NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Protec to DUI pics

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
davidaha View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidaha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Protec to DUI pics
    Posted: June-03-2021 at 7:05pm
Have read quite a few posts on the protec to DUI conversion, but want to confirm with some pics.   My 92 SN has started cranking very slow when hot and is not quick to start when cold.    

Is this a pro TEC?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Bf3iqzjFwMmtt6NR7
92 Ski Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2021 at 7:08pm

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
davidaha View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidaha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2021 at 7:09pm
And is this the tell tale failure leak?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/DvcmjCMRuqNZZM6A9
92 Ski Nautique
davidaha View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidaha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2021 at 7:18pm
The sticky stuff that is leaking is pretty thick on the transmission
92 Ski Nautique
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2021 at 9:55pm
Yup.  ProTec.  I see a D.U.I. in your future (hopefully just the distributor kind...)

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2021 at 8:10am
If its oozing gel type funk, time to trash.
I have a 92 and suffered same issues. Did the conversion and all is well. 10 years ago now.
Good luck!
Js
davidaha View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidaha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2021 at 2:46pm
Thank you.   DUI and wires ordered.   Estimate is 5 weeks til shipping on the DUI...so hoping the protec holds together a little bit longer.  Jonny Quest walked me through the conversion process.  
Nauti Gator View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nauti Gator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2021 at 12:13am
I had the same issues.  Switched to the DUI and boat has run flawless for about a year so far.  Starts first bump of the key.  Kudos to Jonny Quest for helping me through the install.  I also installed their "live wires" - but be forewarned a couple of wires were too short for the marine manifolds.   Davis custom made 2 wires based on my needs and sent them to me free of charge.  Great customer service.
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2021 at 10:37am
Originally posted by davidaha davidaha wrote:

My 92 SN has started cranking very slow when hot and is not quick to start when cold.    

A failing protec module would not cause a slow cranking issue.  Cold start problems could be the protec but are more likely a carb issue.  I think that it's a good idea to swap out the protec but you probably have some other issues as well.
92 SN - Owned since 93
99 Pro Air
89 SN - Went to live on a lake in Texas
75 Donzi 16 - Sold in 93
davidaha View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidaha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2021 at 10:10pm
Finally got the parts and time to do the protec to DUI conversion.   The jPass instructions were great to follow, even without the pics.
Hope to be able to test it in a few days.  Had really tight clearance between the DUI and the thermostat housing.    Had to pull the hose to seat the cap.   Is this typical? 

92 Ski Nautique
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2021 at 12:16am
Unfortunately yes. I think someone either here or on the Shamrock boat site made a spacer to go between the intake manifold and the lower thermostat housing to give them some extra room.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2021 at 7:02am
Here's the CCF thread where a  spacer was needed in the link below

He used a 1/8 inch spacer mentioned in the second post from the end

A few people have had the same clearance issue.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2021 at 9:31am
You can get a longer shaft on the distributor, (1” I think it was)
I had to do that because of the manifold I was using.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2021 at 10:28am
On my 1994, the fit was close…but not THAT close.  I didn’t have to mod anything.  I did remove the T-stat housing before the DUI installation and then re-installed once the Dizzy was in place. There was adequate clearance to rotate the dizzy for timing.

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2021 at 12:27pm
Are there any thermostat housing options from other years that might move it a little to give more space?

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2021 at 1:30pm
Mine looked the same except I kept repositioning it until I had the best clearance I could achieve.  I don't have a picture but I think it ended up between two posts not touching one like yours.  Try removing it and trying different positions.  I think mine ended up with the connector on the other side from yours or maybe in the back.  Also I positioned #1 at about 10 or 11 o'clock looking at your picture.  That way there are 3 plugs wires on each side of the cap that go to that side of the motor.  Not a big deal just made the wire routing a little easier.  I did not have to remove the thermostat housing just the same hose that you did.
92 SN - Owned since 93
99 Pro Air
75 Donzi 16 - Sold in 93
ScottZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScottZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2021 at 5:22pm
I did not have to use a spacer on the old RR 351.
Scott Zuelzke
Lake Mitchell , AL

1984 Ski Nautique       
1972 Skier
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2021 at 8:10pm
There’s enough slop in the thermostat housing bolt holes to generate some radial clearance, if needed… suggest having a gasket on hand before breaking that seal though. Some fit a DUI just fine without having to touch it… others, not so much.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2021 at 8:14pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

There’s enough slop in the thermostat housing bolt holes to generate some radial clearance, if needed… suggest having a gasket on hand before breaking that seal though.

That or even ovaling the holes didn't work for Dan in CT in the link earlier in this thread, which eventually led him to the 1/8 inch spacer
davidaha View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidaha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2021 at 10:24pm
Originally posted by desertskier desertskier wrote:

Mine looked the same except I kept repositioning it until I had the best clearance I could achieve.  I don't have a picture but I think it ended up between two posts not touching one like yours.  Try removing it and trying different positions.  I think mine ended up with the connector on the other side from yours or maybe in the back.  Also I positioned #1 at about 10 or 11 o'clock looking at your picture.  That way there are 3 plugs wires on each side of the cap that go to that side of the motor.  Not a big deal just made the wire routing a little easier.  I did not have to remove the thermostat housing just the same hose that you did.

I did successfully run it using a hose in bucket on the driveway today with where I had dropped it in.  But I could not get the timing right with the limited rotation I had on the cap.  Ended up with a cap fastener pressed into the housing.

Repositioning sounds promising.  I think I would have enough dizzy rotation to set the timing, if at TDC on #1, the cap fasteners were not near the housing.  I had tried quite a few directions/times to get the dizzy to drop onto the hex oil pump, and ended up in this position.

This is my first ever dizzy install (have only tweaked old chevys for timing in the past), and followed the instruction sequentially to the end.   To reposition, do I need remove the plugs again, get it back to TDC on #1, then get the dizzy to drop in so a dizzy post lines up for #1 and the cap fasteners are in the desired spot?  Or am I over/under thinking this?

If not, then a 1/8 spacer on the lower housing would definitely do the trick space wise...just always nervous trying to backing out bolts on this boat.

92 Ski Nautique
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2021 at 11:55pm
I think I would keep it simple and just start over with #1 at TDC.  If you just pull it out you can rotate the body and keep the rotor in the same place but you will have to move all the wires to the new locations.  Either way you will have to move the wires but it could get a little confusing.  I had to turn the oil drive shaft with a hex driver (don't remember what size) to get the distributor to seat.  Make sure that whatever tool you use will not be able to fall into the engine.  If you use a socket or extension make sure to wrap some tape around them so they can't fall off.  Otherwise it is pretty easy to turn and get it to seat.  Also, once you set the engine to #1 TDC you can position the rotor to any terminal that you want.  Just make sure to connect the #1 wire to that terminal and then follow the firing order for the rest of the terminals.
92 SN - Owned since 93
99 Pro Air
75 Donzi 16 - Sold in 93
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2021 at 3:14am
An option that I think desert skier was offering is to leave the distributor in place and move all the plug wires one spot in the direction you wish the distributor to go, this advances or retards depending on what direction you move the wires.   IF your distributor can move a little it might get you close enough to time it.  Otherwise you are pulling the distributor and moving it one tooth or more to fix your issue by relocating the housing.   As long as your rotor points at the number one wire when you are at TDC on the #1 compression stroke the engine will run.  It does not care where you locate #1 as long as the rotor is pointing at #1 when at TDC.
Don't forget the crankshaft spins 2 rotations to every 1 rotation of your distributor.  You always need to know when you are actually at TDC on the compression stroke to properly set your timing.
davidaha View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidaha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2021 at 10:52am

Finally got time to work on the DUI conversion again yesterday.    Used a hex socket on an extension to rotate the oil pump slightly so that the dizzy would drop in exactly where there was the greatest thermostat housing clearance at #1 at TDC.   Set the timing, driveway test, lake test, and skied behind….Great way to start the weekend.  

Definitely can tell the change from the old failing protec.  Starts are immediate, idle is more consistent, and acceleration is smoother.

Can not say thank you enough to all the CCF members that:

• Posted about the DUI in the past as a solution for a failing protec (I had never heard of a DUI before searching here)
  • Provided detailed instructions on doing the conversion and experiences in doing the conversion. 
  • The members in this thread who help troubleshoot the clearance issue by providing options and related information.

I know it can get a little old answering repeat/similar questions from newer members (some of the threads on this conversion are a decade old), but it is REALLY appreciated.  Thank you.

92 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2021 at 11:42am
Well done!  You'll appreciate the D.U.I. performance.  It all boils down to air, fuel & spark.  The D.U.I. helps  nail-down the spark so you now can concentrate on tweaking your carby for optimum performance.

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2021 at 3:34pm
For future reference:

I installed mine with the connector at 9 o'clock in this picture and #1 wire/post at 11 o'clock.

92 SN - Owned since 93
99 Pro Air
75 Donzi 16 - Sold in 93
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2021 at 9:55pm
Don't mean to interrupt this thread, but I admit paying little attention to ProTec/DUI until now. Is the @$400.00 distributor basically all one needs to replace the ProTec? 
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2021 at 10:33pm
There are a few additional incidentals…new plug wires, new plugs, wire, connectors, electrical tape.  You get the idea.   I recommend removing the thermostat housing to facilitate dizzy installation (the pics above show the tight clearances). Then you would add the cost of a new thermostat and gasket. 

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2021 at 4:49am
Got it. Thanks JQ
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic