge my car wheels Wink 

Gary,
It's not only boat trailers I'm thinking of. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2021 at 5:04pm
Ok, so, feet-dry back in SW CT. VA state police keeping an eye on the boat. Clearly, BOAT US 24 hr roadside has fine print.

With that said, I have two options.

Make calls tomorrow, or more likely Tuesday when things are open and have it hauled someplace locally for a repair, OR, find someone that can load it and haul it home for a repair.

I’m leaning to the former.

As far as repairs, conventional wisdom would dictate drums, hubs/bearings, brakes and axles on both sides....trailer is a Prestige that came with the boat in 1996.

I trailer a LOT. I’m not opposed to getting a new trailer as well....
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2021 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

I know what your saying- I personally very rarely submerge my car wheels Wink 

Gary,
It's not only boat trailers I'm thinking of. 

Maybe it's because nobody is sitting in those trailers to feel the bearing going to hell, things shaking all over the place and telling the driver to pull over
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2021 at 6:45pm
We dip our trailers in water many times each summer and then park them all winter, any water inside will start rusting parts.   If we went though the bearings every fall and parked the boat on clean dry grease every winter there would be no bearing failures but who does that?  I do inspect mine every single year and fix as necessary each spring when motivated to use the boat again.

I have lost bearing buddies in the past, the last 10+ years I started wiping a thin film of silicone around the bearing buddy surface that taps into the hub.  Have not lost one since.  Trailered one last year 500 miles over very tough roads just after service and they all stayed put.   Finished install at 9 pm and departed at 5 am with no issues.

Ultra runner I would borrow or rent a car trailer with a winch and go get your boat.  Who knows what will be stolen if it sits.  Take something to put the bad axle on while you drag it on the trailer.  Floor jack or dolly wheels would do.
I have a car trailer with a 16’ bed, it would be no trouble to load a trailer and boat and mine only has a hand winch.
I hauled my son’s Ford Excursion Diesel onto the trailer when it died, those are 7,500 pounds and we pulled it with the hand winch.
Your boat would be easy.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2021 at 7:14pm
Thanks McD, I learned this evening my neighbor has a brother local to where my boat is and he’s a boater and knows a trailer guy. So likely it’ll get towed tomorrow. Couldn’t have happen at a worse time for me as I start a 7-day trip on Tuesday. But my rig should be in good hands until I can get down and grab it.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2021 at 6:15am
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

I have a car trailer with a 16’ bed, it would be no trouble to load a trailer and boat and mine only has a hand winch.
I hauled my son’s Ford Excursion Diesel onto the trailer when it died, those are 7,500 pounds and we pulled it with the hand winch.
Your boat would be easy.

I think his boat trailer is a little too wide to just easily winch up on a car trailer that typically has a bed about 7 feet wide, unless you find a really W-I-D-E bed trailer Wink
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2021 at 8:04am
Yeah, I’m 8 feet tire edge to tire edge.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2021 at 9:03am
So, at this point, I'm inclined to get it home like McD suggested. I've got it out on U-ship. No way I can get out of my trip this week, or I'd go grab it. If anyone knows of someone local to that area with a trailer that will haul it, shoot me a note. Boat is in a parking lot off Rt. 17, just outside Warrenton, VA. Thanks.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2021 at 9:07am
I think with most of us who trailer its not a matter of if it happens but WHEN! Exact same thing happened to me towing Kermit to Badin Lake mini a few years ago. Heading up I-85 in Greenville SC guy pulls up next to me tells me trailer is smoking. Pull into some discount clothing warehouse store off to the side of the building and start investigating. Not Good.. Owner sees me on Security Cam and walks out to check to see what's going on. Sees the mess and offers to help. Drove me to local Northern Tool where I got a hub, and tools to cut the race that got "welded" to the axle. Got all cleaned up put a new hub on his carriage and off I went. There are still great people n this world. Didn't know him from Adam but he helped me to No end. I always trailered with a trailer roadside repair kit but obviously wasnt prepared for this scenario. I've helped a few CCFans with trailer problems a couple times. Hopefully all will work out for you. Those of you that read this post. Learn from it. Be prepared and take a trailer hub with you and the tools to fix if you're stranded.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2021 at 9:54am
When this happens the bearing welds itself to the axle.  You guys putting together a kit should include a puller.  When it happened to me I had spare bearings etc.. but no puller.  I ended up using a small car jack to put pressure between the bearing and the back plate and kept hitting the bearing with a hammer until it came off.  I got lucky and was back on the road a few hours later.  Nothing like watching your trailer wheel pass you up and head off into the desert!
92 SN - Owned since 93
99 Pro Air
89 SN - Went to live on a lake in Texas
75 Donzi 16 - Sold in 93
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2021 at 10:18am

Hire one of these instead of Billy Joe Jim Bob and his second cousin putting a boat on a trailer on top of another trailer. What could possibly go wrong with that setup?

Plenty of these roll back car carriers are wide and long enough to handle your load safely and get it back home to CT or to someplace down there to repair it.

And they're insured for what they do Wink

And maybe your insurance covers the ride to wherever

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2021 at 11:13am
Yep, been on the phone trying to locate one.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2021 at 12:48pm
In your case one wheel is gone, that side would be supported on a dolly or floor jack.  Assuming single axle trailer?   A slide bed is best of course but it sounds like he has to go some distance to pick it up.  
My Nautique is parked right next to my car trailer so I did think before commenting.
If the trailer is a double axle you can strap the dead axle up and run home on three tires.
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2021 at 12:50pm
Seems like I remember Tim B. Using a U-Haul Car Trailer to move a Tique while still on a trailer.  I do realize the Tique is likely a smaller boat than yours. You may want to check the dimension of a U Haul car hauler. Get a Come A long Jack to pull it on the trailer. 
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2021 at 1:00pm
Feel bad for ya ultra, like losing your wallet feeling
Gonna be a run on pullers, mini grease guns, at harbor freight tomorrow
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2021 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by Donald80SN Donald80SN wrote:

Seems like I remember Tim B. Using a U-Haul Car Trailer to move a Tique while still on a trailer.  I do realize the Tique is likely a smaller boat than yours. You may want to check the dimension of a U Haul car hauler. Get a Come A long Jack to pull it on the trailer. 

That would be Timmy Benjamin Billy Bob and here are a couple of his adventures bringing a project home, not bringing a good boat home that could turn into a pile of junk somewhere along the way Wink

A little skinnier and smaller boat and trailer

Click on the link below for some pictures

And if you keep reading after the pictures, you'll see his comment to Zonour about whether a 98 SN would fit

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2021 at 1:56pm
UPDATE...

Ok, so, I take my neighbor across the street skiing along with his kids;-). Told him my story last night at fireworks on his lawn....

His brother, a bank President, in VA, not far from my boat, bankrolls a facility in Louisa that can do the repair. Likely turned around by end of next week. Boat will be there in an hour or so....

Steady as she goes....
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2021 at 2:12pm
That is a good outcome.  Glad you are making it happen.  How far from home is the boat?
Mark
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2021 at 2:18pm
The U Haul trailer used to transport the Ski Tique has an open center section, that would make it hard to work with having the bad axle.  I think a solid platform, mine has a steel full deck or even some have a full wood deck would do the job easier but that is now for the next broken candidate to mull over.  If the boat is larger than a 196 a car trailer is too small for sure.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2021 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

That is a good outcome.  Glad you are making it happen.  How far from home is the boat?
Mark

Yep, should all work out. Boat is about 400 miles away.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
  Share Topic