NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Trailer HUB FAILURE!

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
Author
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2021 at 2:42pm
That is a very long distance to leave the boat behind, you are doing well to get this taken care of so quickly.  The pucker factor must be huge.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2021 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by ultrarunner ultrarunner wrote:

UPDATE...

Ok, so, I take my neighbor across the street skiing along with his kids;-). Told him my story last night at fireworks on his lawn....

His brother, a bank President, in VA, not far from my boat, bankrolls a facility in Louisa that can do the repair. Likely turned around by end of next week. Boat will be there in an hour or so....

Steady as she goes....

So how'd the boat and trailer get hauled the 60 or so miles from Warrenton to Louisa?

It's been almost 4 hrs, it must be there

Ya can't just leave this episode of the story unfinished Wink
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2021 at 6:19pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Originally posted by ultrarunner ultrarunner wrote:

UPDATE...

Ok, so, I take my neighbor across the street skiing along with his kids;-). Told him my story last night at fireworks on his lawn....

His brother, a bank President, in VA, not far from my boat, bankrolls a facility in Louisa that can do the repair. Likely turned around by end of next week. Boat will be there in an hour or so....

Steady as she goes....

So how'd the boat and trailer get hauled the 60 or so miles from Warrenton to Louisa?

It's been almost 4 hrs, it must be there

Ya can't just leave this episode of the story unfinished Wink

Ha Ken, good point...

So, BoatUS lined up Tommy's Towing, out of Culpepper, so they had some driving to get to the boat and then to Lake Ann. Insured and DOT'd, and they do heavy-duty stuff, so felt fine with them. They were sending a roll-off and were well briefed the wheel was off and to NOT leave it behind. Wink 

As of an hour ago, dispatch said they were just about to Louisa. I'm expecting a call shortly verifying delivery. 

I'll hook up with the shop on the phone tomorrow after they've inspected the trailer, and we'll come up with a plan of action....

At a minimum, new axle, hub, brakes and bearings on the right side. Possibly a new drum and heat shield?  I'll have them pull the left side apart and inspect. I'm guessing we'll do new brakes/actuator and a hub and whatever else needs attention on that side. Thoughts on bearing buddies? As you all know, I trailer a LOT, so don't mind spending the bucks to do it all right. 

Here's a post-fire pic after the smoke cleared and I dragged it to parking. The drum is still attached to the wheel. The brake shoes fell out when the wheel came off as I entered the parking lot, still smoking when I walked up to them... 

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2021 at 6:26pm
You dun did it now Mark

With that one picture, you're bound to generate at least 5 or 6 opinions on whether that spindle will be able to be reused  Wink
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2021 at 6:41pm

With that one pictured, you're bound to generate at least 5 or 6 opinions on whether that spindle will be able to be reused  Wink

Damn it Ken ....ya beat me to it! That spindle will buff out. Just polish it up a bit and she'll be good as new!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2021 at 7:17pm
Ha, no kidding guys. That spindle will wind up on the shelf with a few failed aircraft components I've collected over the years. A few of the latter left me stranded WAY further than a few hundred miles from home Cry

Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2021 at 10:20pm
Speedy Sleeve !!!!!!!!
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2021 at 11:04pm
cotter pin is still good, you should be good to go!,
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2021 at 3:24am
Wow, first time I have seen that failure.  Your nut, cotter pin and lock are in place?  The Seal is still in place but the bearing rollers are all gone?  The hub is gone the brakes are gone?

My guess, yep I will go right out on the limb and take the heat.   

Your hub fractured, I can't see any other way the wheel can be gone and leave all those parts on your axle spindle.   It looks like the inner bearing cones are still on your spindle.  There is a chance you will pull the nut and pull off both bearing cones to find the spindle looking just fine IF the dragging on the ground did not grind all the way through the lower half of the bearing cones and damage that axle spindle.  It very well might have but another positive, you don't show excessive heat on that spindle, no blueing.   Your brake drum is also the hub on trailer hubs with brakes and it is bolted to the wheel.  I am trying to wrap my mind around the failure fracturing the hub causing enough heat to light the grease on fire and still leaving the key axle components on the spindle looking pretty good.  I suspect the hub fractured, maybe a hard pot hole hit, when the hub fractured the bearings started falling apart letting the brake drag on the drum, the heat that lit the fire was the brake dragging on the drum before the total failure happened.  It does not even look like the seal burned up, it is still in place and seems to be in shape.  
Terrible failure on the road but it looks like you got off lucky on this one.
Can you share a picture of the brake drum?  That would be interesting to see.

If I am all wet on this one I will take the punishment standing up.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2021 at 6:50am
Normally I stay out of these arguments, like the spindle discussion last week, but.................if there's punishment to be given out to MrMcD, this is just to juicy to resist 

So I will boldly go out on the same limb as Mark and say that unless the spindle got bent or blued from excess heat, you won't need a new spindle or axle.

Since the shop will be seeing it up close and personal, they should be able to give you a good answer.

I'll take my punishment right next to him butt bent over with plenty of lube.

Now should that lube be synthetic or natural Wink

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2021 at 8:33am

Normally I stay out of these arguments,  butt................
I'll take my punishment right next to him butt bent over with plenty of lube.

Now should that lube be synthetic or natural Wink

As long as you're using the right oil with the proper amount of ZDDP you'll be okay! 
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2021 at 8:42am
Hell of a failure. Thanks for capturing that pic. It will be very interesting to see what’s still bolted to the wheel. Make sure they send you a picture!
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2021 at 9:04am
I will agree with Mark and Ken but will not line up to take the severe punishment that is being discussed!  
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2021 at 10:15am
Looks the same as mine did.  Once I removed what was left of the bearing the spindle looked OK.  Installed new parts and got back on the road.  There is still, 10 years later, a nice gouge in the road on the way back from our lake.
92 SN - Owned since 93
99 Pro Air
89 SN - Went to live on a lake in Texas
75 Donzi 16 - Sold in 93
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2021 at 11:19am
I agree with Desert and some of Keno. 
Keno - if you didn’t destroy the bottom of the spindle grinding it along the ground you should be good. Agreed

Bearings are two piece units once the cage separates. The outer piece of both the outside and inside bearing would have the clearance over the nut allowing the wheel to separate from the spindle leaving the inside race and the outer shell of the seal. 
Have seen it happen before.
A good cold chisel and hammer can take the inner race off without much of a problem, so hold up on the puller rampage at harbor freight and just get a good cold chisel.

Mark if you do get new spindles get these - https://youtu.be/nzKZ7hjExtk
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2021 at 12:11pm
Well will ya' look at all this discussion I started Wink

We're all pretty much agreeing but none of you sissies are gonna take any "punishment" except me and MrMcD
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2021 at 1:14pm
I was thinking 30 lashes Ken, that is as far as I will go, your punishment is far more extreme.

If the wheel/hub came off over the nut washer and lock I would have to say the factory washer was too small or weak.   No way a wheel should be able to come off with a proper nut, lock cotter pin and washer in place.  I never saw that in automotive applications in 40 years.
If that is how it came off that is a factory defective design at the trailer manufacturer.   START A RECALL!!!
Good luck with that most trailer manufacturers don't seem to be around long.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2021 at 3:07pm
It’s not an automotive application and yes it can. If mark was with the trailer I would say go with it but since he’s miles/hours away he’s at the mercy of what the shop wants to sell/be liable for.
Ok start with the beating. Big smile
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2021 at 3:08pm
Curiosity made me blow up the photo of your failed wheel end.  When blown up it looks like there is a gap between the washer and the bearing cone of maybe 1/4"?  Those two should be touching.  The washer pushed in by the nut holds your bearing adjustment.  The cotter pin is still in place so the nut should not have moved.
With 1/4" of play that wheel would have had major wobble issues before the failure, you would have noticed tire movement/wobble.  
The cage around the bearing rollers is just there to hold them in place for assembly.  Once assembled the cage does nothing that affects bearing life.  Some modern bearings have cages made of plastic today to save money and because there is no load on them.  The bearing adjustment and the tracks in the bearing cone are what keeps the bearings in place while assembled.   This one is an odd failure to figure out.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2021 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

I was thinking 30 lashes Ken, that is as far as I will go, your punishment is far more extreme.

I was talking about a colonoscopy, what ever did you guys think I meant Wink
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2021 at 3:33pm

I was talking about a colonoscopy, what ever did you guys think I meant Wink

To late just had mine Angry I feel so violated but at the same time cleansed. Big smile
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2021 at 4:37pm
Gun Driver I hope you are much smarter than I was.  You know you go through the fasting and purging the night before that procedure so when it is done you are really, really hungry!   I left the Doctors office and hit a nice restaurant close by and had a large bacon cheeseburger with fries and a Chocolate shake.  It was fantastic for about 45 minutes and then it came rushing out the wrong end.   I guess it is in the fine print to introduce food slowly and eat Yogurt for crying out loud, I missed that advice.  Took 4-5 days for the intestines to calm down.   All the under 50 crowd on this forum have so much to look forward to!  Now back to current programming and the trailer hub.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2021 at 4:52pm
From bearings and spindles and washers to colonoscopies and purging and bacon cheeseburgers rushing out the wrong end ..... Thumbs Down Censored
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2021 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

From bearings and spindles and washers to colonoscopies and purging and bacon cheeseburgers rushing out the wrong end ..... Thumbs Down Censored

That was not right on my part to mention a colonoscopy............I meant to say a prostate biopsy but I seem to mix the 2 things up.

They both start out on the same entrance ramp to the "Hershey Highway" but obviously you take different exit ramps to get to where you're going with that camera and other hardware Wink
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2021 at 7:38pm
Any update on the Trailer issue Mark?  I've been thinking about your issue and wondering what the mechanics found.   Have a great weekend.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2021 at 8:44pm
Hey gang, it was to go into the shop today. Should have the intel tomorrow.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2021 at 1:06pm
Mid-Atlantic got a bit jammed up last week, so they're going to take a look this week. They've also go the go-ahead to pull apart the left side and IRAN.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2021 at 12:40pm
Did Mid Atlantic fall asleep on your repair?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2021 at 12:51pm
YES!:-(

Short of wrench-turners combined with a couple of their rental boats needing repairs. They have committed to getting me an estimate this week and back together end of next. We’ll see... Oh all right
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2021 at 1:16pm
Sorry, that stinks but we are in the busy season.
Have you thought of a road trip and doing the repair.  That is tough with it so far away.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
  Share Topic