Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Key stuck in prop

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
GTH852001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTH852001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Key stuck in prop
    Posted: May-16-2021 at 9:23pm
Hi All,

I read through the prop pages and didn't see any mention of the issue I am having on my 1985/2001. I am removing the prop for strut bearing replacement and possible prop replacement. The prop is loose but the key is stuck in the prop so the prop will not come off.   I have tapped on the key with a narrow punch but it is not moving. Also soaked in PB blaster no help yet.

The prop hasn't been off for 20 plus years, yes that means my strut bearings have not been replaced in 20 plus years.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2021 at 10:07pm
Maybe remove the rudder, remove the transmission coupler flange, then pull the whole shaft out.

Then you can work on it without hitting your head on the rudder, etc.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2021 at 5:17am
Greg,
What type of prop puller are you using? Some of the C clamp styles will stretch too much. Have you tried any heat?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2021 at 5:36am
Originally posted by GTH852001 GTH852001 wrote:

The prop is loose but the key is stuck in the prop so the prop will not come off. 

Thanks!

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Greg,
What type of prop puller are you using? Some of the C clamp styles will stretch too much. Have you tried any heat?

I think he's using a puller that works since the prop is loose already.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2021 at 6:12am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

The prop is loose but the key is stuck in the prop so the prop will not come off. 

Thanks!

Greg,

I think he's using a puller that works since the prop is loose already.

Possibly not using a puller since if he was, the puller should pull the prop off a stuck key. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2021 at 6:16am
I'm a little slower than normal this morning Pete................the key is stuck in the prop so why don't you explain how the puller will get the key out of the prop
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2021 at 6:55am

I'm a little slower than normal this morning Pete................the key is stuck in the prop so why don't you explain how the puller will get the key out of the prop

The prop is loose but the key is stuck in the prop so the prop will not come off.  .

The prop hasn't been off for 20 plus years, 

"the prop will not come off"

"the prop hasn't been off in 20 years'

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2021 at 7:22am
What about those other words you quoted............"the prop is loose"

it's loose and with the key stuck in the prop, he can't slide the prop off of the shaft
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2021 at 7:26am
My first thought was time to start hitting the gym when I saw this last night. Second thought was to pull it off with the puller- stack a 1/4 “ deep socket between the puller and shaft if needed and keep going. Rather than go through all the work of removing and reinstalling the coupler and rudder cut the prop off 😉
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2021 at 7:34am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Second thought was to pull it off with the puller- stack a 1/4 “ deep socket between the puller and shaft if needed and keep going.

Yes, if he's run out of thread on the puller, then I too would back it off and add spacers. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2021 at 10:05am
Well Pete, you can read it however you want to but obviously you've never tried to get a prop off that's been loosened with the puller and the key is stuck in the prop like he stated

It can't be done without destroying/damaging something because that key hits the threads when you're trying to get the prop the rest of the way off the shaft.

The key has to be out of the prop if you want to get it off without damaging anything

Give it a try.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2021 at 12:03pm
I don’t see why this is so hard to understand, ha. The solution, unfortunately, is a PITA.

The last time this happened to me, I took a grinder to the shaft threads in order to give the prop (with stick key) a way off. Not pretty, but effective- and I have used the shaft subsequently (just clean up the threads).

Getting the key out of the prop even once it’s off the shaft is still a big problem- but if the prop is old enough to have this happen to it, it’s likely a mantle ornament anyways.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2021 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I don’t see why this is so hard to understand,
I don't understand the issue ether.

The stuck key jobs I've done a couple did did get stuck on the threads but with the brass keys, the key takes more damage than the threads. Then a little tune up of the threads with one of these and you're back to good.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2021 at 1:25pm
0% chance of getting my most recent stuck key past the threads without the clearance job… the location within the taper where the key is stuck probably is a factor in whether it’ll sneak past the threads or not.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2021 at 1:30pm

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I don’t see why this is so hard to understand,
I don't understand the issue ether.

The stuck key jobs I've done a couple did did get stuck on the threads but with the brass keys, the key takes more damage than the threads. Then a little tune up of the threads with one of these and you're back to good.

So i guess now you finally understand the title and his problemWink
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2021 at 1:50pm

So i guess now you finally understand the title and his problem

I never had any doubts and the reason my first question was what type of puller he was using. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2021 at 1:53pm
Umm yeah .....Whatever you say Wink
GTH852001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTH852001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2021 at 3:26pm
This thought did pass through my mind, since I probably will need the shaft out to get the strut bearings out.  Will the shaft come out with the prop still on it if the boat is on the trailer?  Looks like it might not clear the trailer skid plate.  Sorry no picture but I hope you know what I mean.

Thanks,

Greg
GTH852001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTH852001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2021 at 3:32pm
TRBenj,

That would do it, not sure I could make such a cut under the boat.  I may try to pull the whole thing out as I wanted to change strut bearings too.

Thanks,

Greg
GTH852001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTH852001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2021 at 3:39pm
8122pbrainard,

I am using a three bolt (all thread) style puller. U shape (three threaded holes) behind the prop, with U over shaft and a round circle with three through holes on end of shaft/nut.  I have the prop loose, it slides about 3/4" of an inch from operating position towards the back of the boat until the key hits the shaft threads.  I have already buggered up the thread nearest the keyway from running the key into the threads.  I guess I could pull it over the threads and clean up the threads later.

Thanks,

Greg

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2021 at 3:52pm
Greg,
If you can't move the key to avoid the threads then I feel you keep going with the 3 jaw puller is an option. The key should be brass so it will get damaged more than the threads on the shaft. Keep going and see what happens. The prop nut is there to seat the prop on the taper and not to hold it on so I don't feel that with some threads missing you will have a problem. Just make sure you lap the new or the old prop back onto the shaft. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
GTH852001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTH852001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2021 at 4:21pm
All,

Thank you for all the suggestions!  As I was considering replacing the prop too, any suggestions on where to find the best replacement prop prices online?

Wakemakers? 
My Inboard Marine?

Are the ACME 540 or 542 that much different?

Thanks,

Greg

Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2021 at 4:31pm
Acme seems to be the go-to manufacturer for props.  Delta Propellers is (or used to be) a site sponsor, and is a good source. Also forum member Tim Benjamin (TRBenj) is an Acme dealer.  Give them a call for prop advice. 

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2021 at 5:13pm
Greg,
Just as JQ mentioned, the Acme props sure seem to be the go to but alot depends on what you have now. If the present prop is a older cast/hand worked then you will definatly see a major difference. If you go Acme, they too recommend lapping their props to the shaft. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2021 at 6:05am
GTH

Post pictures of the shaft threads when you're done Wink
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2021 at 7:10am
I guess GTH is having a real hard time getting the prop off or maybe he just "ain't ever gonna update this thread" Wink

I ran into one of these dismantling a boat a couple of days ago and had a shaft that looked at lot like TRB's picture when I was done

scootdogydog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scootdogydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2021 at 8:01am
This is something that I encountered last year.  The key split in half when I hit it out.  

galling
1999 Python
1980 Ski Tique
1968 Mustang WIP
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2021 at 8:33am
Originally posted by scootdogydog scootdogydog wrote:

This is something that I encountered last year.  The key split in half when I hit it out.  

galling

The key sheared because somone didn't install the prop correctly. I'd say it wasn't lapped to the shaft so all the torque was through the key. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic