Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Runs the cold start after stopping

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Lil’Nauti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lil’Nauti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Runs the cold start after stopping
    Posted: May-28-2021 at 6:28pm
Hi! I’m new here; I just bought an ‘82 SN 2001 with a 351. It starts hard when she’s cold. My last trip out, I ran it for an hour-ish before stopping for about half an hour swim. When I tried to start her when we finished swimming, I had to try a few times before she would start again. What’s wrong? Anyone else have this trouble? Is my ignition switch going bad (sometimes when I turn it on, the gauges come on, but doesn’t crank)? Why would I have to prime it to start if it’s been running for an hour plus? Thanks for your help
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2021 at 6:01am

Joanie,
First welcome to CCfan.

Now, a little help would be great to clarify the problem. Are you saying there are times when the engine won't crank (starter turning engine) or is it cranking and the engine won't start/run? 

What do you mean when you say "prime"? 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Lil’Nauti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lil’Nauti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2021 at 10:43am
Hi. Thanks for welcoming me and for your reply.
What I mean by “prime” is that I have to pump the throttle a few times (like with a completely cold start) with the key on to get her to start after a 1/2 hr. swim. It seems strange I would have to do this since she’s already warm and has been running for an hour or so prior. It feels like it shouldn’t be so hard to start her back up. Sometimes the key turns, the gauges come on, but the starter doesn’t engage or crank the engine. Does this help?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2021 at 11:37am
For the no crank, first thing to check is the condition of the battery posts and the battery cable terminals. They need to be clean and tight. Cleaning both is best done with a wire type battery post/terminal cleaner. Next is the condition and the type of battery. Having a load test at a auto supply will tell the condition and the battery should be a starting type and NOT a deep cycle. 

Regarding the hard starting, a common cause is a carburetor in need of attention. After the engine is turned off, look down the carb throat to see is there is gas dripping. If it is then it's causing a flooding condition. Check and get back to us. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2021 at 2:38pm
joanie,
I'd like to add to your hard starting after the engine is warm. Next time you have the problem, open up the throttle at least 3/4's of the way. Do not pump the throttle as you describe as "priming". If your carb is dripping fuel, the open throttle adds extra air to the engine overcoming the flooded condition. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Lil’Nauti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lil’Nauti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2021 at 11:41pm
Thanks for all of your comments and suggestions. I will update you all with responses to your suggestions and advice next time I take her out. I checked, and Battery terminals are clean and wired firmly attached. Won’t be out this weekend because it will be too busy on the lake with the Holiday weekend. I will take the battery to Auto Zone and check the charge level before I put her in. I will try starting her with the throttle open 3/4 after my swim break. Thank you all, I appreciate your help! Happy Memorial weekend to all!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2021 at 5:17am
Joanie,
If you don't have one of these post/terminal cleaners, pick one up when you take the battery in for the test.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2021 at 7:21am
Do you go to Lake Lanier with it? There is a whole group of CC owners that can help you. Hit me up the next time you are coming out . Mike Hunter 678-227-8833
Lil’Nauti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lil’Nauti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2021 at 9:37am
Hi Mike, thank you! Wow, this is great news! Yes, my "go to" is Lake Lanier, typically launching at Big Creek Marina. I would really LOVE to meet up with you and other CC owners! I will call you this week when I go out, I'm thinking I'll go out on Tuesday

Smile Joanie 678-612-1133

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic