Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

100 amp alternator for GT_40 instructions?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
CW757 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CW757 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 100 amp alternator for GT_40 instructions?
    Posted: June-16-2021 at 6:42pm
Hoping someone might have a copy of the instructions for the 100 AMP ALT retro kit for a GT-40. Just got mine today from Nautique Parts annnd no instruction? Thanks
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2021 at 8:00pm
It's hard to have a copy of something that doesn't seem to exist, but if you were to post a picture of the harness that comes with it or if you can't post pictures here, tell what color all the wires in the harness are, you could probably get all the help you need.including diagrams you could reference Wink

These PCM "kits" for various things seem to come with either lousy instructions or none at all.

You must have got a new  breaker with the kit also?

Alternately since NP says it comes with instructions, you could call them and ask where they are.
CW757 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CW757 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2021 at 9:32pm
I’ll call them tomorrow. They were already closed today when I got the package so I thought I would ask here to see if someone had the instructions. I was not aware of the new breakers that I may or may not need? The description said it came with everything you need to covert it. The unit came with a positive and negative harness as well as PLC jump harness, which is just a plug with a red and green wire.
CW757 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CW757 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2021 at 9:40pm
Which breaker were you thinking of? This is the product page from Skidim, their description is a little better. Doesn’t mention any additional breakers needed.

ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2021 at 11:48pm
Having the same motor in my boat,  what's going on that you need the 'big dog' ALT? Big heater, big boom box? I mean 100 AMPS is a LOT when you're just running the usual stuff, which, is essentially nothing ;-) 
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2021 at 7:26am
If I bought a 100 amp alternator and wanted to actually use all 100 amps, I'd have a breaker or fuse sized to let me do that.

The original alternator was 51 amps with a 60 amp main breaker in the boat.

Now you will have a 100 amp alternator with the same 60 amp main breaker unless you do some different wiring that bypasses the 60 amp breaker for whatever you're using the extra amps for

I guess I'd call them and get the instructions before doing anything else

They should be able to e mail you the instructions

Or.............through the magic of the internet here's a link to an old post on Planet Nautique that has pictures and those elusive  instructions Wink

Their diagram will allow the full 100 amps to the battery and let 60 amps go to the boat wiring downstream of the breaker 

That keeps the boat wiring protected as it originally was and let's you put full current to the battery with a fuse in the alternator output.

That's a good thing Wink No new breaker needed the way the kit wiring is hooked up

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2021 at 7:32am
Originally posted by ultrarunner ultrarunner wrote:

what's going on that you need the 'big dog' ALT? Big heater, big boom box? I mean 100 AMPS is a LOT 

I too am curious about the 100 amps. 

???

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2021 at 7:47am
I have been using DB one wire alternators for years. I have had good luck with their products at a much lower cost.
CW757 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CW757 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2021 at 9:52am
Thanks for the link. To be honest, my Alt was going bad and it needed replacement so for the difference in price I went with the 100. To run the music and lights at night was pulling a considerable load on the 50 so my plan was to use the 100 and have a more stable electrical draw. I might be wrong, we’ll see. If it's over kill lesson learned.Smile Thanks again your your quick response and info!
CW757 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CW757 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2021 at 9:55am
Originally posted by ultrarunner ultrarunner wrote:

Having the same motor in my boat,  what's going on that you need the 'big dog' ALT? Big heater, big boom box? I mean 100 AMPS is a LOT when you're just running the usual stuff, which, is essentially nothing ;-) 

Not really, I run at night a lot at low speed with the stereo, lights, blowers, and kids charging phones.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2021 at 10:42am
You'll be fine........... glad to help Wink

PS Send a copy to nautiqueparts if they don't have any more to send to the customers
66_Cuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66_Cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2021 at 3:45pm
You might want to think about protecting that alternator output wire on the end with the big threat, which is the battery end.  If you have the small space required, this $22 critter would go between the cable and the stud:
https://smile.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Systems-5191-Terminal/dp/B0019ZBTV4

And the fuse is selected as 1.25 times the expected current so the fuse carries a max of 80% normally.  And conveniently there is a 125A fuse for another $22:
https://smile.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Systems-5187-Terminal/dp/B0017SHWKA

Remember that ABYC says all conductors need protection at the point they receive their supply.  The starting circuit is an exception but the alternator wire is not part of getting electrons from battery to starter.

If something wears thru that wire's insulation then that little $22 fuse will save a lot of unauthorized welding.  It is also a good idea to give it some more abrasion protection with some split loom, the self extinguishing kind is best for airplanes and boats.

Jack
66 Barracuda 318 Poly
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic