NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

carburation problem after winterize

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2021 at 8:23am
Originally posted by rwittmer rwittmer wrote:

Thank you very much. I checked on the HOLLEY website and they have the distributor in stock.
"MSD

FORD 351C-460 READY-TO-RUN MARINE DISTRIBUTOR

Ready-to-run distributors include a built-in ignition module. No MSD Ignition control required"

I'm now wondering if this model will work?

If so I will order it today.

That could work with some additional work.

It has the wrong gear for your 351W. The 351C/460 use a bigger diameter gear.

You can't swap your present gear on to the MSD because the shaft sizes are different.

Yours now on the Pro Tec assembly is .531 inches and the MSD is .500.

You could find a gear(.500 ,cast iron, normal rotation) and a coil also to go with the distributor.

I'd probably get on the phone and call places including DUI to find out about availability, since if you look at the same distributor M35820 with different color caps, the dates all seem to be different and you might find something in stock or shipping real soon at one of these places

I think Jonny Quest and his constant, glowing recommendations for the RED cap version have created a shortage Wink

Or go with the Mallory kit from SkiDim, Nautiqueparts etc. Your mechanic friend shouldn't have any problems and if he does, you can ask here

If you haven't already red the thread in the link below, then read it.............it might scare you or it might answer lots of questions.

Erik made it through and has a running boat

rwittmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwittmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2021 at 8:43am
Thanks again!
Well I decided to go for it and will order the parts needed. This will of course take some time. I will most probably need support from the nice people on this forum and I'm sure when everything is done I will be very happy with my Nautique.

Keep you posted as time moves on.
Rene Wittmer
rwittmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwittmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2021 at 9:02pm
Can someone confirm if I purchased the correct DUI Distributor. . 

I purchased FORD 351 DUI Marine Distributor RH (right hand rotation)

Item # DUI-M35820-RRBK  from SKIDM , So I just checked as discussed earlier in this thread it's a LH, so my bad, ordered the wrong part. I hope I can cancel my order at SKIDM,

I really feel dumb... 

Rene Wittmer
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2021 at 6:07am
OK, I'll confirm it...........you got the wrong one Wink

They for some strange reason only list a reverse rotation DUI distributor for a 351w on their website
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2021 at 6:48am
Can she just switch gears?
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2021 at 6:56am
I'd ask SkiDim if they have a normal rotation gear that they could put on for you and maybe you'll get pleasantly surprised.

Or, if your mechanic is comfortable with a gear swap and getting the gear placement correct for the Ford distributor you could order a 351W cast iron gear and he could install it. 

Or reuse your present gear which should be the right shaft size and material, but it'll probably need to have the hole for the pin redrilled to fit correctly at the right height.

But............if the gear is not at the right height, you could turn your camshaft and distributor gear into junk with a lot of metal shavings in the oil of your engine

The best solution is finding one with a normal rotation gear already on it, for warranty purposes if you were to have an issue with the new distributor.

And it's quite a bit cheaper to buy one with the normal rotation gear on it Wink

If you decide to go the new gear route, do plenty of research about proper installation, it's easy to screw things up.
rwittmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwittmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2021 at 7:53am
Thanks for the info. I will contact SkiDim and see if we can find a solution .

Updated June 20th, Well Keno you were right. After notifying SKIDIM that I had ordered the wrong ROTATION Distributor , I pleasantly received an E-mail from them on a Saturday (when they.re officially closed) and said they will correct my order, no problem.

So very happy about this.

Smile
Updated June 22nd. Just wanted to mention SKIDIM (Keren) are OUTSTANDING. Corrected my order and should be arriving next week. What's amazing is that when she corrected my order the LH is less expensive and mentioned it to me when she called me today. Blew my mind. There still are honest business owners out there and SKIDIM is one of them.
Rene Wittmer
rwittmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwittmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2021 at 10:15am
Just to update my parts order status:

Received Fuel line
DUI from SKIDIM should arrive mid July
QuickFuel Carburator B.O. until August 4th

So waiting on parts , not anyone's fault just need to wait.

Rene Wittmer
rwittmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwittmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2021 at 7:53pm
Received my DUI LH rotation today. Also received new sparkplugs and wire set. Thank you Karen from SKIDIM for changing.

So I now have the DUI, Fuel Line, Spark Plugs, wire set. Just waiting for the QuickFuel carburator which should arrive by early August from Summit Racing.

I will sure need some guidance on installation when doing the install.

Appreciated!
Rene Wittmer
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2021 at 9:52pm
The D.U.I. and QuickFuel combination is not cheap...but the results are worth every penny!

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
rwittmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwittmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2021 at 9:59pm
Thank you very much

Rene Wittmer
rwittmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwittmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2021 at 4:03pm
Hello Everyone,

Well installed the DUI and new QuickFuel Carburator and the engine just sounds fantastic. The only issue I had was that the cooling hose from the thermostat housing was too close to the new DUI distributor as the hose had swollen at the ends over time and it was also wire enforced therefore I couldn't get the proper timing. So as a solution I installed a high temp hi pressure silicon hose.

Can't believe the difference when starting and all. Thank you for all of your input which made the install easy.

Thanks,
Hudson

Rene Wittmer
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2021 at 4:27pm
ClapClap

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2021 at 6:41am
Originally posted by rwittmer rwittmer wrote:

Hello Everyone,

Well installed the DUI and new QuickFuel Carburator and the engine just sounds fantastic. The only issue I had was that the cooling hose from the thermostat housing was too close to the new DUI distributor as the hose had swollen at the ends over time and it was also wire enforced therefore I couldn't get the proper timing. So as a solution I installed a high temp hi pressure silicon hose.

Can't believe the difference when starting and all. Thank you for all of your input which made the install easy.

Thanks,
Hudson

Since you are Rene, just out of curiosity, who is Hudson?
rwittmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwittmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2021 at 9:09am
Haha, Hudson is my Nick name.Big smile
Rene Wittmer
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic