NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Helping a friend

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
gcam4 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcam4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Helping a friend
    Posted: June-07-2021 at 1:05pm
My apologies for posting this! But, I am helping a neighbor who hit ground hard last week with his malibu.  I went and took a look at the damage yesterday and his prop is destroyed and his strut is visibly bent. The shaft is likely bent as well since it was extremally difficult to turn.  I am most concerned with the gelcoat damage right around the strut mounting.  I can see fiberglass and there is a lot of gelcoat cracking in the area.  A friend of mine knows a malibu service manager and he noted that it is structural damage.  I just was curious as to what you guys think?  He has good insurance on it and will be covered if the damage is bad.  The inside of the boat looks fine and I see no visible damage.

desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2021 at 1:26pm
I did the same thing a few years ago.  The damage to my boat looked very similar.  I had mine repaired by our local Nautique dealer.  The insurance paid for everything.  New strut, prop, shaft, coupling, rudder, steering cable and gel coat repair.  Take it to a good shop and claim it on insurance.
92 SN - Owned since 93
99 Pro Air
89 SN - Went to live on a lake in Texas
75 Donzi 16 - Sold in 93
gcam4 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcam4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2021 at 6:21am
Thanks @desertskier!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2021 at 7:20am
Originally posted by gcam4 gcam4 wrote:

A friend of mine knows a malibu service manager and he noted that it is structural damage.  I just was curious as to what you guys think?   The inside of the boat looks fine and I see no visible damage.

The inside may look "fine" but I feel the Malibu service manager is correct. You don't get that much gel damage without flex causing internal glass fractures. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2021 at 7:25am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by gcam4 gcam4 wrote:

A friend of mine knows a malibu service manager and he noted that it is structural damage.  I just was curious as to what you guys think?   The inside of the boat looks fine and I see no visible damage.

The inside may look "fine" but I feel the Malibu service manager is correct. You don't get that much gel damage without flex causing internal glass fractures. 

This might be one of the few times Pete thought that somebody at a dealership was right about pretty much anything Wink

I think I'd agree with Pete
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2021 at 8:58am
Me too
gcam4 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcam4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2021 at 10:20am
Thanks guys!  I will pass this info along.

On a side note, that water box design for the shaft/log/strut is an odd site to look at.  Makes me happy that my dad engrained Nautique in my head at an early age!
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2021 at 12:58pm
Not really an issue, as you'll have it professionally repaired, but the shaft binding up could be more about the bent strut than a bent shaft. Easy enough to see visually. Spring for the A.R.E shaft on the repair, since it all has to come out. You didn't mention how old the boat is, but with the entire back end being removed for the repair, it's a good time to have the shop repack the rudder, and replace any old fuel lines, sending unit, etc....
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic