Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stiff Steering

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
BaccoBouncer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stiff Steering
    Posted: May-19-2021 at 7:07pm
My '97 Sport Nautique just got launched for the season.  I steering is horribly stiff.  It was showing signs of that last year.  I imagine it is mostly original hardware.  Before I go and pull things apart and try to figure out where to start I am looking for some council.  
Are there common tune up lube operations I should do (or have been doing)?
Are there parts I should just replace because it is an older system?  Like the cable? If it is really 20+ years old does it just make sense to start things off by replacing it? Seals?

Thanks in advance.
'97 21' Sport Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2021 at 7:10pm
Adam,
Disconnecting the steering cable at the tiller arm will tell you if the problem is or isn't in the rudder. You can do the same for the helm but, I'd say chances are high that it's the cable.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2021 at 8:20pm
Are there lubrication points or other maintenance items I should be doing for it in general?
'97 21' Sport Nautique
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2021 at 11:16am
I’ll bet you a dozen Dunkin’ Doughnuts that your steering cable needs to be replaced.  Some rudder shafts have a grease zerk fitting, but as Pete recommends, disconnect the arm from the cable and see if you can manipulate the rudder by hand.  Then see what the steering feels like with the rudder disconnected from the cable. If the rudder moves readily by hand and the disconnected cable is still stiff, then the cable is likely the culprit.  

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2021 at 11:20am
My wife said she thinks she knows what it is . To quote her. "The steering is stiff because she was on the boat"  Then she said "Do you get it, see what I did there?"

So I tested her theory and threw her overboard. The steering was still stiff, so that wasn't it.  So I'm going to go with your cable theory.  I just ordered one and a new rack for under the dash.

'97 21' Sport Nautique
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2021 at 4:55pm
But Bacco, there's another theory..........maybe you're the one making the cable stiff Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2021 at 4:59pm
I am right sexy.
'97 21' Sport Nautique
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2021 at 5:11pm

Darn tootin' you are Wink

How's that rudder holding up?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2021 at 9:01pm
The rudder is holding up well in it's new job...holding mulch in place.

'97 21' Sport Nautique
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2021 at 9:03pm
Thumbs Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2021 at 6:20pm
I have the new cable and took apart as much as I could for access. The one area not visible is where the cable goes into the floor behind the foot plate then comes out in the engine bilge.  I don't know what the path looks like in there.  What is the best way to install the cable?  top down? bottom up?  fish something through to pull it through?
Thanks
'97 21' Sport Nautique
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2021 at 6:42pm
Bacco

Here's a link to a thread with some detailed instructions for a 99 Sport. Not the same hull as your 97 Sport but close enough and both have rack type steering.

Some  steps may not apply but you'll get the idea on hooking up a rope, which way to pull the cable, and then put the new one in using that rope

Thank Samudj01 for taking the time to  write the post Wink

link

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2021 at 7:36pm
thank you!
'97 21' Sport Nautique
jerryhobgood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerryhobgood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2021 at 7:32pm
Isn't it better to pull the old steering cable from the stern of the boat, rather than the helm? My cable is stuck at the small hole under the dash due to the large size of the rack and pinion at the every end of the old cable. And it's very tight and inflexible due to limited space to work cable completely out.
It was suggested to try and pull old cable completely back through towards the stern and follow same logic in pulling new cable in, likewise.
I have an open bow '97 Sport.
Thx
Jerry
PS Penty of duct tape used to avoid hang up.
Jerry G. Hobgood
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2021 at 7:50pm
If your cable rack is stuck then it must not be easier Wink

A rack and pinion is usually easier coming out the front like mentioned previously because of that rack.

If you have a rotary cable, it's generally easier to pull it out the back 

Bacco has a rack system and so do you so pull it out the front to make life easier.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerryhobgood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2021 at 8:18pm
It's the long steel rod which connects to the rudder that is my problem, as it DOES NOT BEND! I did not describe correctly on my email.
But I have everything pulled thru the helm hole in floor except for that FINAL 8-12 inches of steel ROD!!! 
Can you offer a solution, as I have been considering cutting a larger hole in fiberglass hole OR cutting the OLD cable.
I do not want to cut fiberglass nor cable if possible.
Thanks for ANY solution whivh may not involve cutting.
Jerry

Jerry G. Hobgood
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2021 at 8:30pm
Did you turn the steering wheel all the way in the direction that makes that long steel rod as short as it can be?

One way, the rod will be fully extended and the other way it will be fully retracted.

That can make a difference in fitting through the hole.

Since things are already apart, you can pull the rack as far out of the cable sheath as you can to make the back end be fully retracted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerryhobgood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2021 at 8:34pm
Keno,
Thanks and those are great ideas. I hope the old rack and pinion box is not too difficult to get into!!!
J

Jerry G. Hobgood

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2021 at 11:52am
I just buttoned it up last night and took it out.  It was like butter.  I also changed the helm pinion to one that was recommended that has a wider tooth.
Lesson's. Because of the rack being attached pull out by the stern. Tie a rope for reinstall. I just cut that large nut on the stern end so it wouldn't catch inside.  When I got the cable out to the point the extended rod was up at the helm floor hole I just cut it with a grinder instead of fighting with it.  The new cable was fully retracted so it went in easy. 
'97 21' Sport Nautique
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2021 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by BaccoBouncer BaccoBouncer wrote:

I just buttoned it up last night and took it out.  It was like butter.  I also changed the helm pinion to one that was recommended that has a wider tooth.
Lesson's. Because of the rack being attached pull out by the stern. Tie a rope for reinstall. I just cut that large nut on the stern end so it wouldn't catch inside.  When I got the cable out to the point the extended rod was up at the helm floor hole I just cut it with a grinder instead of fighting with it.  The new cable was fully retracted so it went in easy. 

Well, this is confusing, you say to pull out by the stern, but it sure sounds like you pulled it out up at the front by the helm Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2021 at 2:22pm
Yes you are right.  I am car guy doing boat stuff and don't know water words so well. I pulled the old one out by the hole where the clutch pedal is supposed to be.  When I got to the rod and realized that it wasn't fully retracted I just did what any man would do and got a cutoff wheel.
'97 21' Sport Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerryhobgood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2021 at 7:59pm
And THAT will be my fall back method IF I can't shorten the steel rod by "adjusting" the rack and pinion. BTW it is currently laying in the middle of my boat! Removing the Rack and Pinion was the FIRST thing I did! 
I am also installing a NEW cable which was recommended by Nautique.

Jerry G. Hobgood

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerryhobgood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2021 at 6:32pm
Thanks for all the input as I was able to temporarily reconnect the rack and pinion w/ two bolts, turn the steering wheel until the last portion of the steering rod was at it's SHORTEST LENGTH. Then I was able to easily return the remaining short section which had heretofore been STUCK!!!
They should instruct one to shorten that rod by turning steering wheel as an EARLY STEP!!! 
Now to install NEW Seastar cable and back mount rack. Any video/comments???
Thanks 
J
Jerry G. Hobgood
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2021 at 6:28am
Glad it's out, Sometimes you just have to outthink the steering cable

Good job getting it out

I think your KEYBOARD needs a LITTLE attention, it seems to randomly YELL some WORDS!!!  Wink

Only YOU know what you bought for a NEW cable and HELM so it's kinda hard to give any comments that might HELP

PS........... I see that you started a new thread on this so to avoid confusion, there's no need to continue in this thread.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic