NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Trailer HUB FAILURE!

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
Author
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2021 at 9:22am
Hey gang, it’s all apart and the tech says the spindle is good. So, we’re replacing both drums/hubs, brakes and their components, and of course all new bearings. Naturally doing both sides, the brakes never worked to begin with, and the backup bypass lever has never functioned properly....suck in ‘brake mode’, so we’ll sort that out as well, and put a controller on if needed.

I’ve asked for a pic of the failed drum and will post when I get it.

Ultra
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2021 at 11:00am
Dang, Mark. That took a while for them to get to it.  At least you can check that box on “Upgrade Trailer Brakes” from the bucket list. 

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2021 at 12:43pm
Good news you don’t need an axle.  My reverse lockout never worked properly either so I drilled a 3/8 hole through both sides and installed a lockout pin.   I have to push the boat uphill when backing to my garage.  Can’t do it with the trailer brake fighting me.   After using trailer brakes for 35 years I learned they need attention every year if you want them to work.
We’re they able to explain how the hub came off with the nut and washer in place?   Thanks for the update.
Mark M
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2021 at 12:54pm
I'd say Gindriver explained it in this quote from earlier (yea, yea, I know I spelled it wrong, but it sounds pretty good) Wink

Plenty (or at least enough) clearance once the cage and all those rollers turn into little tiny pieces

Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

I agree with Desert and some of Keno. 
Keno - if you didn’t destroy the bottom of the spindle grinding it along the ground you should be good. Agreed

Bearings are two piece units once the cage separates. The outer piece of both the outside and inside bearing would have the clearance over the nut allowing the wheel to separate from the spindle leaving the inside race and the outer shell of the seal. 
Have seen it happen before.
A good cold chisel and hammer can take the inner race off without much of a problem, so hold up on the puller rampage at harbor freight and just get a good cold chisel.

desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2021 at 2:48pm
Gotta love trailering.  This happened on our last trip.  My "fix" worked well enough to get it back to storage.

92 SN - Owned since 93
99 Pro Air
89 SN - Went to live on a lake in Texas
75 Donzi 16 - Sold in 93
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2021 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by desertskier desertskier wrote:

Gotta love trailering.  This happened on our last trip.  My "fix" worked well enough to get it back to storage.

That had to be a nice soft ride! Shocked
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2021 at 3:54pm
Hopefully they get you going soon then,has to feel like it's taking forever. David maybe it's softwood....
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2021 at 6:31am
Originally posted by ultrarunner ultrarunner wrote:

Hey gang, it’s all apart and the tech says the spindle is good. So, we’re replacing both drums/hubs, brakes and their components, and of course all new bearings. Naturally doing both sides, the brakes never worked to begin with, and the backup bypass lever has never functioned properly....suck in ‘brake mode’, so we’ll sort that out as well, and put a controller on if needed.

I’ve asked for a pic of the failed drum and will post when I get it.

Ultra

I think you should check your hour meter and check that lifting/tubing ring on the back too.

It's probably been fixed for a couple of weeks now and the repair boys have been out enjoying some hi flyin' tubing escapades with the boat Wink

I think this is them in the link, with another customer's boat

gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2021 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

I think you should check your hour meter and check that lifting/tubing ring on the back too.

It's probably been fixed for a couple of weeks now and the repair boys have been out enjoying some hi flyin' tubing escapades with the boat Wink

I believe that was Pete on his proto-type preparing for the national tube jumping compitition. I believe he went on tour after the nationals promoting his new sport of Tube Flying.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2021 at 8:56pm
Gun Driver

That move in the link is the Pretty Exciting Tube Ejection..............since that kinda a mouthful, it's been nicknamed the "PETE"  

Technically, in tubing lingo, it's a flying front flip with a 180 to the nads.Wink

You have to watch it at 1/4 speed for the best view of the maneuver.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2021 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

I believe that was Pete on his proto-type preparing for the national tube jumping compitition. I believe he went on tour after the nationals promoting his new sport of Tube Flying.

You got it. I'll no doubt need an oil change by the time I get the girl home!
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2021 at 12:40am
Well Ken, it looks like we don't have to take our 40 lashes after all.  The spindle is actually fine.

Have yet to hear if the hub is fractured.   If the bearing came apart without hub failure the only way I can see that happening is if the bearing was ultra loose.  The bearings run in a race.  They can't get out of that race unless there is excess clearance.   Mark's axle nut and washer are still in place but no idea how they were adjusted prior to failure but the wheel coming off can't happen with all the parts in place properly.
As mentioned Bearing cages do nothing other than keep them in place for transport and install.  Proper adjustment and the bearing race keeps them where they belong in operation.  If this was not true we would see this failure on all older cars and boat trailers often.  Heavy Duty Diesel Rigs, Class 8 trucks use the same system with larger parts, they don't fall apart if adjusted any where near properly.   
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2021 at 9:09am
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

Well Ken, it looks like we don't have to take our 40 lashes after all.  The spindle is actually fine.

Have yet to hear if the hub is fractured.   If the bearing came apart without hub failure the only way I can see that happening is if the bearing was ultra loose.  The bearings run in a race.  They can't get out of that race unless there is excess clearance.   Mark's axle nut and washer are still in place but no idea how they were adjusted prior to failure but the wheel coming off can't happen with all the parts in place properly.

But when those rollers become unrecognizable little fragments or turn into metallic dust from  bad adjustment, lack of lubrication, overheating, etc you now have enough clearance (there aren't any bearings left to run in the race) and the hub and wheel depart the spindle together. Especially if you been driving with the slop for a while and that washer gets machined down a little by the rotating, wobbling hub

It's not like this is the first time it's happened to someone's trailer.

Maybe we're saying the same thing ie something started the whole process like mentioned above.

No 40 lashes, but I did "enjoy" the prostate biopsy Wink
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2021 at 11:51am
I'm sure when we see the hub, it will show a complete fracture of the outer hub assembly which houses the bearings, as evidenced by what was left of the hub, still attached to the wheel.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2021 at 11:58am
Ultra, I've contacted the National Transportation Safety Board, they are headed out to do a full investigation of the bearing and hub failure.  They have reports of a bunch of old mechanics arguing about the cause and want it solved.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2021 at 12:01pm
PERFECT David! :-)
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2021 at 1:35pm
I did not consider the off shore bearing issue, the quality of those bearings were terrible initially but have improved over time, today even the top brands are from overseas.  Maybe those rollers did shatter, good old USA Timken bearings did not do that.  
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2021 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

I did not consider the off shore bearing issue, the quality of those bearings were terrible initially but have improved over time, today even the top brands are from overseas.  Maybe those rollers did shatter, good old USA Timken bearings did not do that.  

Or way down south maybe. 
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2021 at 3:59pm
It is ok to say CHINA
Nothing good comes out of China
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2021 at 5:48pm
My current trailer bearings from BCA said made in Romania.  They are still working but I miss the made in USA days.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2021 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

Ultra, I've contacted the National Transportation Safety Board, they are headed out to do a full investigation of the bearing and hub failure.  They have reports of a bunch of old mechanics arguing about the cause and want it solved.

NTSB reports hub intact....

Headed down next week to grab it.

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2021 at 6:03am

NTSB reports hub intact....

Imagine that Wink
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2021 at 9:47pm
Where did all the little roller thingys go? 
Guess that’s how they clear the little washer and nut on the end when they depart the trailer. LOL

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2021 at 6:42am

Hubs all serviced before my trip. 

The big white elephant whose been sitting quietly in the back of the room, taking all this in for over a month now, is wondering who serviced the hubs before the trip and what this service consisted of

You or a shop?

The same elephant says .........In the end, it's a relatively "not too hard" roadside fix that's taken at least 5 weeks out of your summer

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2021 at 8:49am
All on me Ken. All seemed good, no wobble, no binding. All greased. Entirely possible I lost a zerk, grease left the hub, and that was it. 

Given that we've essentially be in Chatham the last 3 weeks, with a couple of other boats, I haven't lost any sleep over it Wink
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2021 at 9:51am
Before a long trip like that I usually pull the wheels clean, inspect, and add new grease and seals. For everyday trips I just check for grease leaking from a bad seal, squirt a pump or two of grease, give the tire a wiggle check and hit the road. Knock on wood but using this system I’ve never lost a bearing on a trip.

Quote ” Entirely possible I lost a zerk, grease left the hub, and that was it.”

That’s one of the reasons why I don’t like those bearing buddy hubs. Years back I picked up a used snowmobile trailer with those installed.

During a trip I must have hit a pot hole in the road or something and one of the bearing buddy fell out, didn’t notice it till I was about to come home. Had to pull the wheel clean and re-grease and track down a cap for the hub. 

I bought two caps and threw away the other bearing buddy hub. Wont buy another trailer without posi-lube hubs. 

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2021 at 10:10am
I have traditional hubs. And that is what is going back on. :-)
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2021 at 10:36am
Every stop I make I do a trailer walk around with my temp gauge in hand. I never launch when the wheels and hubs are still hot from travel. I have bearing buddies on some trailers,the vault system on another. Carry bearings,seals and caps for trips except for the trailer with the vaults.except for this springs trip with the one bearing running at 195,for which I never found the reason, the only problem I usually have is losing 1 bearing buddy a trip.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2021 at 10:57am
What’s a “bearing buddy hub”?

I’ve found bearing buddies to serve very well as high quality hub dustcaps. Can’t say I’ve ever used them to grease a bearing, doing so certainly wouldn’t replace the need for a proper repack, if needed.

I’ve had good luck with the Chinese bearings and haven’t had any bearing issues on one that I’ve repacked. Suspect there is something problematic about the method used to service them, considering the premature failure. I would consider seeking some advice on that front.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2021 at 3:36pm
Sorry I meant cap not hub.

These things https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Bearings-Races-Seals-Caps/Bearing-Buddy/BB2047.html some like them, I didn’t have good luck with them.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
  Share Topic