Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

347sbf prop size for mustang

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
Mustang347 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mustang347 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2021 at 11:14pm
Trb sorry to just be replying, I got the can ground back in 17. Did you get the name of the tech you spoke too? Also melling still has a large selection of Rh cams and will sell a blank. Keno lol like the caption, also are you speaking of cam gear as it's reverse , timing chain is a std double roller gear set or Dizzy which is Og Mallory
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2021 at 7:22am
Originally posted by Mustang347 Mustang347 wrote:

Trb sorry to just be replying, I got the can ground back in 17. Did you get the name of the tech you spoke too? Also melling still has a large selection of Rh cams and will sell a blank. Keno lol like the caption, also are you speaking of cam gear as it's reverse , timing chain is a std double roller gear set or Dizzy which is Og Mallory

We know the gear on the cam is reverse and the gear on the distributor is reverse also, but what are they made of?

Since a roller cam typically uses a hardened cam gear and the only reverse rotation gear available for a 351w distributor is cast iron that might work for a little while before some gear destruction takes place, certain people will be wondering what your distributor gear is made of and where you got it and how much you paid for it or just what you did so it will have a long and happy life married to that cam gear. Wink
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2021 at 10:28am
I didn’t write the techs name down but it wouldn’t help us anyways since he clearly didn’t have any knowledge to add.

4yrs isn’t very long ago, i haven’t worked with Comp in 8 or 9 years but I find it highly unlikely some magical RR blanks came into existence in the interim and disappeared again without a trace. A few of us here do have the extremely rare RH roller set ups in BBC and SBF form, but they come from limited run specialty companies and cost dearly. You’ll have to excuse our surprise at the suggestion that you can just call up Comp or melling and order one as easy as a ham sandwich. Flat tappet is another story, though those blanks are getting harder and harder to find these days… and the blanks have limitations on how much lift they can build in (nothing close to the specs your claiming has been available in the 15+ years I’ve been keeping track, afaik).

KenO makes some good points on the gear also- the specialty gears required by roller cams don’t exist in the wild in reverse rotation form either.
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2021 at 11:08am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

And then there's the question of the gear............(although there might be somebody out there who can say Abracadabra and whip one out of his stockpile) Wink

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2021 at 11:15am
Speaking of abracadabra and flying like an eagle what ever became of Steve Millers work with LSM? Thought this was the answer......
https://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=46907&PN=1&title=1977-302-pcm-engine
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2021 at 11:44am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Speaking of abracadabra and flying like an eagle what ever became of Steve Millers work with LSM? Thought this was the answer......
https://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=46907&PN=1&title=1977-302-pcm-engine

That is the answer.................he paid dearly for a cam and then figured out there were no distributor gears  that were compatible and LSM wasn't any help on the gears and he had to pay somebody else more dearly and ended up getting a dozen made.

Maybe people will pay him dearly so he can "take the money and run" Wink

Like TRB said, no readily available stuff without jumping through lots of hoops.

GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2021 at 12:11pm
Awesome steve millering Gary
I'm still perplexed like a space cowboy fitting a boss intake on procomp windsor heads while procomp has cleveland heads to make a proper clevor boss302
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mustang347 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2021 at 12:49pm
Trb, just spoke with Will at comp seems after some digging around as he's only been there the last 2yrs that around 16 early 17 was the dying off point of there RR stock. So as he told me, shoulda bought 2 as a back up! Keno I'm running a brass gear, which seems to be holding pretty smooth. Gottaski, I'm running the Boss intake because it was given to me also I got really good deal on the procomp sbf heads which were able to be port matched to the intake. But starting from the beginning, I posted about prop size and joined this forum because I thought it would be somewhat polite and informative. Which there has been that thanks Mcd and few others, but not to be picked over how I built my engine or where I got parts years ago. I also have a turbo 460 in a 77 a ls swapped 78 a built 454/ t5 swap in my 74 auto cross vette and a stroker going in my wife's maverick. And drive a 700hp f250 daily that gets 28mpg on the highway. So if anyones curious about those also Pm me an I'll give you my cell#
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2021 at 1:19pm
Umm.........most people here exchange information and when you show up with an odd ball setup they might like to know where you got the parts.

So.......where'd the brass RR gear come from? That would be a good exchange of info.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mustang347 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2021 at 1:34pm
Keno, Basic power industries out of NC. Also your comment is understandable, but the manner in which some are going about it is an obvious manner of ops no see that's not right I couldn't find info on the web so he's incorrect. I've been building motors with my dad for over 20yrs if someone has a sincere question than ask, not to respond and say they couldn't find anything on what I said there in its not true. Just as the tech at comp said this stuff is dying out especially Rr motors and if and when you can find it ya better get 2. Also this isn't a odd ball setup, it's just simple Rr and I was able to source what I need at the the time..
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2021 at 1:57pm
The information you asked for was in post #12.

Believe it or not, some people on the Internet are FOS.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mustang347 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2021 at 2:04pm
Trb now that I want disagree with, hence the reasoning i joined this forum. I hate social media ie Fb, instagram etc. Also can someone walk me through how to post pics
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2021 at 2:17pm
Click on the link and read down to the 3rd post, it has some picture info and also some guy's e mail address who would probably post a few or so pictures if you were to e mail them to him Wink

If you keep going, there's mention of posting to Imgur then doing a copy and paste.

It just ain't an easy thing to do.

GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2021 at 9:03pm
We really are on your side Tyrone , you must admit you have a one of a kind and odd setup and claiming 1.3hp/ci needs some examination to help you with your prop selection proper.
Your boat is small and light and you have inquired about launch vs top speed
What rpms do want to be at topped out at? Where do you predict the power peak?
I haven't seen your duration on the cam, that would help us too
Because right now you have a 351-4, high lift big valve aluminum head. And we can extrapolate from there because you are not alone with alum heads nor more cam.
Acme recommendation sounds steep to me if you are after hole shot with a big cam.
Hopefully you aren't afraid to spin it

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2021 at 8:40am
There are some extremely knowledgeable ford RR guys on this forum. The info they can provide is amazing for such small tight group. They will hang with you and help for several pages until your fixed
Sounds like you are a bit of a master as well
You have probably gained respect with your build
Please stay with us
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic