Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

347sbf prop size for mustang

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Mustang347 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mustang347 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 347sbf prop size for mustang
    Posted: June-04-2021 at 11:39pm
Trying to figure prop size for 450hp 347 on my 71 mustang with 12x15 federal
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2021 at 6:19am
Tyrone,
Send a PM or email to Billy asking him what he's running on his Mustang with a stroker. 

Welcome to CCfan. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mustang347 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2021 at 8:07am
Thanks Peter, wanting to give this little mustang hole shot not to concerned with to speed!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2021 at 8:18am
Tyrone,
I've had the pleasure of driving Billy's stroker and trust me, his Mustang has plenty of hole shot! Big smile

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mustang347 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2021 at 8:26am
That's awesome to hear, I sent him a message with detail on what I wanted to achieve. Really excited about this setup, I had ran the worn out hmm 302 last couple years just really enjoying the boat. But it was so bad that when we started to pull motor apart we quickly seen the timing chain was so stretched in surprise it hadn't came off lol not to mention the motor was locked up when first bought, nothing marvel mystery old didn't fix 😉
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2021 at 8:53am
Hopefully you get through but not optimistic.  Billy hasnt been on here is about 3 years.  This is going way back but last email I had for him was hobiedr@bellsouth.net.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mustang347 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2021 at 8:56am
Ok thanks Larry, hopefully someone will chime in with some info.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2021 at 10:02am
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Hopefully you get through but not optimistic.  Billy hasnt been on here is about 3 years. .

Larry,
It's been two years since Billy has formally signed in but, I do know he still visits looking at the parts forum sections.  Yes, hopefully he will connect.

The other possible way is via Facebook. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2021 at 12:40pm
You could click on the link below to get some reading on boat dr's boat.

link

It was a 331 in a 64 American Skier 

Sorta like comparing a Macintosh apple to a Gala apple. Wink

You'll find quite a bit of reading and some prop discussion too at times.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mustang347 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2021 at 1:25pm
Wow oh wow, thanks Keno! That lead to so many links of good info. Think I'll stick with my 12x15 for the moment, from all I've read it came with a slightly larger pitch being the moody 302 was a 235hp/9.5comp motor. I spoke with acme and they suggested a 13x13 but I don't have clearance for it, I've only got 7/8 with current prop
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2021 at 4:30pm
I don't want to put words in TRB's mouth but I seem to recall he has stated that an Acme's rake keeps the prop away from the hull ?  Maybe he will see this and comment
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2021 at 6:40pm
There are others here with 302 stroker experience in the 16’ hull. Reid has been running a pretty hot 347 in his 73 mustang for many years. I’ve got a 331 in my ‘71 Skier. Billy’s was a 331 too, btw… and he really liked a 13” diameter OJ 4-blade IIRC… which I would wholeheartedly NOT recommend for safety reasons.

12x15 OJ legend 3-blade and Acme 1214 would go to the top of the list. I would like to see some specs on how you squeaked 450hp out of a RH 302 based engine without pushing the powerband away from the useful marine range and into the auto range. If you’ve got a really wild cam and/or a lefty in there, all bets are off.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2021 at 7:05pm
Tyrone,
How about posting some pictures. I know I'd love to see some and sure others would too.

Tim brought up engine rotation but I too am curious. What rotation did you build? 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mustang347 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2021 at 7:18pm
Thanks Trb, it's still Rh also it's a late 302 roller block. Scat balanced assembly,11.1 comp, custom comp roller cam 558 lift 112lsa, procomp heads with 5 angle valve job, cnc ported, OG boss 302 ported intake man, Og Barry Grant 825 carb with blue cones, ported Hmm aluminum exhaust. Made best power between 5800-6200, yes I know it's not a typical 44-4800 marine engine, but I like fast point A to B racing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mustang347 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2021 at 7:20pm
Also this boat is just a toy, some waking boarding behind it as well as a tow swan (Swaney) lol. I have a pontoon that we cruise when it's family
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2021 at 12:23am
Dude this boat sounds sweet
Any chance you have video of a hole shot
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2021 at 7:47pm
You’ll have to explain the rh roller Comp… have never heard of such an animal existing. Boss intake meaning some sort of Cleveland top end? I’m confused.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mustang347 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2021 at 10:49pm
67 nat, been working alot so haven't got a chance to take it out. Also Trb, competition cams will grind you whatever you, give them a call if you want something special, and as far as the boss comment. I used a original boss intake my uncle gave me due to the stock 2.36 intake runners to work with the as mentioned Pro comp heads. So no mention of anything Cleveland. The engine is a pretty basic mild build and Rh still runs as simple as Lh
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2021 at 8:51am
Pardon our curiosity because saying boss and Windsor together is like sayin jumbo shrimp, i'm not privy to this intake you remarked
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mustang347 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2021 at 12:20pm
I tried attaching pics, but i'm unfamiliar with how to do it on this site. I'm using a Boss 302 engine intake that came on the 69-70 boss mustangs. Used they go for around 700 bucks on ebay and other forums, they have large intake runners that can't be used on stock 302 or 351w heads as such as the D0oe heads that came on my Hmm 302. I built this engine no different than the ones in my 77 f100, 78 f00, 72 Maverick, 74 vette aside from Rh vs Lh
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2021 at 1:33pm
Press the <Post Reply> to get picture options instead of using the quick reply panel

ah, so its a clevor  .   What was your exhaust solution?
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2021 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by Mustang347 Mustang347 wrote:

I built this engine no different than the ones in my 77 f100, 78 f00, 72 Maverick, 74 vette aside from Rh vs Lh

I'm a little curious about a Boss 302 74 Corvette myself Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mustang347 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2021 at 2:13pm
Gottaski, only Boss intake with pro comp aluminum heads with big ports.
Keno, good one but the vette packs a 454. Only chevy I own lol
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2021 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by Mustang347 Mustang347 wrote:

, ported Hmm aluminum exhaust.

Can't be he's still using the HM exhaust
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2021 at 2:27pm
Looks to me by these pictures that a true Boss 302 was based more on a Windsor rather than a Cleveland - notice the thermostat is mounted to the manifold like a Windsor rather than to the block of the Cleveland. http://www.boss302.com/intake.htm
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2021 at 4:58pm
Cleveland 4bbl heads had huge ports.  The true Boss 302 used those heads and made great top end power.
Ford did this to try and beat the GM 302 in the Z28 Camaro.  Those huge heads on the small engine would be weak under 4,000 RPM so prop it to spin some rpm
Not sure if you will find much power increase if you plan to run it under 5,000 rpm.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mustang347 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2021 at 5:17pm
Hit it on the Head MrMcd that's just what ford did and won the 1970 championship! Also yes big ports 2.36 height on the runners that's why I'm running cnc pro comp heads, couldn't do it with any type stock heads unless Cleveland. But also stroking it to 347 helped a lot, but yeah I could wind it to 72-7500 like the late model guys and get around 525 out of it lol
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2021 at 12:30pm
Might check to see what rpm the prop is safe to turn.  In drag boats the props are known to fail but they are pushing a lot more horsepower.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2021 at 2:53pm
When did you get that cam? I just called Comp to see if they had different offerings than the last time we had spoken… the tech told me they don’t have anything for a reverse rotation Ford and haven’t in a while- let alone a reverse rotation roller cam (as those blanks never existed, historically). We do know of at least one place who has sourced the roller blanks so there are a few kicking around out there in the wild, but they don’t appear to be doing business with Comp.

What’s the story? Did I get the wrong tech? (Obviously being able to “grind anything” is true- assuming they have a blank with which to start).
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2021 at 3:37pm

And then there's the question of the gear............(although there might be somebody out there who can say Abracadabra and whip one out of his stockpile) Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic